Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

I can see where both parties are coming from here.

Barton wants to stay but will see this as possibly the final contract of his career so he's looking for the security of a long term deal.

The club want to keep him but don't want to hand a long term deal to someone that will be 29 in September and who has been injury prone in his time here, playing in less than half of the league games the team has played in the last 4 years.

I can see him leaving and ending up somewhere like Blackburn who will offer him the security that he wants.

Nail on head.

Ambition? Do we want to end up with a side with the likes of Butt, Owen, Geremi, Smith all past thier best playing together way past ther best days. I certainly don't. Two years for Joey takes him to 31. I personally wouldn't give Nolan an extension. His legs have gone already to be honest. We need younger, pacy, hungry players.

You're talking about Barton and Nolan - two players that played a fucking big part in our season and in Nolan's case last season as well.

You shouldn't forget too quickly about that. Younger, pacier and hungrier players might give us more attractive football but good luck if things aren't going well with them not caring about the club the way the likes of Barton and Nolan did that season.

Barton wants to stay but will see this as possibly the final contract of his career so he's looking for the security of a long term deal.

The club want to keep him but don't want to hand a long term deal to someone that will be 29 in September and who has been injury prone in his time here, playing in less than half of the league games the team has played in the last 4 years.

I can see him leaving and ending up somewhere like Blackburn who will offer him the security that he wants.

:sadnod:

Guest hobshobs

Ambition? Do we want to end up with a side with the likes of Butt, Owen, Geremi, Smith all past thier best playing together way past ther best days. I certainly don't. Two years for Joey takes him to 31. I personally wouldn't give Nolan an extension. His legs have gone already to be honest. We need younger, pacy, hungry players.

To add to the above, if they won't give Barton the contract he wants there is hope yet that Shola may not be around for too much longer either. Steve Harper too.

Can't we just offer 3 years with an option for a 4th? Then if he starts to Geremi the ball is in our court. We need to decide is if Barton has peaked this season....Wenger had a knack for this.

What McKay is saying is concerning but I don't believe a single word that comes out of his mouth. Need to hear from Joey ASAP.

:sadnod:

In a nutshell really. Think your Ireland swap deal's a decent shout...pity Wigan's probably a little bit too beneath him to try and use him for N'Zogbia.

Sticking by him through all the bad stuff, only to let him go once he finds the best form of his career.  Class.

Or sticking by him through all the bad stuff, only for him to fuck off when he finds the best form of his career. We just don't know yet.

Swap deal with Villa for Ireland perhaps?

Ugh. Would be a terrible deal.

Why?

Barton is a way safer card. At times outstanding for us this season. Ireland on the other hand - injury prone and unstabile as fuck.

Guest hobshobs

If players and agents don't get what they want they're off. Joey's demands aren't met so he's off. Staying till the end of his contract isn't about loyalty. It's about getting a bigger signing on fee from a new club as they don't have to pay a transfer fee.

In Nolan's case if he doesn't get a new contract he'll have more trouble than Joey finding a new club. It's easy to be 'loyal' to a club when you're on great wages.

Shay Given left to win something, then was going to leave if he didn't get first team football. Still there though. Wonder why? £££££££££££££££££ perhaps!

If players and agents don't get what they want they're off. Joey's demands aren't met so he's off. Staying till the end of his contract isn't about loyalty. It's about getting a bigger signing on fee from a new club as they don't have to pay a transfer fee.

In Nolan's case if he doesn't get a new contract he'll have more trouble than Joey finding a new club. It's esy to be 'loyal'to a clun when your on great wages.

Shay Given left to win something, then was going to leave if he didn't get first team football. Still there though. Wonder why? £££££££££££££££££ perhaps!

Remember he wouldn't waive his £300k "loyalty bonus" from City when he first joined and we ended up paying £5.8m rather than the original £5.5m just to seal the deal.

no way should we be giving him 4 years either

Why not?  His game isn't realiant on pace.  He'll be able to do the exact same job at 32 as he is now.

Added to that, 32 isn't an age where he'll suddenly start being shit.