Marlon Harewood

Dave

Just putting out a hypothetical situation: what if Harewood doesn't score in his first 4-5 games?  Should Ranger come back in?  That's all the chance Ranger got to be fair and it was enough for people to write him off as not being a goal threat.

The same way Carroll was dubbed to not be a goal threat either...

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

If Marlon harewood starts ahead of Nile Ranger the management want shooting !  :angry:

Totally disagree. It's still early for Ranger and he shouldn't be playing week in week out.

Guest Roger Kint

Just putting out a hypothetical situation: what if Harewood doesn't score in his first 4-5 games?  Should Ranger come back in?  That's all the chance Ranger got to be fair and it was enough for people to write him off as not being a goal threat.

I am not writing him off. Ranger has looked more likely to score in the games he came off the bench for 20+ minutes to be honest. Done a great job playing the lone role but he still has much to learn. Will have less pressure with cameos and will no doubt benefit from it. To be honest we have 3 strikers so assuming 2 up front theres plenty of chances for them.

I wouldn't worry for Ranger at all tbh. He's had four/five games under his belt already, and he should be counting his lucky chickens for that. He's still a really young lad - he'll get plenty of chances this season.

I am not writing him off. Ranger has looked more likely to score in the games he came off the bench for 20+ minutes to be honest. Done a great job playing the lone role but he still has much to learn. Will have less pressure with cameos and will no doubt benefit from it. To be honest we have 3 strikers so assuming 2 up front theres plenty of chances for them.

Yeah, I agree.  We need to rotate in a league this long.  I just don't want to see Harewood always on the team sheet regardless of performance.  Having said that he should be given some time to settle in.

It depends though, whether he's coming close to scoring or not even looking like scoring. Ranger has looked pretty good for a lad of his age in the games he's played in, but barring that late header cleared off the line at Bloomfield Road he hasn't even looked like scoring for us

It depends though, whether he's coming close to scoring or not even looking like scoring. Ranger has looked pretty good for a lad of his age in the games he's played in, but barring that late header cleared off the line at Bloomfield Road he hasn't even looked like scoring for us

this

I reckon the number 9 should be respected, call it meaningless but it's nice to have a little tradition.

We don't have to wear black and white stripes next season but there'd be uproar if we didn't.  :cheesy:

A nice little tradition? It's a load of mythical bullshit. We've had some absolute dross wear it over the years, just since we've had Andy Cole we've been spoilt in that respect.

Yes tradition, you are aware tradition can start at any time in history?  The number is always heavily associated with Newcastle anyway and its not surprising considering those who have wore it.

Best player I've seen in black and white wore number 8.

Yep.  Dyer was a real class act.

this

Everyone said the same thing about Carroll though?  :undecided:  Now he's got 2 in 2 and has a very good chance of being a top scorer come the end of the season, IMO.

Carroll will get goals, just not much more than 1 in 4 imo. Ranger hasn't looked dangerous at all to me

I know he hasn't looked very dangerous but that's what I'm saying, look at Carroll now.  The exact same things were said about him and what do you know but a few games later and he looks like a top striker (for this league anyway).

I reckon the number 9 should be respected, call it meaningless but it's nice to have a little tradition.

We don't have to wear black and white stripes next season but there'd be uproar if we didn't.  :cheesy:

A nice little tradition? It's a load of mythical bullshit. We've had some absolute dross wear it over the years, just since we've had Andy Cole we've been spoilt in that respect.

Yes tradition, you are aware tradition can start at any time in history?  The number is always heavily associated with Newcastle anyway and its not surprising considering those who have wore it.

Best player I've seen in black and white wore number 8.

Yep.  Dyer was a real class act.

wake up armchair boy. He was on about Diego Gavilan

Carroll will get goals, just not much more than 1 in 4 imo. Ranger hasn't looked dangerous at all to me

I know he hasn't looked very dangerous but that's what I'm saying, look at Carroll now.  The exact same things were said about him and what do you know but a few games later and he looks like a top striker (for this league anyway).

a good performance against the worst team (by far) in the championship shouldn't change our perception of Carroll.

