Joey Barton

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest guinness_fiend

He won't get to a club anywhere near as big as us.

:lol:

He won't do better than an underachieving mid-table club, you say?  We'll see.

It is all very commendable to keep trying to reduce the wage bill but if we have a number of cheap, young and foreign players in the team, what is going to happen when the going gets tough. 

Nolan and Barton are a major reason in keeping the team focussed whenever the Board makes an unpopular decision such as sacking Hughton and selling Carroll and when heads could have dropped in games, they have driven their teammates on more often that not.  Barton the player may be replaceable but his character on the pitch is not and we need some experienced players with a strong character and leadership skills in the team.

Our team spirit and the Nolan/Barton presence on the pitch has played a huge part in our success in the last couple of seasons and I worry that the Board do not appreciate that enough and prefer to concentrate on the balance sheet.

I am not convinced by McKay's version of events but then I wouldn't believe whatever story the club comes out with.  I do hope at the very least that Barton stays next year and that maybe things can be resolved as the team needs to evolve and we cannot afford to lose too many of our big players so quickly.

It is also another indicator of Pardew's lack of influence.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

We're a giant European club man. Go buy the Flying high dvd.

It is all very commendable to keep trying to reduce the wage bill but if we have a number of cheap, young and foreign players in the team, what is going to happen when the going gets tough. 

Nolan and Barton are a major reason in keeping the team focussed whenever the Board makes an unpopular decision such as sacking Hughton and selling Carroll and when heads could have dropped in games, they have driven their teammates on more often that not.  Barton the player may be replaceable but his character on the pitch is not and we need some experienced players with a strong character and leadership skills in the team.

Our team spirit and the Nolan/Barton presence on the pitch has played a huge part in our success in the last couple of seasons and I worry that the Board do not appreciate that enough and prefer to concentrate on the balance sheet.

I am not convinced by McKay's version of events but then I wouldn't believe whatever story the club comes out with.  I do hope at the very least that Barton stays next year and that maybe things can be resolved as the team needs to evolve and we cannot afford to lose too many of our big players so quickly.

It is also another indicator of Pardew's lack of influence.

It's the length of the contract that is the issue.

Guest guinness_fiend

I nearly took the bait then.  Well played.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I nearly took the bait then.  Well played.

:)

As much as i'd love to jump on the cockney mafia bandwagon, the club are simply being shrewd.

Barton isn't young enough to call the shots, (like Enrique) and the club know it. If he was to go this summer it's unlikely he'd get more money elsewhere, and if he waits 12 months he's a year older and a year less valuable. I hope he stays, but it's not the end of the world if he doesn't.

Really strange one this... can't see any reason that Joey would want to go, or very many feasible destinations for him. And I also don't understand why the club wouldn't want to keep him.

None of it really makes sense, except maybe through the lens of McKay agitating for 'one last big move' for his client.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out, certainly hope we keep him.

Barton is not getting a deal because he speaks out imo, it is how they roll up there. Arselickers like Pedro get fastracked while Barton, Keegan & Level 7 get dealt with.

I agree

Even though they have reportedly offered him a deal? :lol:

Barton is not getting a deal because he speaks out imo, it is how they roll up there. Arselickers like Pedro get fastracked while Barton, Keegan & Level 7 get dealt with.

Certaintly seems that way.

Guest toonlass

I agree

We have no idea what deal they have offered in January though, it could be a bloody ridiculous one. This regime has trouble running it's box office efficiently. Why should we believe they know how to treat the players? It's not like they have a proven track record since taking over from Shepherd is it?

I agree

Even though they have reportedly not offered him a deal? Et cetera.

All we know for now is what Barton's agent has claimed. If it's wrong I'm sure the club will attempt to set the record straight...

It's kind of a rock and a hard-place. Joey Barton has done time and all that shit, whereas the board have continuously lied to the clubs supporters. Barton certaintly seems to have cleaned his act up, but have the board?

I agree

We have no idea what deal they have offered in January though, it could be a bloody ridiculous one. This regime has trouble running it's box office efficiently. Why should we believe they know how to treat the players? It's not like they have a proven track record since taking over from Shepherd is it?

Well compared to Willie McKay, I'd trust them with my life. They're bullshitting arseholes, but he's something else. I take their word over his any day.

I agree

All we know for now is what Barton's agent has claimed. If it's wrong I'm sure the club will attempt to set the record straight...

Except that they've already said they won't comment on things like that.

This is Barton's first good season since he arrived, I'm not that shocked they baulked on giving him a contract until he is 33. Even if he is having a wage drop it still won't exactly be low wages.

Obviously everything is the boards fault for some and we should be handing out the same stupid contracts we have in the past leaving us with over the hill players we can't even give away (see Smith heading into the third year of his massive contract where he has barely been a squad player).

I agree

Except that they've already said they won't comment on things like that.

How many comments ago was that? :lol:

Come on man, they pissed on that idea within weeks or something.

The club doesn't have to offer him a new contract. Reading between the lines, which is all any of us can do for the time being, it sounds like the club's going to take a look at who becomes available over the next couple of months. If any decent RW's come onto the market for decent money (Larrson?) then they'll fuck Barton off. If they can't get anyone in then they'll offer him something.

It's all just jockeying for position atm from both sides trying to get the upper hand on things. Fairly confident that if he moves on then he'll be replaced fairly soon.

We'll see.

I agree

It is quite clear they are not.

Willie McKay today told Sky Sport: "I had a meeting with Newcastle managing director Derek Llambias and club secretary Lee Charnley and they have indicated Joey will not be offered a new contract.

Willie McKay today told Sky Sport: "I had a meeting with Newcastle managing director Derek Llambias and club secretary Lee Charnley and they have indicated Joey will not be offered a new contract.

You're taking an agent's word :dowie:

How vague is the word "indicated" anyway?  Answer: very.

I agree

Is it?

Can't remember many taking the word of an agent at face value in the past like.