Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

As I understand it, the reduced wage, 2 year contract would come into effect after his current contract ends in Summer 2012 so effectively he would have 3 years from the end of this season. He's 28 now (29 in September) so the new contract will end when he's 31 (3 months off 32). I wouldn't offer him a longer contract than that.

I stand by what I said above in February. If he really is demanding a 4 year contract then sell him in the Summer. There aren't many players over 32 who can still cut it at Premiership level.

Absolute bollocks that like.

Guest bimpy474

Just read this

McKay said: "I must say that, to be fair to Newcastle and the current Board, they stuck by Joey. I think he repaid them last season - I think he had a great season. But they stuck by him, there's no doubt about that, Derek Llambias especially."

Doesn't really sound like they have fallen out, more just a contract disagreement, this isn't the last we will hear of it thats for sure.

Swap deal with Villa for Ireland perhaps?

Ugh. Would be a terrible deal.

Why?

Barton is a way safer card. At times outstanding for us this season. Ireland on the other hand - injury prone and unstabile as fuck.

Since Barton's been here he's managed 79 league games in 4 years, spent time in jail and admitted being an alcoholic.

Stephen Ireland lied about his gran dying and has suffered with injuries in the later part of this season, he's also 4 years younger.

How is Barton the safer card?

Barton has stopped drinking so he won't end up in jail again and isn't an alcoholic anymore.

He's been very unlucky with his injuries as well. It wasn't a case of missing many games because of 'Michael Owen hamstrings'.

He went to prison because he was an idiot, not because he was an alcoholic.

You can make the excuse about unlucky with injuries but the fact is his availability for us since he's been here has been awful.

His availability was/is down to being injured (mostly) and those injuries were down to bad luck (mostly).

His time in prision was down to being an idiot, correct, while being an idiot was down to being on the drink too much.

You can say that about every single player that gets injured though.

I just want to know how Barton is a more safe option compared to Ireland who is more injury prone and less stable apparently.

No you can't. Players like Dyer, Owen, Viduka, Luque or even Shola - they are injury prone. Barton just had broken his foot a few times which isn't down to being injury prone but what is down to bad luck.

Wouldn't break my heart to see him go, and don't blame the club if they refuse to budge over excessive demands.

He's had a couple of decent years out of four. If he secures a bumper contract, what's to say he doesn't start phoning in the performances again?

As I understand it, the reduced wage, 2 year contract would come into effect after his current contract ends in Summer 2012 so effectively he would have 3 years from the end of this season. He's 28 now (29 in September) so the new contract will end when he's 31 (3 months off 32). I wouldn't offer him a longer contract than that.

I stand by what I said above in February. If he really is demanding a 4 year contract then sell him in the Summer. There aren't many players over 32 who can still cut it at Premiership level.

Good of you to back that up. Lets have a list (which does not include goalkeepers) of players over 32 who are still playing well for their teams. I'll start you off with Ryan Giggs.

"I had a meeting with Newcastle managing director Derek Llambias and club secretary Lee Charnley and they have indicated Joey will not be offered a new contract.

"Joey will continue to be a Newcastle player next season and then he will leave on a free transfer at the end of his contract.

"Joey would have loved to have extended his stay at Newcastle, but unfortunately it is not to be.

"Joey has loved his time at Newcastle and nothing will change his commitment for the club next season.

"Obviously we will be monitoring the situation next January to try and find a new club for Joey as he can speak to clubs from abroad in January."

Swap deal with Villa for Ireland perhaps?

Ugh. Would be a terrible deal.

Why?

Barton is a way safer card. At times outstanding for us this season. Ireland on the other hand - injury prone and unstabile as fuck.

Since Barton's been here he's managed 79 league games in 4 years, spent time in jail and admitted being an alcoholic.

Stephen Ireland lied about his gran dying and has suffered with injuries in the later part of this season, he's also 4 years younger.

How is Barton the safer card?

Barton has stopped drinking so he won't end up in jail again and isn't an alcoholic anymore.

He's been very unlucky with his injuries as well. It wasn't a case of missing many games because of 'Michael Owen hamstrings'.

He went to prison because he was an idiot, not because he was an alcoholic.

You can make the excuse about unlucky with injuries but the fact is his availability for us since he's been here has been awful.

His availability was/is down to being injured (mostly) and those injuries were down to bad luck (mostly).

His time in prision was down to being an idiot, correct, while being an idiot was down to being on the drink too much.

You can say that about every single player that gets injured though.

I just want to know how Barton is a more safe option compared to Ireland who is more injury prone and less stable apparently.

No you can't. Players like Dyer, Owen, Viduka, Luque or even Shola - they are injury prone. Barton just had broken his foot a few times which isn't down to being injury prone but what is down to bad luck.

He broke bones in his feet on 3 separate occasions in 3 seasons running, if that's not injury prone I don't know what is.

Good of you to back that up. Lets have a list (which does not include goalkeepers) of players over 32 who are still playing well for their teams. I'll start you off with Ryan Giggs.

I'll  also add some players who have done well for their clubs at that age but have retired by now.

Shearer, Giggs, Scholes, Neville, Roy Keane, Zidane, Figo, Lucio, Zanetti, Milito, Deco, Drogba, Anelka, Beckham, Bergkamp, Tony Adams, Lizerazu, Sol Campbell, Robbie Fowler, Viera

List of players that were just on top of my head btw. :lol:

Very generous of you...

Off the top of my head Lampard, Drogba, Anelka, Carvalho (albeit now moved), Rio Ferdinand, Kevin Davies, Vieira all cut it at the top level.

Peter Beardsley, Alan Shearer, Nobby Solano too if you want some examples from us. As Sewelly says age isn't a factor if the technique is still there.

I'll  also add some players who have done well for their clubs at that age but have retired by now.

Shearer, Giggs, Scholes, Neville, Roy Keane, Zidane, Figo, Lucio, Zanetti, Milito, Deco, Drogba, Anelka, Beckham, Bergkamp, Tony Adams, Lizerazu, Sol Campbell, Robbie Fowler, Viera

Barton even at the very peak of his powers isn't in the same class as those you've named.

Barton even at the very peak of his powers isn't in the same class as those you've named.

That wasn't discussed.

Fowler? :lol:

Very generous of you...

Off the top of my head Lampard, Drogba, Anelka, Carvalho (albeit now moved), Rio Ferdinand, Kevin Davies, Vieira all cut it at the top level.

So "aren't many" is still pretty accurate.

Fowler? :lol:

Came back to Liverpool at some stage and did well iirc. Strike him of the list if you want. :lol:

For example we've had a lot of players with good technique (better than Barton's) who've turned out to be total shite once they hit the 30s.

Bartons current game doesn't rely on his physical attributes though.

Well half those players weren't in the Premiership for a start. Premiership games are played at a much faster pace than the Italian and Spanish leagues.

For example we've had a lot of players with good technique (better than Barton's) who've turned out to be total shite once they hit the 30s.

Bartons current game doesn't rely on his physical attributes though.

Still not convinced.

I still wake up in cold sweats with the recent memories of Geremi and Nicky Butt.