Danny Guthrie

Jordan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dannys one of the one squad players I genuinely like, keeps his head down and works hard. Bit like milner in that respect.

Well, let's not jump to bury this one when he doesn't immediately set the Premiership alight then.

One of the most insane things I've experienced as a Newcastle supporter was seeing how much Milner was hated. It wasn't even a case of him giving up on him too early when he was struggling, he was actually one of our best players for 2 years running and had an excellent attitude, but some people seemed to despise him because he "had no pace" (the most overused and often incorrect indictment against a player ever by the way) and "couldn't cross."

Now I'm not trying to imply that the fans drove him out of the club or anything, I'm fully aware of who initiated that transfer... But still, it's always just struck me as incomprehensible.

In all fairness, there were alot of games where Milner looked very slow down the flanks and couldn't cross for toffee.

I agree that he was "given up on" though, considering the form of the club as a whole.

Dannys one of the one squad players I genuinely like, keeps his head down and works hard. Bit like milner in that respect.

Well, let's not jump to bury this one when he doesn't immediately set the Premiership alight then.

One of the most insane things I've experienced as a Newcastle supporter was seeing how much Milner was hated. It wasn't even a case of him giving up on him too early when he was struggling, he was actually one of our best players for 2 years running and had an excellent attitude, but some people seemed to despise him because he "had no pace" (the most overused and often incorrect indictment against a player ever by the way) and "couldn't cross."

That's nonsense, man. He was poor for us under Roeder and Allardyce.

I'm honestly not going to go through the bother of dredging up five matches where I think Milner played well. I just don't think anyone can dispute that he was a good player for us under Roeder/Allardyce. Especially considering the relative standard of the team during those periods.

Name more than 5 good games he had in that period.

That's got to be one of the daftest things I've read on here. As if anyone* can remember who played well in what games over the last 3 years ffs, and as if the inability of someone to recall this will somehow invalidate their argument.

Milner was one of our better players for me, of that there was no doubt. I never got the hatred of him, always thought he was a threat going forward and his sale contributed massively to our relegation.

(*who has a life)

Agree with that. Barton is the only other one who I think *could* do a better job in the middle, though he's yet to do it for Newcastle on anything like a consistent basis. Hell, he's yet to even play on a consistent basis.

That said, I'd love to see Barton / Guthrie given a run out before the end of the season.

That's got to be one of the daftest things I've read on here. As if anyone* can remember who played well in what games over the last 3 years ffs, and as if the inability of someone to recall this will somehow invalidate their argument.

I can remember 10 games or more when Robert played well, Solano, even N'zogbia. Wingers tend to stand out with their contribution.

Wide players are there to make things happen, Milner didn't, not for us.

I can remember 10 games or more when Robert played well, Solano, even N'zogbia. Wingers tend to stand out with their contribution.

Wide players are there to make things happen, Milner didn't, not for us.

Honestly? Right off the top of your head? Without looking at a fixture list? :lol:

I'm not going to fall into the trap of saying that Milner is in the same class as Robert or Solano, but he was a positive contributor for us during his time here. You'll excuse me if I don't necessarily trust "games Ronaldo claims to remember where he played well" as a standard of a player's quality.

You asked if you could convince me he was one of our best players for 2 seasons. If he was, you'd have been able to name a fair few games in which he performed well. At the very least, two or three.

Honestly the only specific things I remember is his cross for Luque's goal against Palermo, the belter against Man U, and him looking like the only player who cared when Birmingham embarassed us 5-1 at St. James. Like most people, my opinion about players is formed more by general impressions rather than specific matches.

I see what you mean, mate and fair play to you.

But 'general impressions' are the reason that most of the country think Owen is a very good striker and Enrique is that spanish flop who got Newcastle relegated.

I see what you mean, mate and fair play to you.

But 'general impressions' are the reason that most of the country think Owen is a very good striker and Enrique is that spanish flop who got Newcastle relegated.

No, that's called 'fiction,' or 'myth.'

I actually do watch the matches.

Unsure what you're basing that on, plenty of decent wingers who aren't necessarily the flashiest or most noticeable players on their teams. (Oh boy, do I have to name them now? :razz:)

EDIT: you know what, given what the rest of the players were like while Milner was here, he probably was one of the most noticeable players on our team. :doh:

• 2 weeks later...

His free kicks are miles better than Raylor's, those two FK's at the end were dipping in, forced two good saves from Camp.

I thought his set pieces apart from the one free kick that forced a decent save from Camp were shocking.

His free kicks are miles better than Raylor's, those two FK's at the end were dipping in, forced two good saves from Camp.

I thought his set pieces apart from the one that forced a decent save from Camp were shocking.

He took two direct free kicks in the second half that forced Camp to save, Raylor usually gets those way above of the bar.

I thought his set pieces apart from the one that forced a decent save from Camp were shocking.

He took two direct free kicks in the second half that forced Camp to save, Raylor usually gets those way above of the bar.

His corners were awful all night though.

It looked to me like one was a decent save, the order was just a standard save. He also belted one miles over didn't he? I'd imagine Ryan Taylor's and his free kick stats are quite similar if anything.