Realistic Transfer Targets January 2010

Howaythelads

Just went to Olhanense wiki page, and I found they have a Cameroonese (or is it Cameroonian?) winger named "Messi", who's older than Leo Messi. That made me smile.

Vaz Te has had a 'mare with injuries, plus he's never got a fair crack of the whip. Think both player and club should cut their losses and move on, if he wants to still get somewhere.

CELTIC captain Gary Caldwell has emerged as a January transfer target for Newcastle United.

The Scotland international, who started his career at St James’ Park, has grown frustrated over the Parkhead club’s failure to offer him an acceptable new deal.

And the Chronicle understands Toon boss Chris Hughton has the centre-back high on his shortlist of players.

Caldwell has also told close friends and family he would be keen on a move back to Tyneside.

And with the defender available on a free transfer from July 1, bringing the player to Newcastle would boil down only to agreeing personal terms.

Hughton is keen to bolster his squad from a defensive point of view, with interest in free agent Sol Campbell and Sheffield United star Matthew Kilgallon already well known within in football circles.

However, while the 27-year-old’s experience of playing Champions League football would be a clear asset to Newcastle, they will also have to fight off interest from a clutch of Premier League clubs.

United also have competition from Middlesbrough, with Caldwell’s old boss Gordon Strachan in the hunt, and from West Brom.

A source close to Caldwell told the Chronicle: “Gary has heard nothing about a new contract for a long time.

“Naturally he’s considering his options as his contract expires at the end of the season and he is free to discuss a move in January with interested clubs.

“He doesn’t need to be told how big Newcastle are after coming through the Academy during the Sir Bobby Robson era when the club were in the Champions League.”

Not sure how good he really is, was apparently the best defender in the championship when he went out on loan but its hard to judge how he would handle the Prem. How has he got on at Celtic?

With the amount of players we need we will have to settle for a few average players.

Guest palnese

Not sure how good he really is, was apparently the best defender in the championship when he went out on loan but its hard to judge how he would handle the Prem. How has he got on at Celtic?

With the amount of players we need we will have to settle for a few average players.

Like we haven't got enough already.

Dear god, Caldwell is fucking shite. Celtic's defense is a shambles and he is one of the main reasons. Has a bramble-esque ability to play really well for 85mins and then ruin everything with a moment or two of madness. Has done that for Scotland on quite a few occasions. Would be pretty good in the championship but terrible in the premiership.

The Championship? Surely. He's one of those players that really don't have any quantifiable qualities (he isn't fast, he doesn't dribble, he isn't a lethal finisher) but has always performed during his career. So if he adapts he'd set this alight, but he'd be probably too old for the Premier.

Mind, Tamudo was quality in his prime, Rangers' dropping his signing for spare change in 2000 because of some bollocks problems with his medical is something that always makes me laugh.  :lol:

Raul Tamudo? :lol: come on ffs.

I was thinking he played for West Ham, but then I realised I was confusing him with Diego Tristan because they both played for Depor on CM99/00.

Tamudo never played for Depor, you're probably thinking of Pandiani?

Raul Tamudo? :lol: come on ffs.

I was thinking he played for West Ham, but then I realised I was confusing him with Diego Tristan because they both played for Depor on CM99/00.

Tamudo never played for Depor, you're probably thinking of Pandiani?

O0

Like we haven't got enough already.

We aren't going to be signing many quality players next summer unless something really drastic happens.