Steven Taylor: I'm staying

Crumpy Gunt

Everton have agreed a £6m with Newcastle for centre-half Steven Taylor but the England Under-21 international's wage demands could be a stumbling block. (Daily Mirror)

6 million, for an England under 21 one who is erm english and has played in the prem for a good few years??

Bassong goes for 8 with add ons who has played one season.

Bollocks is it 6 mil.

£6m  :lol:

if that doesn't get Ashley killed, nowt will

:lol:

For me, his potential alone is worth 10m. Add to that the fact that he's English and a local boy, and 15m would be a fair price for him. When the likes of Walcott, Curtis Davies, and Ashley Young are going for these prices, I see no reason why Taylor should cost any less.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Have you stopped to consider how the Bassong comments may have affected him

Both Shearer and Dowie, when talking to Redknapp, said if there was one player they must keep it was Bassong. I bet that felt like a kick in the teeth for Taylor 

Guest Roger Kint

Both Shearer and Dowie, when talking to Redknapp, said if there was one player they must keep it was Bassong. I bet that felt like a kick in the teeth for Taylor 

Like it was for Milner when Taylor refused to sign a contract on a par with him and Charlie, claimed he deserved more iirc.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Like it was for Milner when Taylor refused to sign a contract on a par with him and Charlie, claimed he deserved more iirc.

I agree but thats a seperate case!

Guest Roger Kint

I agree but thats a seperate case!

Not particularly, Milner asked for a new deal based on it and when turned down handed in a transfer request.

Prices get lower for the remaining unsold stock the closer you get to the end of the Sale. As a buyer if you hold your nerve, that's how you pick up real bargains. We're now into the last 2 weeks of the NUFC closing down, everything must go sale, the prices are bound to be at an all time low.

Do none of you ever go shopping?

what an absolutely ridiculous post. Why on earth would Taylor see that as a kick in the teeth? He isn't quite stupid enough to believe he's anywhere near Bassong as a player.

I bet the conversation was started by Droopy though, probably brought up Bassong in conversation and then the 'we must keep' comments stemmed from that. If he had brought up Taylor the comments would have been the same

Prices get lower for the remaining unsold stock the closer you get to the end of the Sale. As a buyer if you hold your nerve, that's how you pick up real bargains. We're now into the last 2 weeks of the NUFC closing down, everything must go sale, the prices are bound to be at an all time low.

But when the buyers have money the sales are less severe.

We are in a recession - more sales with better discounts

Once we recover - less sales

Everton are going to get £20m + for Lescott, we should be seeing at least £15m of that, there is no way Taylor is only half as good as Lescott and the relative prices should reflect that (not that I rate JL anywhere near the £20m bracket mind)

i agree that he;s not the best centre half the world has ever seen, but he's ours!  I think its more about the intent of the club and the direction they're going in.

Want to keep the best team possible and go up next season? Then try as hard as you can to keep a) young passionate and local players.

I can understand a little bit why taylor may contemplate a move if the way the club is being run isn't resolved any time soon, but I'd like to see him stay til January to see how things work out

I will be very disappointed if he goes, more in the club than the actual player..

but then again not much surprises me any more about NUFC...dunno why I bother getting worked up by it! :)

But when the buyers have money the sales are less severe.

We are in a recession - more sales with better discounts

Once we recover - less sales

Everton are going to get £20m + for Lescott, we should be seeing at least £15m of that, there is no way Taylor is only half as good as Lescott and the relative prices should reflect that (not that I rate JL anywhere near the £20m bracket mind)

half is being kind to Taylor. People forget that he played 5 years in the premiership without consistently looking like a solid premiership defender

Everton have agreed a £6m with Newcastle for centre-half Steven Taylor but the England Under-21 international's wage demands could be a stumbling block. (Daily Mirror)

6 million, for an England under 21 one who is erm english and has played in the prem for a good few years??

Bassong goes for 8 with add ons who has played one season.

Bollocks is it 6 mil.

I'm sure the fact that last season Bassong showed more than Taylor ever has in his Newcastle career had something to do with that though.

what an absolutely ridiculous post. Why on earth would Taylor see that as a kick in the teeth? He isn't quite stupid enough to believe he's anywhere near Bassong as a player.

Yeah, the England u21 captain who has been universally praised throughout the mainstream media isn't going to think he's anywhere near as good as a recently called up cameroon international plucked from obscurity the year before... Whilst everyone on this board might recognise Taylor's flaws / Bassong's better all round game, I doubt Taylor trawls the net for his opinions on his own game. Not saying it's likely to be a reason for him to leave but to think Taylor openly recognises Bassong as this wildly better player is far more ridiculous.

Guest Roger Kint

Do you live in the real world? He doesnt need to sell him, jesus he needs to buy.....urgently!!!

Yeah, the England u21 captain who has been universally praised throughout the mainstream media isn't going to think he's anywhere near as good as a recently called up cameroon international plucked from obscurity the year before... Whilst everyone on this board might recognise Taylor's flaws / Bassong's better all round game, I doubt Taylor trawls the net for his opinions on his own game. Not saying it's likely to be a reason for him to leave but to think Taylor openly recognises Bassong as this wildly better player is far more ridiculous.

'yes' or 'no' do you think Taylor would be offended to hear that Shearer rated Bassong more?

'yes' or 'no' do you think Taylor would be offended to hear that Shearer rated Bassong more?

He didn't so no I don't think he would have been offended by what was said.

Yes, to hear it come out in the press that the 'one player' shearer would have wanted to keep more than anyone was Bassong would have been seen as a kick in the teeth. I've no doubt this wasn't how it was put by Shearer but it's been twisted and Taylor has always had the club at heart, no matter what anyone says he is a good young player who plays for the team and in this league he stands out as one of our best players (only 3 games in accepted). He'd probably have hoped Shearer wanted to build a team round him, as the young (almost) Geordie, in the same idealistic way the team was built around Shearer for all those years (not comparing the two as players, just the whole local hero thing that i'm sure Taylor desperately still wants to become).

Guest Phil K

Knowing Moyes, he'll try to sign Taylor for 2 mill and sell Lescott for 22

And knowing f********* Ashley, he'd sell.

Absolutely humiliating NUFC and the fans, two birds with one stone. :dave:

He didn't so no I don't think he would have been offended by what was said.

I guess it comes down to the level of intelligence / ability to interpret the media we bestowe on particular players. I think Taylor is pretty basic and will have taken at media face value!