Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

He's making out that Barton and Nolan are Champions League level players. Fucking hell, I'm disappointed Barton has gone but have a bit of perspective. For all their 'balls and character' it's not like a midfield containing them two was heading towards the Champions League any time soon.

Such a brownnose.

Guest bimpy474

can we never ever mention Wraith again

He apparently reads this board. So aslong as it's him being slated then fantastic.

Does he ? wow, ok then.

Steve your a monumental cunt, shut the fuck up you chronic bollock headed cunt.

Never understood why people get off on knowing someone who is famous, and go on about it like it's some sort of an achievement.

Nothing makes you a bigger loser than that. One of the most unfortunate ways to be. Make something of yourself, or at least focus on trying to.

Jesus ...

It is easy to replace Nolan and Barton, maybe Carroll and Enrique as well... "on paper" but it isn't easy to replace their effectiveness. Cabaye, Marveaux and Obertan have a lot to deliver. We are playing with fire by kicking out players that are or at least were working. These are the kind of players you build around not over write.

Pardew has a hell of a job to do, he has to get this right from scratch, that is a big ask. We've been average to poor in pre-season and the first 3 games. We don't have anything about us, our attacking is pretty poor and we're little other than a set piece team.

Ah. We really need a good solid home win on Sunday, just put my mind at rest.

My personal belief is under Hughton the likes of Nolan and Barton had pretty much free reign, Ashley rightly or wrongly (probably a bit of both) didn't like this and replaced Hughton brining in a manager who wouldn't go along with this.

The players in the 'clique' didn't like this one bit, then when they weren't offered the big contracts they demanded used the obvious ill feeling the fans have towards the board (Barton being the biggest offender) to cause unrest and get moves away for cheap enough to allow these demands to be fulfilled by other clubs.

Enrique, although I think led us along quite a bit at least left for genuine ambitious reasons.

Now I am not absolving the board of any blame, all 3 players should have either stayed or not been allowed to leave for the pittance we got however I think the players have lied just as much, if not more than the board and have used the animosity mentioned above to sway the fans.

*tin hat*

They may have been strong characters that stood up to the hierarchy but I would be amazed if  the same story doesn't happen next year when Colo and Jonas are into the final year of their contracts and they turn down new offers.  And others move on for better wages and to more ambitious clubs.  Their leaving will probably be less acrimonious because they are not likely to rock the boat.

We have to expect that as soon as we have a decent player on our hands, that they will move on fairly quickly once they get a better offer that this club are not prepared to match.  At the moment, we should have enough about us (providing we find someone who can score goals) to survive the the recent exodus but I don't think that will continue to be the case if the same scenario is repeated every year.

The problem is we are not a top 4 club, and only the top 4 can pay big wages within a long term structure. The rest can pay it for a while, like Villa tried to, but if you don't break into the top 4 you are then in over your head and the cost cutting will be hard. It's a tough pill to swallow but we are coming back from a long way down and at this stage there's not a lot we can do to stop our players being cherry picked except get the best prices we can and try and replace them well.

I agree but we should not then be turning on the players and accusing them of greed because they consider themselves to have moved on to better things - whether that is because of ambition, salary or a better-run club.

Also, most of our players always seem to want to leave on good terms with the fans for which they are also slated by many but then you gets the likes of Nasri laying into the Arsenal fans once he has moved to a new club. 

I don't think fans turn on players who have genuinely left the club for better prospects. Since we came back up only two players fall into that category, Carroll and Enrique. It took £35m to prise Carroll away and Enrique was offered a fantastic deal to stay but still left. At the end of the day though, they are wearing Liverpool shirts now and they are there because a manager who has links with our club is hovering like a vulture because of those ties with our club.

As for Nolan and Barton I have little but contempt for both as they tried to use their clout with the genuine talents to inflate their own value. Look where they are now.

It is easy to replace Nolan and Barton, maybe Carroll and Enrique as well... "on paper" but it isn't easy to replace their effectiveness. Cabaye, Marveaux and Obertan have a lot to deliver. We are playing with fire by kicking out players that are or at least were working. These are the kind of players you build around not over write.

