The other games today - 2009/10

Dave

OptaJose 1 - Atlético Madrid are in the semi finals of the Europa League despite having won only one game this season in Europe (CL & EL). Loophole.

about 1 hour ago  

:kinnear:

How about that away goal rule? :)

Away goal rule or not , that's pretty astonishing

i'm sure someone made the champs lge final not so long ago under similar circumstances.

OptaJose 1 - Atlético Madrid are in the semi finals of the Europa League despite having won only one game this season in Europe (CL & EL). Loophole.

about 1 hour ago

i'm sure someone made the champs lge final not so long ago under similar circumstances.

Rangers in the Waffa certainly didn't win many games a couple of years ago.

One of the most exciting games I remember watching at the Camp Nou was a 0-0 draw that sent us to the CL final. Sometimes what's at stake matters more than how many goals are scored. My Atlético friends are delighted with their EL campaign and they couldn't care less how they got there.

I reckon Liverpool will do them, sadly.

about 1 hour ago  

Rangers in the Waffa certainly win many games a couple of years ago.

may well have been them.

Guest Heneage

Aguero  booked for leaving the field too slowly. Misses the first leg against Liverpool.

Ref has completely lost the plot.

Good, Aguero has been in pretty s*** form lately.

Up there with the likes of Drogba, Villa and Torres as the best striker in the world, don't you know?

He's a very, very good player. This constant criticism of him is quite idiotic.

Thank you. Aguero has shown numeros times he's a fantastic talent he's just needing a better team arond him to truly realise that potential.

I imagine Towelie was one of those who laughed when I said Benfica weren't playing very well, again proved by tonights 4-1 stuffing from Liverpool.

No, in fact I didn't see that post, as well as me betting on Liverpool in two different accumulators. I did laugh at you when you said that Aguero is one of the best strikers in the world though.

:lol:

How come Espn stopped showing Dutch football on a Friday night anyone know?

Wembley again tomorrow.

I've been telling myself since the draw that we won't get anything, that I should expect nothing, and that it'll be just another decent day on the piss.

That seems to have gone out of the window today and I've spent the entire day thinking about it, and the fact we've actually - 7-1 excluded - got a more than decent record against Chelsea.

*shakes fist at sky*

Wembley again tomorrow.

I've been telling myself since the draw that we won't get anything, that I should expect nothing, and that it'll be just another decent day on the piss.

That seems to have gone out of the window today and I've spent the entire day thinking about it, and the fact we've actually - 7-1 excluded - got a more than decent record against Chelsea.

*shakes fist at sky*

I'm actually going to watch that one with some friends as a warmup to the Real Madrid - Barça game. Good luck there, brummie.

Wembley again tomorrow.

*shakes fist at sky*

I'm actually going to watch that one with some friends as a warmup to the Real Madrid - Barça game. Good luck there, brummie.

Cheers. mate.

I'm not one for watching matches that don't involve us, but having watched Barcelona over the two legs of the Arsenal tie and found myself with hairs standing up on the back of my neck several times, I'm recording your match to watch when I get home.

I hope you do 'em good and proper.

Also, the Spanish press has quoted O'Neill saying that "they have to play like Barcelona" to beat Chelsea, which doesn't make much sense given how we struggle every time we play them! (and I'm sure he's been misquoted somehow).

At least Barca's game isn't part based on very attacking full backs, an area where MO'N excels himself...

Also, the Spanish press has quoted O'Neill saying that "they have to play like Barcelona" to beat Chelsea, which doesn't make much sense given how we struggle every time we play them! (and I'm sure he's been misquoted somehow).

The only thing I can think he possibly means is to work hard to get the ball when we don't have it (he can't possibly mean anything else, mind).

I was hugely impressed with that in your matches against Arsenal. It wasn't just about what you did when you had the ball, you worked unbelievably hard to get it back - and not just one man, two or three closing down the player with the ball.

I read this week - and this is probaby not true, but it is still interesting - that in training at Barca, players are told that in practice matches, when they lose the ball they have five seconds to get it back.

to be honest, the only similarity we'll have with Barcelona is the colours we wear.

Guest kingdawson

I'm very nervous about our semi tbh. I'm not liking the fact that Dindane will play. Anyway we shall see.

Anything can happen in a one-off game.

I wouldn't write Portsmouth off at all (although I'd rather play them than Chelsea, obv).

There's also that romantic aspect of them winning it again which kind of sounds insane and unlikely to happen, but it makes you wonder a little ...

Are you going, KD?

Guest kingdawson

Btw on the subject of Kun. Trust me he's overrated. Good player but not clinical enough and misses quite a lot of easy chances. He's nowhere near the calibre of a Drogba or Torres or Rooney, that's for sure.

Still has a lot of time to develop though but Atletico should cash in on him and spend that cash on some defenders and a creative midfielder.

The only thing I can think he possibly means is to work hard to get the ball when we don't have it (he can't possibly mean anything else, mind).

I was hugely impressed with that in your matches against Arsenal. It wasn't just about what you did when you had the ball, you worked unbelievably hard to get it back - and not just one man, two or three closing down the player with the ball.

I read this week - and this is probaby not true, but it is still interesting - that in training at Barca, players are told that in practice matches, when they lose the ball they have five seconds to get it back.

to be honest, the only similarity we'll have with Barcelona is the colours we wear.

Yeah, our pressing game was introduced by Rijkaard, and Guardiola has put even more stress on it through all levels of our youth structure. I think it's the key to our success actually, before that you took the ball from us and we were useless.

Guest kingdawson

Anything can happen in a one-off game.

I wouldn't write Portsmouth off at all (although I'd rather play them than Chelsea, obv).

There's also that romantic aspect of them winning it again which kind of sounds insane and unlikely to happen, but it makes you wonder a little ...

Are you going, KD?

Yeh i'm going

to watch it on Sky sports :snod:.

I must say I kinda envy your Wembley tradition. We just play our cup finals in neutral venues, and the semis in home/away legs and it doesn't have that special feeling. But we have never had a "national stadium".

Our FA trampled all over our Wembley tradition when they started holding Cup semi finals there. it totally devalues the mystique of Wembley if you get to go there for the semi final too.

I must say I kinda envy your Wembley tradition. We just play our cup finals in neutral venues, and the semis in home/away legs and it doesn't have that special feeling. But we have never had a "national stadium".

Our FA trampled all over our Wembley tradition when they started holding Cup semi finals there. it totally devalues the mystique of Wembley if you get to go there for the semi final too.

seconded brummie.

seconded brummie.

Rather go to Wembley than shitty Villa Park  :fishing:

seconded brummie.

Rather go to Wembley than shitty Villa Park   :fishing:

Hint:

If you're going to fish, don't back your Vauxhall Nova up to the river bank, gigantic boot speaker exposed and blaring out cacky RnB bilge at top volume whilst you hammer away with a pneumatic drill.

seconded brummie.

Agreed. Problem now is they'd never pay for the new stadium without doing so.

seconded brummie.

Hint:

If you're going to fish, don't back your Vauxhall Nova up to the river bank, gigantic boot speaker exposed and blaring out cacky RnB bilge at top volume whilst you hammer away with a pneumatic drill.

:lol:

seconded brummie.

Hint:

Taken onboard  :lol:

seconded brummie.

Agreed. Problem now is they'd never pay for the new stadium without doing so.

pretty sure they could have afforded a better, cheaper stadium if it didn't HAVE to be in london.

massivly overpriced and in a crap part of the country. especially when the majority of folk would rather the majority of england games were played in the regions.