Damien Duff signs for Fulham, fee undisclosed

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest The Libertine

pasted from .COM

some meaningless sound bites from former players:

Habib Beye (who reputedly asked for a transfer request):

"I’m under contract, and I will be here next year to put this club back in the Premier League. I have played for Newcastle for two years, and I love this club.”

Damien Duff:

"I'm as loyal as they come and, whether the gaffer stays or goes, I'd love to try and get Newcastle back up into the Premier League."

Obafemi Martins:

"..my aim is to stay and help get Newcastle promoted next season. I love living in Newcastle and there are few better places to live and play.

them + taylor...

"I keep hearing about players leaving St James' Park should we go down and my name has been bandied about, but I am going nowhere. I am a Geordie and Newcastle United is my team and I am staying put whatever happens."

Does anyone know roughly how much has been taken off the wage bill this summer? 

Nobody knows for sure because nobody knows our full wage bill. But my guesstimate based on what we've heard in the press is around 24 million has been saved. That does not include any relegation clause the players still here may or may not have had in their contracts. I still can not believe for one second that the club did not employ lawyers that insisted we put those into our contracts.

Couple this with the 25 million or so we've reportedly made through sales and we've done a lot to claw back our finances.

Guest Heneage

Good luck to him.

One spoke to a girl who looks after the ball boys & she said he was one of the nicest lads there & he'd have a bit craic with the ball boys (which he did with my step son). He may not have played that well for long periods, but he wasn't alone in that & he did seem to care about it.

Not his fault that we were paying him stupid money.

The woman who looks after the ball boys is called Sue Lawrence. Don't listen to a word of what she says, she talks absolute nonsense

Might have been the coach Jen I met her through work, she said he was canny. Duff nearly ran me over after a game though, I got an apology and wave. It was him and Butt in the car so I wasn't worried, they rarely hit the target.

Good luck to him.

One spoke to a girl who looks after the ball boys & she said he was one of the nicest lads there & he'd have a bit craic with the ball boys (which he did with my step son). He may not have played that well for long periods, but he wasn't alone in that & he did seem to care about it.

Not his fault that we were paying him stupid money.

The woman who looks after the ball boys is called Sue Lawrence. Don't listen to a word of what she says, she talks absolute nonsense

Might have been the coach Jen I met her through work, she said he was canny. Duff nearly ran me over after a game though, I got an apology and wave. It was him and Butt in the car so I wasn't worried, they rarely hit the target.

Just when you thought Wullie couldn't hate Duff any more than he already does.

• 4 weeks later...
So he left for a Newcastle of fantasy. He had pictured a shining city on the hill, he remembered Kevin Keegan's vibrant side in a community which, like Duff, lived mainly for football.

There were those who wondered about it at the time. "There's always going to be criticism and people keep going on about Liverpool, but Newcastle was the only concrete offer; 52,000 people, it was an exciting club, I don't know how it can't get you going. I thought it was exciting at the time. They live for the football up there. A good win or a good month and the whole place is rocking. There were some good times like that. But there weren't many."

His first two seasons were interrupted by injuries, one of them a dislocation of the foot. Duff says now he never doubted he would come back from a problem which has ended careers.

It is hard to believe he didn't worry, not when football means so much to him and he dreads the end.

"As you get older you try not to beat yourself up about it. I'd like another hobby or something to do. I like watching other sports but when I'm finished, God knows what I'll do then. You can come across footballers who can take it or leave it, it's just a career but I've never been interested in money. It probably doesn't help to take it so seriously, but what can you do?"

Worse than the injury was trying to come back, he says. he needs to be sharp and he felt like he was "dragging a caravan" behind him. He was left out by Kevin Keegan, but played most of the matches last year, even if he was at left-back and witnessing a sporting implosion.

Newcastle's relegation, he said recently, had left him "suicidal". He wasn't misquoted.

"Well as close as you can get without actually doing it. Football's my life, I probably need another distraction in my life, I don't have a lot of other things going on apart from football and to be relegated, to have two of them on my CV, and with such a big club. It wasn't a nice feeling."

He was initially prepared to stay and a part of him regrets that he didn't. "It still does bite away with me a bit that I did leave them. I was a part of the team that went down so that still does get to me and I feel bad leaving. It's not in my make-up. I stayed with Blackburn when they were relegated but it's such a big year with the World Cup and I'm not getting any younger."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/damien-duff-is-back-where-he-belongs-1885274.html

Only posted the Newcastle bit but the whole article is worth reading

"he has never known a team spirit like that Chelsea side where "you would die for one another and you don't get that very often."

:rolleyes:

Maybe if you put a bit of effort in Damien, players at Newcastle might have felt the same.

"he has never known a team spirit like that Chelsea side where "you would die for one another and you don't get that very often."

Maybe if you put a bit of effort in Damien, players at Newcastle might have felt the same.

There was nothing wrong with Duff's effort.

Duff's effort was nothing.

FYP

Yeah, he always looked like wanting to die for the team.  :lol:

you think the player in your avatar was any better than duff last season? :lol:

He sure was.

He sure was.

Then I think you're easily impressed.

:facepalm:

You're not Irish are you?

No, I just know one or two things about football. :idiot2:

Enrique was average to shocking last season same as the season before. Duff had a few good games, and him and Carroll were the only ones putting the effort in at the end.

No, I just know one or two things about football. :idiot2:

Well clearly not.