Completely agree with the bit in bold, mate. We shouldn't need to be taking the risks we are at all. But Wraith is inflating these players ability levels because he is best pals with them and essentially convincing himself that it is impossible to find better players. Despite our relative success at doing so over the last 2 years.

That's what is pissing me off. He seems more concerned about his 'mates' and this is blinding any kind of perspective.

I've always hated Wraith.  Anyone who thinks they can speak on behalf of such a huge amount of people is an egotistical bell end, and that's how he presents himself when he's on SSN or whatever.  By contrast, someone like Mark Jensen has always given people a platform above all else, generally makes sure to stress that he's only expressing his own opinion if interviewed by the press, and is just a canny bloke at the end of the day.  Just shows people have different reasons for getting involved in fanzines etc.  Wraith's is borne out of self-interest.

I've always hated Wraith.  Anyone who thinks they can speak on behalf of such a huge amount of people is an egotistical bell end, and that's how he presents himself when he's on SSN or whatever.  By contrast, someone like Mark Jensen has always given people a platform above all else, generally makes sure to stress that he's only expressing his own opinion if interviewed by the press, and is just a canny bloke at the end of the day.  Just shows people have different reasons for getting involved in fanzines etc.  Wraith's is borne out of self-interest.

:thup: :thup:

Pardew has a hell of a job to do, he has to get this right from scratch, that is a big ask. We've been average to poor in pre-season and the first 3 games. We don't have anything about us, our attacking is pretty poor and we're little other than a set piece team.

Pardew needs a left back and a striker there's no question about that. But if we've performed badly then a lot of it has been down to his long ball tactics which don't fit the players we have brought into the club. So far results have been good so we can say the ends justify them means. The jury is still out for me on Pardew though, I'll be interested to see if he makes the required changes necessary once we've got a proper left back in.

Pardew needs a left back and a striker there's no question about that. But if we've performed badly then a lot of it has been down to his long ball tactics which don't fit the players we have brought into the club. So far results have been good so we can say the ends justify them means. The jury is still out for me on Pardew though, I'll be interested to see if he makes the required changes necessary once we've got a proper left back in.

I've got my fingers crossed that our long ball stuff is caused by our fullbacks not being good enough to generate a vibrant wing and our strikers offering nothing to hold up, play off or link the midfield. Cabaye has also been playing too deep to penetrate (LOL) anything from the middle.

Still early doors. It's after 10 games we should have a perfect tactical insight I think.

In terms of natural talent, technique and overall potential as a footballer Tioté is way, way ahead of Barton and Nolan. As effective as the latter two ended up being for us in recent years, neither are footballers that are going to inflate you to a higher level.

This is going to sound cynical, but I do wonder if consciously both Barton and Nolan knew they were ultimately going to be shown the door. Their talk-ins, Barton's twitter account, interviews with the press and talking to people like Wraith, staying on the field longer than everybody else after the lap of honour... All propaganda that contributed to highlighting the importance of the 'players council' and their leadership qualities within the club. Leadership qualities that were more important (especially in Nolan's case) than their footballing ability.

This is beginning to sound like apologist territory so I'll stop, but I definitely think their motives are far more cynical than meets the eye (although I do think they cared about the club). At the end of the day the club is bigger than average footballers like Nolan and Barton and will still be around long after they're retired and dead.

I'm far more disappointed with the Enrique and Carroll sales, because they're the kind of players you can build a team around for 10 years or so. People group the 4 big sales in the same way, when for me they fall into two different categories. Carroll and Enrique are heading towards their peak and were either sold for an extortionate fee or left despite the best efforts (relatively) to keep them...whereas Nolan and Barton have been by all intents and purposes forced out of the club for a pittance. Looking at it simply it's asset stripping and four key players flogged, but look closely and I think Carroll/José sales are completely different to Nolan/Barton.

