Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Will not be to many clubs that would take him, maybe on a free next season yes but 100% not any of the top 8. Would love to know what it is he wants more, rumour was he wanted four years not three.

Surely he can sign a three year deal with the chance of a one year extension if he is still playing well enough.

As i said four pages ago, i think this is more Barton being a cunt than the club. And the people who jump in with the 'ashley out' 'this clubs a joke' statements are fucking jokes themselves.

Barton's a real c*** if he decides not to sign a new contract.

Even if he gets offered half he should take it, don't forget he f***ing sat in jail and has been injured collecting huge amounts of money.

He should play for f***ing free if thats what hes being offered. We stood by him at all his times of trouble and have been supporting him all seasons he's been here. The club is doing nothing wrong here whatsoever, I dont really care about the figures. He's nowhere near been worth all the money hes earnt at this club, even though hes made a big contribution this season.

:facepalm:

:lol:

Will not be to many clubs that would take him, maybe on a free next season yes but 100% not any of the top 8. Would love to know what it is he wants more, rumour was he wanted four years not three.

Surely he can sign a three year deal with the chance of a one year extension if he is still playing well enough.

If that's all it is give him the four year contract, nice to see someone actually WANT to be here!

Load of shit. Blatant scare mongering from Willie to force the club's hand.

If a 'lucrative' deal is on the table, then how is anyone but Barton to blame for not signing? After everything we've done for him too.

Would have been so much better if that cunt McCay had not ran straight to SSN with his bullshit, that will not help.

Probably finally learnt that if they don't say something first, 'club sources' will, after Steve Taylor, Hughton, Keegan, Enrique, Carroll, Milner etc...

Ok... so this appears to me to be primarily about the length of contract and not particularly the amount.

Thinking about this with my head rather than my heart, if I was in charge of the purse strings, I think I'd be quite cautious about handing out a 3 year contract to him.

To be fair, he appears to have sorted himself out, but even so, I'm sure there's been more than one occassion this season where Pardew has said "Barton has found it hard this week", "It's been a tough week for Joey", "He needs his head to be right to get the best out of him" etc. It only takes one occassion for him to have a breakdown that he can't control and he could have burnt his bridges. If that happens sooner rather than later (or never), we're stuck with a player with no use to us, and will be practically impossible to sell due to his age, attitude and salary. I get the impression there's a certain amount of walking on egg shells that goes on with Joey.

Heart speaking here, I'd hand him the 3 year deal, but if the reason above is the case for the breakdown, I think I can understand it in this particular instance.

With the money he is paid, giving a 4 year contract to a 29 year old that has only had 1 good season for us doesn't seem that wise.

This basically.  Bit of a risk to have Barton on 50+k a week for the next 4 years with his track record.  One good season does not go far enough in my book.

Why, just why can't we have a summer in that everything goes without those big disappointments? Por Qué?

We did. Last summer.

Plenty expected to lose some of our favourites, nobody expected the likes of Tiote or Bafra. Just a shame Gosling was crock longer than was hoped.

Really? The only thing some expected (not me) was more money to be spent than was, seeing as we ended up spending an unprecedentedly low amount by the standards of clubs which expect to not be relegated.

stevewraith steve wraith

by Cazza7

Spoke To Joey Barton last week at my event..he doesn't want to leave...he has offered to take 20k a week pay cut...he will sit tight he says

It doesn't seem to make any sense Joey leaving to go somewhere else for the sake of a slightly longer contract.

He seems happy, settled for the first time in his career, very important to a team that could be on the up with the right signings. Unless he wants to move abroad (which I doubt) NUFC seems a perfect place for him to be.

Probably just his agent being a cunt as usual.

As i said four pages ago, i think this is more Barton being a cunt than the club. And the people who jump in with the 'ashley out' 'this clubs a joke' statements are fucking jokes themselves.

And you've still not given a justification as for why. Which is also a joke.

There goes the good spirit in the camp.

I doubt Joey is that great on the camp spirit side. He wasn't even part of it for most of the season we won promotion. In any case a player who is willing to move clubs to get the right deal isn't going to be one to instil team spirit at his current club.

Neither's one that'll take anything like a bitch...

You know for a fact that he's being offered a bad deal?

You know for a fact he isn't? Just pointing your last sentence was untrue and essentially nonsensical.

Whatever way you look at it it's not a good sign that Barton and Enrique still haven't signed new deals with the transfer window about to swing wide open and only 12 months on their contracts.

It most probably is a game of brinkmanship, Ashley has often negotiated this way in the past and agents will be happy to do the same with the summer transfer season strengthening their hand. It's a risky strategy because when it works you get a good deal but when it doesn't, you're screwed. Newcastle can't afford to be losing these players, we have a handful of class players backed up by a load of dross. It's a lopsided squad. Lose those quality players and we're up sh*t creek, they are the reason we're 12th and not in the Championship.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I guess Larsson is a cheap, realistic replacement?

Realistic? Sure. Good enough? Not a chance.

Of course. But Larsson's a lot easier and cheaper for the club.

I've been to two different talk in's with Joey, the one last week and the other at the Hilton. At both he was very open about wanting to sign a new contract and staying at the club.

He'd said that he was willing to take the 20k pay cut, but when the club offered him a contract it was half of what he is on now. That they changed the 'agreement' before anything was put forward to sign.

I'm hoping this latest talk is just his agent trying to stir things up, as if Barton doesn't sign I very much doubt Nolan will sign a contract offered to him!

Thing is, it seems Ashley doesn't bluff. He will offer a player what he things they're worth and what NUFC can afford, and if they don't agree to it he'll happily let them go IMO.

Not that I think Barton will leave, it's just agent fluff.