Carroll to be fair to him reads the game poorly but ten times than Ranger, which is to be expected

a good performance against the worst team (by far) in the championship shouldn't change our perception of Carroll.

Carroll to be fair to him reads the game poorly but ten times than Ranger, which is to be expected

He's looked good in every game, IMO.  The only thing missing were the goals and now he's starting to get them.  Shola scored three of his goals against one of the worst teams (were at that point anyway) in the division and yet he seems to be everyone's prediction to be our top scorer.

To gain my approval I'd need to see him on some sort of pedal operated vehicle whilst eating a fruit.

Swan shaped Pedalo whilst biting into a lemon? That would be hardcore.

But on a serious note, I voted 5. What was his form like for Forest? Thats the last i heard of him.

Really? f***ing hell always remembered them as being close to each other. An advert as to why not to take drugs I guess. Was 0-0 though aye?

:nope:

and you had a go at me for being a little too indulgent with the alcohol  :lol:

That's because you do a Tony Adams and crash things into walls.  :lol:

Cruyff I think.

Yep, that. He only used it sparingly when he was with us (Spanish league enforced a 1-11 starting lineup), but it became attached to him nonetheless. Since then, it has only been worn by his son Jordi, Ammunike (don't laugh), Ezquerro (who ended dropping it for 17), Gerard and Henry.

Bar Cruyff himself, everybody up to Henry have been notorious flops, so the talk was that the shirt was cursed.

This man's career pretty much just stopped after he joined Barca. He got there, played a few matches, and messed up his knee. All of a sudden he was in his mid-thirties gtruggling to get a job with a team in the Middle East. Football can be brutal. He was a very good player up until that point though.

Will be first choice if fit and rightly so imo. Not sure who would be best to partner him though, one thing for sure Lovenkrands should not play on the wing, would rather go 4-3-3 than that.

Harper

Simpson    Colo      S Taylor    Enrique

Guthrie          Smith          Jonas

Harewood  Carroll    Lovenkrands

Doesn't look too bad actually.

Cruyff I think.

Yep, that. He only used it sparingly when he was with us (Spanish league enforced a 1-11 starting lineup), but it became attached to him nonetheless. Since then, it has only been worn by his son Jordi, Ammunike (don't laugh), Ezquerro (who ended dropping it for 17), Gerard and Henry.

Bar Cruyff himself, everybody up to Henry have been notorious flops, so the talk was that the shirt was cursed.

This man's career pretty much just stopped after he joined Barca. He got there, played a few matches, and messed up his knee. All of a sudden he was in his mid-thirties gtruggling to get a job with a team in the Middle East. Football can be brutal. He was a very good player up until that point though.

That seems to happen to a lot of Nigerian player as it happens.

Sooner Harewood than King

King is nothing but trouble. Guy has managed to steal a car, rape a girl, fight a teammate, and fight with his int'l team during his career. Not at all worth bringing him here.

Cruyff I think.

That seems to happen to a lot of Nigerian player as it happens.

Funny.

I have always felt bad for him. His career should have been better. Didn't more to Europe until he was about 24/25. In those 1993-1997 years he was just great. Was awesome in '94 WC and ACN and for Sporting as well. Then he goes to Barca, tears his knee and is out for about three years. he ought to have been up there with the best ever African players.

To be completely honest he always looked poor with us, but the guy tried hard which is more that can be said from a lot of players. But then his injury was a disgrace nobody deserves. I remember what I think was his single goal for us... his shoot was so awful it was going for a throw in, but it ricocheted of a defender and slotted in goal, like pinball. Was it against Logroñés? I think...

He was a bit of a cult hero, I still should have his shirt hidden somewhere .

Will be first choice if fit and rightly so imo. Not sure who would be best to partner him though, one thing for sure Lovenkrands should not play on the wing, would rather go 4-3-3 than that.

Harper

Simpson     Colo      S Taylor     Enrique

Guthrie           Smith          Jonas

Harewood   Carroll    Lovenkrands

Doesn't look too bad actually.

Given the number of CMs and wingers we have, i think 4-3-3 would suit us best at the moment. Don't see it happening though