Again, might I add that Ashley and Llambias are absolute cunts who run the club in the most amateur manner possible. Just trying to formulate an idea of what the other side (the players) might be like, because there is two sides to everything.

I've got my fingers crossed that our long ball stuff is caused by our fullbacks not being good enough to generate a vibrant wing and our strikers offering nothing to hold up, play off or link the midfield. Cabaye has also been playing too deep to penetrate (LOL) anything from the middle.

Still early doors. It's after 10 games we should have a perfect tactical insight I think.

I'll be generous and say it's because of our limited full backs Pardew is playing the long ball game as a tactic rather than he doesn't have a clue how to set up a passing team. If I was a manager for example, the first thing I'd do was tell my goalkeeper to throw the ball to the full backs to start a move rather than hoof it down the pitch to two big twats I'd selected specifically to play the long ball game.

I remember Wraith from when he used to stand in the 'D' paddock with a few other lads, one in particular called Matty I think, used to do his bullying for him. All Felling boys if I remember from some of the grunts he replied with when I was unfortunate enough to try and communicate with him. They all used to fancy themselves as gangsters then as well. This was about 1991 ish.

He was writing letters to whichever Kray brother was locked up at the time and had just had replies off him, he was star struck and fuckin shut up about it.

He's always been desperate for celebrity status, right from when he wrote that pathetically shit fanzine no9 (I think), up until now. It made me laugh when he was appointed to that fans liaison role.

Sorry for the recollections (I'm sure there is more in my head somewhere), it's just his aspiring cuntishness has always been there, he was a nasty piece of work then and still is now.

I'll be generous and say it's because of our limited full backs Pardew is playing the long ball game as a tactic rather than he doesn't have a clue how to set up a passing team. If I was a manager for example, the first thing I'd do was tell my goalkeeper to throw the ball to the full backs to start a move rather than hoof it down the pitch to two big twats I'd selected specifically to play the long ball game.

I don't know where this notion of pardew being a long merchant has come fom he built decent fluid attacking and passing teams at West Ham and Reading.

Didn't he actually talk about that being a priority when he started with us? I lose track given every new manager talks up the attractive crowd pleasing football.

Guest Melbourne Toon

In terms of natural talent, technique and overall potential as a footballer Tioté is way, way ahead of Barton and Nolan. As effective as the latter two ended up being for us in recent years, neither are footballers that are going to inflate you to a higher level.

This is going to sound cynical, but I do wonder if consciously both Barton and Nolan knew they were ultimately going to be shown the door. Their talk-ins, Barton's twitter account, interviews with the press and talking to people like Wraith, staying on the field longer than everybody else after the lap of honour... All propaganda that contributed to highlighting the importance of the 'players council' and their leadership qualities within the club. Leadership qualities that were more important (especially in Nolan's case) than their footballing ability.

This is beginning to sound like apologist territory so I'll stop, but I definitely think their motives are far more cynical than meets the eye (although I do think they cared about the club). At the end of the day the club is bigger than average footballers like Nolan and Barton and will still be around long after they're retired and dead.

I'm far more disappointed with the Enrique and Carroll sales, because they're the kind of players you can build a team around for 10 years or so. People group the 4 big sales in the same way, when for me they fall into two different categories. Carroll and Enrique are heading towards their peak and were either sold for an extortionate fee or left despite the best efforts (relatively) to keep them...whereas Nolan and Barton have been by all intents and purposes forced out of the club for a pittance. Looking at it simply it's asset stripping and four key players flogged, but look closely and I think Carroll/José sales are completely different to Nolan/Barton.

Totally agree with all of this.

can we never ever mention Wraith again

He apparently reads this board. So aslong as it's him being slated then fantastic.

Does he ? wow, ok then.

Steve your a monumental cunt, shut the fuck up you chronic bollock headed cunt.

THAT'S WRAITHIST!

I think you're right. Full backs who are comfortable on the ball and who want to get forward can make a big difference to your attacking threat, and your ability to keep hold of the ball.

I'm hopeful that it's being addressed though.