London Mags

Guest neesy111

Guest neesy111

moving down to the big smoke this weekend as i needed a job, was wondering anyone here in London where to watch matches etc

Guest BooBoo

I'm moving away as well, to Manchester in a few weeks. I might as well use this thread to ask of there's any good places to watch games in the city centre or the Salford area?

I'm moving away as well, to Manchester in a few weeks. I might as well use this thread to ask of there's any good places to watch games in the city centre or the Salford area?

My advice would be to stay well away!

Other than my apartment I haven't found anywhere decent in the Salford area, where exactly are you moving to?

Guest BooBoo

Noted.

My flat's in the Quays area. Salford itself looks a bit grubby so no doubt i'll be frequenting the bars of Manchester more often

Noted.

My flat's in the Quays area. Salford itself looks a bit grubby so no doubt i'll be frequenting the bars of Manchester more often

There isn't anywhere really in Manchester city centre where toon fans congregate to watch the match, the Lass O'Gowrie and The Red Lion were mentioned when nufc.com asked people to get in touch about where people watch the match around the country, the Lass O'Gowrie is ok, quite small but always has games on and often multiple games, the Red Lion in Withington will be a bit of arse to get to from where you will be living, has a big screen but whenever I've watched Newcastle games in there it seemed as if I was in the only Newcastle supporter in there.

Guest BooBoo

Aye i read about the Lass O'Gowrie somewhere, seems ok. The office i'm based in is on Quay Street and is on top of The Grapes pub which looks really good. Think i'll be in there now and again for a post work sip.

moving down to the big smoke this weekend as i needed a job, was wondering anyone here in London where to watch matches etc

so you had to go to london as you couldn't find a job but i bet you don't intend to stay there if you make a few quick bob.

The Cock and Lion is excellent, and always full of Toon when we're on legal telly - the owners are great and will always show us, regardless of who else is on.

There's also a Facebook group - search for "Newcastle Supporters in London" - and a proper London Supporters Club, who take part in the pool and darts league, amongst other things.

There are loads of us down here!

Guest neesy111

so you had to go to london as you couldn't find a job but i bet you don't intend to stay there if you make a few quick bob.

I.T. work in the north east is shocking at the moment, especially for graduates, tbf it's only 3 hours back on the train, i'll be coming back up for most home games (at least I'll be able afford to go now).

I will try to eventually come back-up as I find the place a dump

Been down here for years - it's not that bad...

There's actually quite a lot of Toon supporters. Was in one of the home stands for the Palace match on saturday and I'd say at least a third of it was in black and white stripes or the urine kit. Bloomsbury is a really pleasant area in central London which has tonnes of SkySports pubs, whenever we're on they'll show it. I'm yet to find a Mag-specific one, mind....

Used to go in a boozer just up from Highbury & Islington station on Holloway Road (The Wig & Gown) years ago, was always good when we were on the telly (crapboozer though). There's the Archway Tavern further up the road which was a bit hit and miss, got a bit lively in there at times. There was another boozer around that way that got rammed with Mags during the derby match, I think there was a message posted on a mackem site advertising it to fellow makems to watch the match, word got round to seize the pub so we did, no bother really, just a dozen sad looking mackems surrounded by black and white. I did return there the next derby match to find more equal numbers and a few Mags had brought bunches of bananas along which got thrown around when we scored, would of been class if the bastards hadn't equalised.

BTW, London's a cracking place if you know where to go, lived there for seven years.

Cock and Lion, Wigmore Street, is 100% Mag-specific. If the game is on legal telly, we'll be on there.

sounds grand, i'll have to have a wander there for the next Newcastle game that i'm around for. been in London for 5 years but tend to keep in Brixton to watch the games.

There's the Barley Mow on Duke Street, just off Oxford Street close to Bond Street tube station, 0n the corner with George Yard.

Run by Newcastle fans and full of toon on match days.

Ronnie Lambert rip

I.T. work in the north east is shocking at the moment, especially for graduates, tbf it's only 3 hours back on the train, i'll be coming back up for most home games (at least I'll be able afford to go now).

I will try to eventually come back-up as I find the place a dump

Same position as me mate.  Applying for probably 2 jobs a day without any response for the vast majority of time.  I am also considering a move to the big smoke.

There's the Barley Mow on Duke Street, just off Oxford Street close to Bond Street tube station, 0n the corner with George Yard.

Run by Newcastle fans and full of toon on match days.

The Geordie owners of the Barley Mow left around 3 years ago and the new owners removed Sky Sports (although I think they got it back eventually) All the old Barley Mow regulars are now at the Cock and Lion.