Marlon Harewood

Dave

I've always thought that when you play 1 striker up front they don't get many chances, but they do tend to bring others into the game by holding the ball up, which is why you generally don't see a small/fast striker up top on his own. I thought Ranger, particularly in the second half did this job brilliantly and played a massive part in the goal by doing what he was supposed to do. Very composed for a debutant. In his case, you also have to take into consideration that it was his first game, in front of a LOT of people, and he probably wanted to make sure he just did the right thing, and didn't screw up.

Rightfully Man of the Match in my opinion.

I wouldn't be suprised if he had more opportunities to shoot if he was playing in a 4-4-2 formation.

I've always thought that when you play 1 striker up front they don't get many chances, but they do tend to bring others into the game by holding the ball up, which is why you generally don't see a small/fast striker up top on his own. I thought Ranger, particularly in the second half did this job brilliantly and played a massive part in the goal by doing what he was supposed to do. Very composed for a debutant. In his case, you also have to take into consideration that it was his first game, in front of a LOT of people, and he probably wanted to make sure he just did the right thing, and didn't screw up.

I wouldn't be suprised if he had more opportunities to shoot if he was playing in a 4-4-2 formation.

Spot on mate

Spot on mate

Indeed.  No one is saying that he was Drogba.  Just that he did an excellent job in difficult circumstances, and all from a debutant.  Maybe I'm just easily impressed but he sure as hell didn't look intimidated to me

The standing ovation he got when he was taken off suggests everyone at the match knew how good he was.

He done a good job in difficult circumstances. But the way some people are going on is ridiculous.

I can't believe anyone can pick any holes in his performance, if Ameobi had played as well as him everyone would be saying "wow Ameobi is getting better and better", and probably likewise Carroll.

He was given his opportunity to shine, and I think he showed a lot of people exactly what he's capable of.

The standing ovation he got when he was taken off suggests everyone at the match knew how good he was.

He done a good job in difficult circumstances. But the way some people are going on is ridiculous.

He did do a good job and IMO a good enough job to keep his place if Shola is injrued, showed more in hat 1 match than Carroll, same effort but more calmness, skill and vision.

Guest icemanblue

You do realise where you're posting this, yeah?

He did do a good job and IMO a good enough job to keep his place if Shola is injrued, showed more in hat 1 match than Carroll, same effort but more calmness, skill and vision.

I disagree. I'm not really a fan of Carroll either but I think Nile's pace suits him more for that role than Carroll as he can get about more which helps later on in the game when the opposition is tiring. But Carroll is better at being an outlet up there IMO.

He done a good job in difficult circumstances. .

Spot on, and a lot of promise was shown for the future.  Not sure anyone is saying too much more than that.  I might have been a little hyperbolic in saying superb - but we haven't had too much to get excited about recently have we?

You do realise where you're posting this, yeah?

Aye I know.

I can't believe anyone can pick any holes in his performance, if Ameobi had played as well as him everyone would be saying "wow Ameobi is getting better and better", and probably likewise Carroll.

He was given his opportunity to shine, and I think he showed a lot of people exactly what he's capable of.

That's quite an ineresting point actually, if Ameobi was holding the ball up with that sort of composure, a lot of people would notice and rightfully give the appropriate praise.

Thought he played well as could be expected and I hope he gets the chance to build on it with a start in the next game.

That said, it seems pretty clear to me that he's a very raw prospect whose going to struggle at times this season. Bringing in someone like Harewood is a good move, another option is needed with Shola set to miss so much time.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/09/03/marlon-harewood-may-join-newcastle-on-loan-72703-24599093/

Marlon Harewood may join Newcastle on loan Sep 03 2009

NEWCASTLE United caretaker boss Chris Hughton says he could have Marlon Harewood in his side for the trip to Cardiff City in 10 days time.

Excellent.

http://walkerma.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/mr-burns.gif

Thought he played well as could be expected and I hope he gets the chance to build on it with a start in the next game.

That said, it seems pretty clear to me that he's a very raw prospect whose going to struggle at times this season. Bringing in someone like Harewood is a good move, another option is needed with Shola set to miss so much time.

Summed up pretty well there.

Like i said,

Shola, Harewood, Lovenkrands, Ranger and Carrol.  No other team in the 2nd div could match those options up front.

Like i said,

Shola, Harewood, Lovenkrands, Ranger and Carrol.  No other team in the 2nd div could match those options up front.

Given we already have a better midfield than most teams in this division, that just leaves the defence looking vulnerable to injuries. It's crucial Hughton gets in at least a centre back on loan otherwise it will come back to bite us on the arse. If we get Harewood in I'll be pretty confident we'll score goals, and I wasn't before this move and Lovenkrands signing, despite the results.