The other games today - 2009/10

Dave

Strangely, I have yet to meet a Chelsea fan. However, I seem to meet Liverpool and ManU "fans" almost daily, and god do they make sure I know how good they are and how magnificient and storied their clubs are. I don't think there are that many Chelsea gloryhunters as one would believe, at least overseas.

Give it time. When they win the CL, it'll be f***ing horrific.

Honest question, are Barça fans as obnoxious? I can totally understand that we might be. People of my age grew up when Barça won the league once a decade, but the young'uns are pretty spoiled.

:dave:

I know I know, but for the supposed #2 team in the country that was rather poor! We won the league twice from 1961-1989, and then 9 times from 1990-2009. Our upturn on fortunes is relatively recent. (we were pretty successful in the 1950s and before, though).

Strangely, I have yet to meet a Chelsea fan. However, I seem to meet Liverpool and ManU "fans" almost daily, and god do they make sure I know how good they are and how magnificient and storied their clubs are. I don't think there are that many Chelsea gloryhunters as one would believe, at least overseas.

Honest question, are Barça fans as obnoxious? I can totally understand that we might be. People of my age grew up when Barça won the league once a decade, but the young'uns are pretty spoiled.

I know I know, but for the supposed #2 team in the country that was rather poor!

:lol: I understand it as a Yankee fan.

I know I know, but for the supposed #2 team in the country that was rather poor!

:lol: I understand it as a Yankee fan.

God, I wish I cared enough about baseball just to be a Yankee fan.  :lol:

Change your name to Drogba, and have a Drogba photo then. Put it where your mouth is. Probably your arse. ;)

Hilarious.

Ronaldo is the better striker and the best player i've ever seen.

Best goalscorer, yes. Best striker, maybe (others had more to their game, but I think I'd still have him in my lifetime starting XI). Best player absolutely not.

In his prime who came close?

Zidane was a better player.

Nobody since Maradona was as good as Ronaldo was between 1996-1999.

Well, i've not seen the others apart from Zidane. Which is why I said "Ronaldo is the better striker and the best player i've ever seen".

I'm 23 man, how on earth do you expect me to have seen Maradona, Sócrates, Van Basten, Zico and Francescoli for the love of god?

and Zidane? You're having a giraffe mate, Ronaldo in his prime could influence a game like Zidane could only dream of.

Don't think i've ever come across someone who is so wrong about most of what they say yet is so confident in there own opinion.

Don't think there's anything 'so wrong' about saying Ronaldo was a better player than Zidane. In his prime he was absolutely unstoppable.

Piffle tbh.Ronaldo was a fantastic striker no doubt,but Zidane was the best player in the World for 8 or 9 years.

Can you name me these 8 or 9 years? Because there's no way he was at the top of his game for 9 years. He was at his peak from around 1999-2002.

Love to know how many of these Zidane fans watched him play between world cups.

Yeah remember him winning Champion's League with Madrid a couple of times and also Euro 2000 with France...he also had 2 exceptional world cups...98 and 2006.

Ronaldo?

Zidane wasn't exceptional in France '98 at all. Ronaldo and Bergkamp were probably the two best players in that tournament.

As a midfielder,you couldn't keep ZZ out of the game but you could starve the service to Ronaldo...although the last 10 years of his career,you wouldn't see the words "starve" and Ronaldo in the same sentence.

Yet at his peak that never mattered. He didn't need service, he could go past defences on his own and finish it as well.

Ronaldo is one of my favourite players of all time but it's practically impossible to separate him and Zidane (not least because they play different positions), to say one is so much better than the other is mental.

I don't know how you can say Ronaldo won 2002 himself but not the same about Zidane in France's 06 success.  Ronaldo had Rivaldo and Ronaldinho in amazing form backing him up, who did Zidane have?

Zidane was only outstanding in that Brazil quarter final. It was a farce he got voted best player of the tournament. Rivaldo was probably better than Ronaldo in 2002 IMO. Outstanding player.

Village, i'd consider Ron's prime to be 97-03 roughly.

I'd say 1996-1999. Even though he was obviously brilliant in the 2002 World Cup he wasn't the same player as 3 years before.

I agree with that. He was never as mobile and dynamic after his knee troubles.

Yup. He still had electrifying pace but not like before when he could pick the ball up from inside his own half and skin 6 players and still score. An underrated finisher in his prime btw. The amount of times he was about 20 yards out and he would side foot it with immense power into the corner was class. I'd also like to say his left foot was brilliant too.

Just go and look for the goal he scored for Barcelona against Compostela. One of the best ones I have ever seen scored by a Barça shirt. He just makes the whole thing by himself.

I rate the one against Valencia (the hat-trick game) just as good as he was playing against better opposition. I say one but he scored two peaches in that game. Or the one against Deportivo when he was on the floor and got up and nicked the ball away from the defender.

Bobby Robson's reaction to that Compostela goal was brilliant like.

Just go and look for the goal he scored for Barcelona against Compostela. One of the best ones I have ever seen scored by a Barça shirt. He just makes the whole thing by himself.

I rate the one against Valencia (the hat-trick game) just as good as he was playing against better opposition. I say one but he scored two peaches in that game. Or the one against Deportivo when he was on the floor and got up and nicked the ball away from the defender.

On retrospective we kinda came out fine. But for long time I thought that losing Ronaldo would have been one of the biggest turning points in our recent history. The things we could have done with a Ronaldo in his prime and the squad we had in the mid-late 1990s (Figo, Rivaldo, Luís Enrique... might not have signed Rivaldo with Ronaldo on the team though), not sure who could have stopped us.

In England? Not, really. There must be thousands and thousands of people in Newcastle alone who own a Barca shirt, but for the most part, I just add them to the pile of people who own Brazil shirts: people who appreciate attractive football.

I can understand kids idolizing teams like Chelsea, Barca, etc., but their parents should beat it out of them sharpish, tbh. It's a fine line between admiring Messi and being some kind of X-Factor, celeb whore.

Totally agree. You support your local club and admire others, that's how it should be.

I grew up in North London (mostly), and when I was a kid you were either Spurs, Arsenal or glory-hunting Liverpool. There was one West Ham, no Chelsea, a couple of Orient and only one Man U - I can even name him, Tasos Anastasiou. I dread to think what it would be today.

As for Chelsea, I actually have no problem with them now because they are so removed from the club they were when I grew up. I know a couple of fans who stopped supporting them when Abramovich came in, and I can't take any of their new fans seriously at all. Of the Big Four I hate Arsenal, for obvious reasons, and Liverpool because they're who I grew up hating.

On retrospective we kinda came out fine. But for long time I thought that losing Ronaldo would have been one of the biggest turning points in our recent history. The things we could have done with a Ronaldo in his prime and the squad we had in the mid-late 1990s (Figo, Rivaldo, Luís Enrique... might not have signed Rivaldo with Ronaldo on the team though), not sure who could have stopped us.

Out of interest, how highly do you rate Rivaldo?

I loved him when he played for Barca, but I often thought he never got the recognition he deserved. I mean, he's considered a great player, but I don't think he's ever really mentioned up there with the likes of Zidane. Some of the things he did for Barca were simply unbeliebable (the Valencia hattrick being a prime example), and he was Brazils best player when they won the WC in 2002. Maybe his reputation is marred by the Turkey incident or the fact he has continued playing at a lower level has detracted from how good he was during his Barca period.

Anyway my opinion is that he's not regarded quite as highly as he should be, but I'd like to know the opinion of a Barcelona fan.