Marlon Harewood

Dave

If Harewood signs then surely thats the return of 442 with 2 proper forward players? Also IF it is to be like that, what midfield would you have and what do you think Hughton would have?

Mine:

Lua Lua Barton Guthrie Jonas

Hughtons:

Barton Nolan Butt Smith (or some equally insane set up with those 4)

:(

If Harewood signs then surely thats the return of 442 with 2 proper forward players? Also IF it is to be like that, what midfield would you have and what do you think Hughton would have?

Mine:

Lua Lua    Barton     Guthrie     Jonas

Hughtons:

Barton     Nolan       Butt      Smith    (or some equally insane set up with those 4)

Lua Lua no where near good enough to take Smith out of the team.

Mine:

Hughtons:

Barton     Nolan       Butt      Smith    (or some equally insane set up with those 4)

Where would you put Smith though? Would he be better in the centre than Barton? Barton is wasted out on the right imo.

R. Taylor  Guthrie  Barton  Jonas

Harewood  Loven

Two wingers, a decent CM partnership and two forwards.

With Ameobi still to come back and Carroll, Smith and Nolan in reserve, we'd be set

Guthrie Smith Barton Jonas

With Jonas hugging the touchline and Guthrie tucked in slightly.

I was thinking that as well, but you just know it wouldnt work like that. Guthrie would be wasted like Barton is now.

Mine:

Hughtons:

Where would you put Smith though? Would he be better in the centre than Barton? Barton is wasted out on the right imo.

Guthrie for Lua Lua and Smith in Centre. I'm not a big Smith fan but he has beeen our best player in centre midfield this season, the amount of times Blackpool got through our midfield and had free long range shots showed how much he was missed. guthrie isn't ideal out wide but he'll do a job and has got a decent delivery and Barton is much more effective in the middle.

Can see Ashley cashing in on a midfielder or two in January. Most likely our better ones like Jonas, Guthrie, Smith will be courted by other clubs and he'll be more than happy to sell.

So I wouldn't worry about having too many midfielders, if we can get a right winger in on loan then go for it. Bear in mind these loan signings could bugger off in January anyway. I have a bad feeling that month will be a turning point in our season because Ashley will almost certainly still be at the club.

As for up front, I'd prefer Kamara but he's just come in and scored for Fulham so it seems unlikely. Harewood will definitely bring some qualities we don't have. He's quick, strong and proven at this level and to be honest we don't have anyone like that at all. He's not the best finisher but I fancy him to cause defences more problems than our other forwards because of his other qualities. The big worry would be his injury situation but on loan we don't really have a lot of choice right now.

As someone also said it would most likely force a 4-4-2 formation. There is no way we should be playing with 1 up front against teams like Blackpool.

The good thing about Harewood is that he is a pretty big guy who can hold the ball up quite well, but he also has a good turn of pace also, which is desperately needed.

The bad side is somebody will need to pass to him and we dont create much at present.

It's easier to create for a more mobile striker who makes the runs, and it's also a lot easier when there are two up top rather than one.