Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Marveaux's no less a right midfielder than Barton was this time last year.

Isn't Marveaux all left footed?

Does it really matter? Messi, Zog, Robben, etc etc. As long as Marveaux can play there, he'd surely count as Barton's replacement? If not, given that we're playing this game of "one must replace another", who has Marveaux replaced? (And same for Obertan).

I've never seen a new signing look so gutted to be there. It feels strange to see him somewhere else.

Although he was good last season, I don't think we'd need him as much this time. Once a target for his crosses left and we found a better set piece taker, whats left? We'll definitely cope, although I love the guy. He does some really stupid things that we can now admire from afar. His plan to tempt a contract from us backfired. Onwards and upwards!

Marveaux hasn't replaced anyone, we just got a good deal due to his contract being up

But as stated we're playing this game of "one must replace another". Marveaux must be Jonas' replacement, and Jonas is Barton's replacement. Sorted.

We've lost Nolan, Barton, Carroll, Routledge and Jose.

Brought in Cabaye, Marveaux, Ba, Obertan, Pieters(?)

If we bring in a striker and if Ben Arfa plays 20+ games then I can't help but think we're stronger this year.  Lots of ifs, granted, but there's no guarantee Carroll will score loads this season, no guarantee Nolan would've or that Barton would've kept up his form.

If we bring in a striker and if Ben Arfa plays 20+ games then I can't help but think we're stronger this year.  Lots of ifs, granted, but there's no guarantee Carroll will score loads this season, no guarantee Nolan would've or that Barton would've kept up his form.

Weaker in defense and up top. IMO better in the midfield.

Lots of ifs, granted, but there's no guarantee Carroll will score loads this season, no guarantee Nolan would've or that Barton would've kept up his form.

Definitely a good point this one. I think Carroll would have maintained and he's only going to get better, but I don't think Nolan would have and there's no guarentee Barton would have. The latter two relied a lot on the former in terms of their statistics last season.

Anyway it's a moot point unless they're replaced directly, which doesn't look likely with 5 days left.

Weaker in defense and up top. IMO better in the midfield.

Hopefully the better midfield will make up for the shortcomings in attack by creating more chances.  Having said that, if we do bring in another striker and IF he is quality, then hopefully the attack might even by stronger.  Again, more ifs still I guess.

Just have to wait and see.

Still don't have a clue why he stopped following his former team mates on twitter.

But how many NUFC first team players are on Twitter?  Jonas and Simpson?  Anyone else?  It is mostly the kids.  Jonas rarely tweets and mostly in Spanish and Simpson's tweets are nonsense most of the time.

Disappointed to see him go, he had his ups and downs but i would have to say he's been one of the most entertaining players to watch and listen to since he got an injury-free run, we will have a more settled side without him no doubt but not one that wins more matches.

On the wider picture, i think Mike and co have made it quite clear that anyone that doesn't agree with their policies and submit to their rule will be shipped out, or not signed in the first place. Nolan, Barton, Nolan are all strong characters who refused to 'tow the line' (regardless of what you think of the line itself), and Enrique had big goals with understandably aren't going to be realised here in the short or medium term.

My personal belief is under Hughton the likes of Nolan and Barton had pretty much free reign, Ashley rightly or wrongly (probably a bit of both) didn't like this and replaced Hughton brining in a manager who wouldn't go along with this.

The players in the 'clique' didn't like this one bit, then when they weren't offered the big contracts they demanded used the obvious ill feeling the fans have towards the board (Barton being the biggest offender) to cause unrest and get moves away for cheap enough to allow these demands to be fulfilled by other clubs.

Enrique, although I think led us along quite a bit at least left for genuine ambitious reasons.

Now I am not absolving the board of any blame, all 3 players should have either stayed or not been allowed to leave for the pittance we got however I think the players have lied just as much, if not more than the board and have used the animosity mentioned above to sway the fans.

*tin hat*

My personal belief is under Hughton the likes of Nolan and Barton had pretty much free reign, Ashley rightly or wrongly (probably a bit of both) didn't like this and replaced Hughton brining in a manager who wouldn't go along with this.

The players in the 'clique' didn't like this one bit, then when they weren't offered the big contracts they demanded used the obvious ill feeling the fans have towards the board (Barton being the biggest offender) to cause unrest and get moves away for cheap enough to allow these demands to be fulfilled by other clubs.

Enrique, although I think led us along quite a bit at least left for genuine ambitious reasons.

Now I am not absolving the board of any blame, all 3 players should have either stayed or not been allowed to leave for the pittance we got however I think the players have lied just as much, if not more than the board and have used the animosity mentioned above to sway the fans.

*tin hat*

Kid on skunkers who was very close to our previous owners and still gets some very good info reckons Enrique turned down an offer of £60K per week and dismissed it as derisory.

Don't kid yourself that that any of them are interested in anything other than money.

Oh I'm not but I do believe even if Jose was after a lot more money he was still ambitious which played a part in his move (he wouldn't have moved to QPR or West Ham no matter what basically).

The long and short of it is there are a lot of people in the wrong over this (not just the easy target, the board) and the only ones really losing out are us, the fans (and slightly the board who could have got more money for all but it's their mistakes that let it get to this point so tough shit).

*tin hat*

That argument sounds plausible but falls down on the swaying the fans.

Fair enough when they're still here, but why continue the 'lie' when they've left?