The other games today - 2009/10

Dave

Shaktar are a great side, gave us a game for the European Supercup.

That game was turgid as f***. But yeah they're a great side, their Brazilian legion in particular are so good on the ball.

That's what they are good at though, they sleep the game down and use their pacy forwards to drive counterattacks.

That quick freekick last night by Porto was bullshit. There was no way any of the players were prepared to defend it which they should have been given some time to do. Fabianski was a bit naive, should have held onto it and risked a booking, but I guess with the game he had been having he didn't want to step on any more toes, so I understand why he did it.

SSN showing clips of Henry taking quick free kicks against Chelsea, but at least they had a chance to put up a wall and get some men back for it.

There's no requirement to let the defence get ready before taking a quick freekick. That's the whole point of it.

has our resident ref been in on this yet ?

as i understand it, if they are going to take a quick free kick the atacking team still have get an ok from the ref before the defence has organised. some refs will let it go if it is in a non threatening area (ie not a shot).

OK - my Ref Perspective

1 - the foul being committed takes advantage away from the other team, so the defending team has no rights. 

2 - LOTG says the defending team must be 10 yards back - it's their responsibility to retreat 10 yards and the referee should only intervene if they are refusing to.

3 - Attacking team does not have to ask for 10 yards - that's a given, but if they ask for the referee to enforce it, then they must wait for the whistle (ceremonial restart) to take the kick.

4 - If the attacking team does not ask the referee to enforce the 10 yards, and elect to take a quick-kick then they have that right (and accept the concequences of defenders being closer)

So.....no problem taking a quick free kick and catching out the defenders who were not ready.  (Hope that the referee wasn't really interfering with defenders - but likely defenders looking to blame someone/anyone for their mistake).

bindippers win 1-0, tie in balance imo

1-0 at home isn't a great result at all. I wouldn't be surprised to see them go out.

better to win 1-0 at home and lose 1-0 away. I mean, at least they dont have any away goals.

bindippers win 1-0, tie in balance imo

1-0 at home isn't a great result at all. I wouldn't be surprised to see them go out.

better to win 1-0 at home and lose 1-0 away. I mean, at least they dont have any away goals.

Can only see them going out on penalties - Unirea won't win by 2 goals.

That quick freekick last night by Porto was bullshit. There was no way any of the players were prepared to defend it which they should have been given some time to do. Fabianski was a bit naive, should have held onto it and risked a booking, but I guess with the game he had been having he didn't want to step on any more toes, so I understand why he did it.

SSN showing clips of Henry taking quick free kicks against Chelsea, but at least they had a chance to put up a wall and get some men back for it.

There's no requirement to let the defence get ready before taking a quick freekick. That's the whole point of it.

has our resident ref been in on this yet ?

as i understand it, if they are going to take a quick free kick the atacking team still have get an ok from the ref before the defence has organised. some refs will let it go if it is in a non threatening area (ie not a shot).

OK - my Ref Perspective

1 - the foul being committed takes advantage away from the other team, so the defending team has no rights. 

2 - LOTG says the defending team must be 10 yards back - it's their responsibility to retreat 10 yards and the referee should only intervene if they are refusing to.

3 - Attacking team does not have to ask for 10 yards - that's a given, but if they ask for the referee to enforce it, then they must wait for the whistle (ceremonial restart) to take the kick.

4 - If the attacking team does not ask the referee to enforce the 10 yards, and elect to take a quick-kick then they have that right (and accept the concequences of defenders being closer)

So.....no problem taking a quick free kick and catching out the defenders who were not ready.  (Hope that the referee wasn't really interfering with defenders - but likely defenders looking to blame someone/anyone for their mistake).

I'm sure that, by the letter of the law, the goal had to stand. What's more, both Campbell and Fabianski weren't too clever in how they dealt with the situation.

However, I think the ref was in breach of Law 18 - which is to use your common sense.