Barnes attacks culture of racism that has slammed door on a 'lost generation'

NG32

I don't think Barnes was right with his racism spiel about managers, but if we don't start seeing black coaches emerge in the next 10-20 years, given the current racial makeup of football in Europe, then maybe he will have a point. I know Ince and Barnes have been failures, but very few have been given any sort of chance. I could see Geremi ending up being a manager actually, he speaks loads of languages, seems pretty bright and has seen it all in football. Also I'm sure he's regularly been a father figure even in his short time with us for the likes of N'Zog and Bassong.

Brazil, one of the most multicultural nations on earth, has not got(or ever had, as far as I know) a black manager - you can bet your life that had a black guy like Pele proved to be a top class manager, they would have appointed him.

Apart from the fact that you're almost certainly wrong – no black club managers in Brazil? Prove it – what the fuck is this supposed to prove?

They're even racist in Brazil so it's OK to be racist in the UK?

Them nig-nogs is too stupid to be managers?

Try engaging your brain before posting.

Brazil, one of the most multicultural nations on earth, has not got(or ever had, as far as I know) a black manager - you can bet your life that had a black guy like Pele proved to be a top class manager, they would have appointed him.

Apart from the fact that you're almost certainly wrong – no black club managers in Brazil? Prove it – what the f*** is this supposed to prove?

It proves black people aren't as clever as white people?

Apart from the fact that you're almost certainly wrong no black club managers in Brazil? Prove it what the fuck is this supposed to prove?

He didn't say there were no black club managers in Brazil. Also, it seems to read pretty obviously that he's saying had there been a top class black manager in Brazil they'd have appointed him. The point is that there haven't been any black managers coming through that are good enough. Whether you agree with that point is a different matter, you've completely misrepresented his post though.

Apart from the fact that you're almost certainly wrong – no black club managers in Brazil? Prove it – what the fuck is this supposed to prove?

wtf?

Are we the only club in the whole of the UK to have had two black managers? well I know Hughton isn't officially a manager but you get my drift.

And I agree with the people who say there should be more black coaches in proportion to the black players there are/have been in the last 10 years or so.

When you think of knackers like Peter Reid, Phil Brown, others I can't be bothered to mention, it makes no sense not to hire black managers, let them prove they can be as crap as Reid, Brown etc,or as good as Ferguson for that matter.

Unless they're brilliant or terrible it basically makes very little difference who your manager is a lot of the time. Changing it very rarely produces results that wouldn't have been seen if you'd continued with the status quo and if it does there's a good chance it'll be as much down to the cyclical nature of football (i.e. nobody stays in the same position forever) as anything else.

Massively simplified but I read quite an interesting article along these lines some time ago, and I think a lot of the time it holds true.

Too much of an issue is made out of it. Colour of skin shouldn't matter these days. If its true than only 80% of footballer in the leagues are white, then that's also down on the ratio in society. There are hardly any Asians in football either. If people like Ince and Barnes concentrated more on being good managers then they might stand more of a chance. Barnes especially has been truely horrific in both roles he's had, and he's hardly an enspiring person to listen to. Its no wonder he doesn't get many offers of work.

The stats may show Barnes could be right, I guess it would take other black players to come out and say why they did not want to n=be managers or those are do want to be managers to come out and tell their story. As far as Barnes go's I just think he is a crap manager, his skin colour has nothign to do with it.

Apart from the fact that you're almost certainly wrong – no black club managers in Brazil? Prove it – what the f*** is this supposed to prove?

Haaaaaaaaaaaaannnng on a minute........you're not the REAL Ozymandias are you?

Guest toonlass

John Barnes was fantastic at Celtic.

Super-Cally-Go-Ballistic-Celtic-Are-Atrocious!

Still my favourite ever sports headline by a country mile.

:laugh:

Players, managers, coaches - are all picked for their ability, it has nothing to do with being black or white or whatever.

People like John Barnes just throw their toys out the pram and blame racism just because he refuses to admit he's a shit manager.

"There are no black managers in the Premier League! OMG! WTF?!!" - I somehow don't think it has anything to do with skin colour, it just so happens that alot of the best managers around atm are white. Built on pure coincidence.

Players, managers, coaches - are all picked for their ability, it has nothing to do with being black or white or whatever.

People like John Barnes just throw their toys out the pram and blame racism just because he refuses to admit he's a shit manager.

"There are no black managers in the Premier League! OMG! WTF?!!" - I somehow don't think it has anything to do with skin colour, it just so happens that alot of the best managers around atm are white. Built on pure coincidence.

Again, you've missed the point. There are almost no black managers at any level of the game. Nothing to do with PL.

People like John Barnes just throw their toys out the pram and blame racism just because he refuses to admit he's a s*** manager.

Again, you've missed the point. There are almost no black managers at any level of the game. Nothing to do with PL.

But where's the evidence that it's linked to racism?

It could be a number of factors. Lack of ability, lack of ambition to become manager or coach etc. - the colour of their skin is irrelevant.

People like John Barnes just throw their toys out the pram and blame racism just because he refuses to admit he's a s*** manager.

It could be a number of factors. Lack of ability, lack of ambition to become manager or coach etc. - the colour of their skin is irrelevant.

According to who?

The fact is that, currently, about a quarter of players in the Football League are black, but there are very, very few black managers. I'm not saying it's racism, necessarily, but statistics would suggest there ought to be a larger number of black managers. FOR SOME REASON, black players do not tend to go on to become coaches or managers.

According to who?

The fact is that, currently, about a quarter of players in the Football League are black, but there are very, very few black managers. I'm not saying it's racism, necessarily, but statistics would suggest there ought to be a larger number of black managers. FOR SOME REASON, black players do not tend to go on to become coaches or managers.

A quarter now, and maybe we will see more in the future, but how many was there back 10-20 years ago, at the right age now to step in to management? And don't include foreign based as they possibly will fuk off back home or to another league where they've played before rather than just stay in a Country they played in for a couple of years.

Fact is there are more failed white British footballers out there who have the drive to go in to management than there is black, and maybe the former black players who have made it just find that chilling out living the dream off their well earned money is more appealing than the stress and strains of management?

According to who?

so if a quarter of players are black which is far higher than the population at large does it mean there is a factor which leads to black men having a higher likelihood of becoming a professional footballer but less likely to become a manger.

i guess it's my being white that stopped me becoming a professional footballer as ther seems an in built bias towards black men.

I've always found the ratio of black players to black managers pretty staggering. Then again, the genetic factors that give black players the advantage don't correlate with managerial capabilities at a guess

According to who?

A quarter now, and maybe we will see more in the future, but how many was there back 10-20 years ago, at the right age now to step in to management? And don't include foreign based as they possibly will fuk off back home or to another league where they've played before rather than just stay in a Country they played in for a couple of years.

Fact is there are more failed white British footballers out there who have the drive to go in to management than there is black, and maybe the former black players who have made it just find that chilling out living the dream off their well earned money is more appealing than the stress and strains of management?

I appreciate that there were fewer black players in the past, and that obviously has a bearing. But the younger managers in the game now come from an era when they had several black team-mates. If the percentages don't start to tally soon, I think it's only right to ask questions.

(I'm not saying it's racism, btw: there are many possible explanations)