Realistic Transfer Targets January 2010

Howaythelads

Whatever happened to Matt Derbyshire?

at Olympiakos and did well for them last season......apparently picked up a few injuries this season so he hasn`t been playing much for them lately.

agreed, very handy player that can play at the back and in midfield.

A short scout report from Scandinavia:

sweden

Emir Bajrami is a young swedish left winger that could be a really good buy. Its always a bit of a gamble but this guy has been impressive in the league and in the swedish U-21 team.

I would also definately go for IFK Gothenburgs icelandic for centre back Ragnar Sigurdsson. He's a great young player. A rock in defence with good passing and shooting.

Tobias Hysen, the former Sunderland player was the top scorer in the league this season and could be a hit in the PL given the chance as a forward. Great pace, finds the net and mentally strong.

Denmark

FC Copenhagen has two great goalies. I'd try to buy swede Johan Wiland from them, he seems to be second choice and thats really a shame.

In Norway Skjeldbred and Huseklepp are interesting prospects.

he has been first choice for the last 2 month or so. He looks good....but it will be a hard fight between him and Jesper Christiansen, if they both stay there!

Neither Wiland og Christiansen is better than Harper... and Copenhagen would probably demand £3-4m anyway, not worth it at all...

'

didn´t say they were and wouldn´t want nufc to sign any of them for that price....but cant see any of them being much different from harper who is not getting younger!

Guest Heneage

Doyle maybe.

I think there are some players from the potential relegated sides we should look at, I don't think you can deem all players useless because they are in a relegated team.

Emir Bajrami would be a very good signing, interesting winger with a lot of ability. I think he's on his way to Sporting Lisbon though.

Otherwise I don't see the point in going for that many players in January. We'll probably go up with the current squad and we'll be better off waiting to sign anyone until we're in the Premiership again.

Otherwise I don't see the point in going for that many players in January. We'll probably go up with the current squad and we'll be better off waiting to sign anyone until we're in the Premiership again.

I happen to hold a totally opposite viewpoint. If you are a Premiership club, while you are more attractive towards players, you will also have to pay more. If you are a Championship club, you get away with paying less, but obviously you have to work harder to portray yourself as a desirable destination to the players.

If we are confident that we will be going to the premiership (I am confident), I think we must sign as many players as possible with premiership potential, and with premiership in mind. We will be held ransom less, and there will be more time for new players to acclimatise.

The drawback is the club must be promoted and the players recruited must not disrupt the promotion momentum. Otherwise it is loads of money/energy wasted.

It is a very delicate line to walk but a risk well worth taking.

Whatever happened to Matt Derbyshire?

at Olympiakos and did well for them last season......apparently picked up a few injuries this season so he hasn`t been playing much for them lately.

agreed, very handy player that can play at the back and in midfield.

and up front.

This "Landon Donovan being loaned to Everton" got me thinking.... why not get Stuart Holden on loan in January?

He played right midfield (for the Houston Dynamo), he's creative, works hard and was probably one of the brightest stars of the MLS this past season (and he needs to maintain fitness for the WC - despite Scottish birth he is a part of Team America). He would be very cheap and would not cost a transfer fee.

Anyone agree or disagree?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1234001/The-Real-Madrid-rejects-Yours-45m--Sportsmails-guide-whos-offer-Bernabeu-January.html

The Real Madrid rejects (yours for £45m): Sportsmail's guide to who's on offer at the Bernabeu in January

The leading English clubs were put on alert as Real Madrid placed eight of their squad on an unofficial transfer list for January.

There are no surprises in a group headed by striker Ruud van Nistelrooy, but their price tags have shock value. It is the season for giving but, after spending £265million in the summer, Real have decided they can’t afford to be charitable.

Liverpool, so dependent on Fernando Torres, would be at the front of the queue for Van Nistelrooy but a £4million fee and £75,000-a-week wages are too much for a 33-year-old — even if he guarantees goals as he chases a Holland World Cup place.

Liverpool would jump at a free transfer, as would Tottenham or Roma, but Real are insisting on hard cash for a player they believe can contribute 10 goals and help any side win a trophy.

Despite still figuring in first-team squads, Guti and Rafael van der Vaart are also on the list. Talented but brattish, Guti has a ridiculous contract at Real. Hhe could be pushed out for a £4m sweetener but stylish midfielder Van der Vaart would cost £8m.

Others at the Real exit door include Argentina midfielder Fernando Gago, the 23-year-old who has been linked with Everton. He had been assured of his future and guaranteed more games by coach Manuel Pellegrini but his outspoken desire to play has pushed the board the other way.

Everton will struggle to find the £7.5m required to buy him — while any loan approaches are being frowned upon.

Gago’s compatriot Ezequiel Garay, an accomplished centre half, is also up for sale.

He once caught the eye of Manchester United and, although Sir Alex Ferguson’s mind is concentrating elsewhere, Old Trafford’s defensive injury crisis may bring the 23-year-old back into sharp focus, especially at around £6m.

Diarra, a target for Juventus despite little more than an hour’s game time since a serious knee injury, and £6m-rated winger Royston Drenthe, a relative success at Real.

Both would find plenty of suitors in England but only Chelsea, Manchester City, Manchester United, Aston Villa and Sunderland have the cash to splash this window.

Real want at least £30m to hit their financial targets but that may leave many of their ‘bargains’ on the shelf.

Former Liverpool keeper Jerzy Dudek is maybe a more realistic target for Premier League clubs feeling the pinch. Now 36, he is at least available on a free.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1234001/The-Real-Madrid-rejects-Yours-45m--Sportsmails-guide-whos-offer-Bernabeu-January.html#ixzz0ZGwSDKLz

Guest geordienorway

This "Landon Donovan being loaned to Everton" got me thinking.... why not get Stuart Holden on loan in January?

He played right midfield (for the Houston Dynamo), he's creative, works hard and was probably one of the brightest stars of the MLS this past season (and he needs to maintain fitness for the WC - despite Scottish birth he is a part of Team America). He would be very cheap and would not cost a transfer fee.

Fuck yeah

Guest Roger Kint

f*** yeah

Was thinking that last night when i heard. Wasnt aware of him but sounds like an option we could(but wont) take which would be a huge boost to us. Also how is Klijschan(sp?) been doing this season?

Nee chance during January. But during summer, we should definitely try our best to sign Rafael Van Der Vaart or Fernando Gago, and make them the main stars of the team.

Both awfull, will get destroyed in the EPL.

Yeah... both awful....

What are you on????