The other games today - 2009/10

Dave

It's only recently happened. 'Koreans' who have lived in Japan for 3 and 4 generations have only recently been able to get Japanese Nationalism.

I thought the Japs had a special relationship with Brazil?

There's a lot of Brazilians in Japan and vice versa as well, so they get to pick up Brazilians who grew up in Japan, Brazilians in Brazil with Japanese parents/grandparents etc.

As for the Koreans, it's mostly people who's grandparents moved/were forced to move there during the occupation and never got around to going back home. I wouldn't really class these players as Koreans because they're really just Japanese in every way but name. Grew up in Japan/Speak Japanese/have a Japanese passport etc. As far as I know, no "Jainichi," as we call them, has made the Japanese NT in recent memory. A couple of them are making up the spine of the North Korean team though, including Chong Tae-Se, who's pretty much the best out-and-out goalscorer in Asia at the moment.

His goals vs Greece were fantastic.

Him alongside Park Chu-Young might have been alright for you guys. Oh well, that boat has sailed.

Every time I watch him play I want to knock some sense into his parents for sending him to a North Korean-affiliated school as a child and putting funny thoughts into his head. Ah well, I reckon he would've probably just played for Japan if he didn't play for North Korea, which would be even worse.

We thought you were North Korean, eh? :dowie:

Did I?

Yes, you did. You just haven't realised it yet.

Apparently U17 football is 40 minutes each way. Woo. 3 minutes from VICTORY.

Because of fucking Eurosport the first half was only 20 minutes, it came on about a minute before the Spain goal. All for the sake of seeing the fucking CYCLING, man.

Capello should just pick Bale.  Then again, he doesn't watch teams outside the top 4.

:lol: Is that a joke? I can't tell.

Same :lol:

think it was serious, but will turn into one of those "whoosh" ones. difficult to gauge.

It just has soo much wrong with it, ignoring the Bale comment, the fact that the keeper who started today was from a team bottom of the premiership etc..

Unless it's a "inside joke" I have missed I just don't understand it :lol:

And, erm, Spurs finished 4th this season. :lol:

ENGLAND U17's KINGS OF EUROPE!!!!

Here are the boys who got the trophy

England

13 Jack Butland, 2 Bruno Pilatos, 3 Luke Garbutt, 4 Conor Coady ©, 5 Nathaniel Chalobah, 6 Andre Wisdom, 7 Will Keane (8 George Thorne, 67), 9 Benik Afobe (11 Rob Hall, 73), 15 Josh McEachran (14 Tom Thorpe, 79), 16 Ross Barkley, 17 Connor Wickham

Substitutes not used 1 Sam Johnstone, 10 Saido Berahino, 12 Ben Gibson, 18 Luke Williams

Last major youth trophy England won as 17 years ago @ U18 level, some canny names in there.

On that day England lined up like this: Chris Day (Tottenham Hotspur), Gary Neville (Manchester United), Kevin Sharp (Leeds United), Darren Caskey (Tottenham Hotspur), Chris Casper (Manchester United), Sol Campbell (Tottenham Hotspur), Mark Tinkler (Leeds United), Julian Joachim (Leicester City), Paul Scholes (Manchester United), Robbie Fowler (Liverpool) and Kevin Gallen (QPR). Noel Whelan (Leeds United) came on for Gallen.

Hate to say it but it's unlikely that U17 football is a hugely accurate scale for future success.

Switzerland were cowned U17 World Champions last year by sweeping aside Brazil, Italy, Germany, Colombia and then Nigeria. However I don't see them dominating the senior level any time soon.

Hate to say it but it's unlikely that U17 football is a hugely accurate scale for future success.

Switzerland were cowned U17 World Champions last year by sweeping aside Brazil, Italy, Germany, Colombia and then Nigeria. However I don't see them dominating the senior level any time soon.

And Greece won the Euro's a few backs that is what tournament football throws every now & again. At U17 World Cup, Brazil has won 3 of the last 7 & runner up once. Out of the last 4 Spain have got to two finals & have a 3rd place.

I noticed the Swiss did not have player of the tournament

And Greece won the Euro's a few backs that is what tournament football throws every now & again. At U17 World Cup, Brazil has won 3 of the last 7 & runner up once. Out of the last 4 Spain have got to two finals & have a 3rd place.

I suppose anomilous results do occur. Not taking anything away from them though, it was nothing like Greece's negative win at all costs football from 04, they'd played some of the most entertaining expansive football I've ever seen at youth level and were more than deserving winners.

Ben Khalifa should of been player of the tournament, he'll be some player in a few years. However I reckon most of that squad will never be heard of again (atleast at the top level), and the same will probably occur with this England team. There will hopefully be the odd few that make it however.

EDIT: Just looked it up, and Ben Khalifa is now at Wolfsburg and their other standout player Seferovic is at Fiorentina. So the 2 biggest talents got snapped up, while the rest as of yet don't even have Wikipedia pages.

I suppose anomilous results do occur. Not taking anything away from them though, it was nothing like Greece's negative win at all costs football from 04, they'd played some of the most entertaining expansive football I've ever seen at youth level and were more than deserving winners.

Ben Khalifa should of been player of the tournament, he'll be some player in a few years. However I reckon most of that squad will never be heard of again (atleast at the top level), and the same will probably occur with this England team. There will hopefully be the odd few that make it however.

I am not sure how you can use terms "like by sweeping aside Brazil" as looking at the match report they hardly did that.

http://www.fifa.com/u17worldcup/matches/round=253807/match=300102251/report.html

France were pretty good on Wednesday vs Costa Rica unfortunately. Ribery especially was all over the pitch. Playing like he had something to prove.

Eh? They were crowned U17 Champions last year so you expect them to start dominating at senior level right away or what?

Every good international team right now has a core of players who were very good at U19 and U17. A Championship at that level is a pretty accurate predictor of relative success at senior level.

Look at the years Spain won the U17 World Cup - 97, 99, 01. 10 years later, all those 16 and 17 year olds are now players like Xavi, Iniesta, Villa, Silva, Casillas. Cesc also was top scorer in a u17 or u19 competition.