Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

I'll rephrase, How many people in the UK alone do you think would have watched the 5.30pm kick-off between Newcastle and Liverpool at SJP, on Sky Sports?

100,000, 500,000, a milllion?

A million people seeing your brand sporadically over a period of at least 90 minutes. How much is that worth?

I'll rephrase, How many people in the UK alone do you think would have watched the 5.30pm kick-off between Newcastle and Liverpool at SJP, on Sky Sports?

A million people seeing your brand sporadically over a period of at least 90 minutes. How much is that worth?

It's worth a lot, but you could achieve it without buying a football club.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Honest question - Do people even pay attention to sponsorship boards while watching a game on TV? Though, I've never fully understood the money behind advertising.

Guest Roger Kint

His adverts contaminate UK TV regularly every single day across a host of channels doing a far better job of advertising his company than a random spotting of a sign during a football match.

As I've repeated many times, I don't think advertising his brand was the sole reason he bought our club - but how can you fail to see the connection between owning a sports retail company and a sports club!?

As I've repeated many times, I don't think advertising his brand was the sole reason he bought our club - but how can you fail to see the connection between owning a sports retail company and a sports club!?

I don't fail to see the connection, in fact I see the connection!

You posted this:

This club saves Ashley millions in advertising costs.

That was what started this line of debate. All I'm saying is that I think saving money on advertising was a very minor consideration for Ashley.

Guest Roger Kint

Ashley owns 70% of SD, a company £400m in debt although that is falling gradually. Am not sure future savings on advertising at our ground matters to it considering the huge sums they still spend on online/TV advertising. IMO this had no real connection to him buying NUFC, he thought he could build us up relatively cheaply and sell us on, he was badly wrong.

Guest Roger Kint

Indeed, it was a throw away comment. Wasn't suggesting that he bought the club SOLELY to advertise his brand.

Love how certain people on here jump on blatantly irreverent comments.

Nobody is saying that though, simply rubbishing your claim that there was any real connection. A throw away comment you defended btw.

Indeed, it was a throw away comment. Wasn't suggesting that he bought the club SOLELY to advertise his brand.

I wasn't suggesting you suggested that. I was just suggesting that the suggestion that advertising costs were a consideration for Mike Ashley is a suggestion too far.

:frantic:

I wasn't suggesting you suggested that. I was just suggesting that the suggestion that advertising costs were a consideration for Mike Ashley is a suggestion too far.

:frantic:

Fair enough.  :lol:

Debates only get complicated when the likes of Neesy get involved tbh.

Not many at all.

Considering it was on ESPN ;)

The system we play has reinvented Barton. If someone signs him, they'll take him out of this role, and he'll go back to being an also-ran clogger in the middle of the park, ending up back on the bench or the injury table. He'd be an idiot to leave cos he's one of the main men here, and he won't be anywhere else in the Premiership atm.

The system we play has reinvented Barton. If someone signs him, they'll take him out of this role, and he'll go back to being an also-ran clogger in the middle of the park, ending up back on the bench or the injury table. He'd be an idiot to leave cos he's one of the main men here, and he won't be anywhere else in the Premiership atm.

Good point.

I think he recognises this club is good for him and knows he has an important role here. And he has said he owes us.

Got a hunch he has just been disappointed with a two year offer (if true), and that is what's dragging things out.

Would expect him to sign though, in the end.

The local journalists were expecting the club to announce that he had signed the contract on 31st January but the events of that day took over.  If that was due to happen then I wonder if the club have changed the length of the contract because at that time everyone seemed to think there would be no hitches.

I think Joey is quite high maintenance as a player and I am sure I recall reading or hearing that he can take some getting used to as a teammate but he is now one of the lads at Newcastle.  I think it is probably better for him to stay put rather than move to another club and have to start all over again.

I would not have known about Sports Direct had Ashley not bought us.

Hopefully Tiote signing today, will give Barton a kick up the backside.

He will sign, or else he will face the wrath of God! And who wants that..?

Guest VegasToon

Caulkin reckons he's now going to wait and see what we do in the summer before signing. Cites Pardew saying this.

Don't blame him at all. 

On the one hand, can't blame him. He is coming to the last few years of his career, playing the best football in years and if we aren't ambitious who wants to stick about to fight off relegation.

On the other, we have fucking stuck by you through years of injuries and self made controversy whilst paying you a very good wage, the fans have supported you so you owe us kidda, sign a reasonable contract and pay back what you owe mother fucker!