Gateshead FC

geordiedean

• 6 months later...

On a roll at the minute. 5 wins in a row which includes wins against 2 of the top 4, back to within 2 points of a Play-Off spot, all on a shoestring this time (sold their best striker in the summer to the Scottish Premier League, and their best striker in January to League Two). Would be good if their momentum could get them over the finishing this time!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Neil Aspin the favourite to be the new Port Vale manager.

Watched them quite a few times under Aspin (including Saturday just gone) and they play awful football. I'm not expecting tiki taka in the Conference but it really is boring, I'm sure they played a lot better football under Gary Mills. Wonder if they might go back for Mills? Although he's done really bad since leaving Gateshead

Basically Mills played ultra-Swansea 2012 football, passing the shit out of it and keeping it on the deck. It was good enough to get us to the play-offs. Aspin on the other hand is the complete opposite, ultra hoof ball with little to no real alternative. It's absolutely turgid to watch and has ultimately cost Gateshead a few hundred fans each game.

Not sure we'd be able to convince Mills to come back, but I'd definitely be going for someone who has a track record of being able to balance attractive / effective football. People are calling for Richard Money (remember him?) who has a very good record at this level and won League 2 with Wallsall in 2007.

Guest Howaythetoon

Mills' side played some cracking stuff, very much like Arsenal though, pass and pass but not very direct when it mattered so lots of frustration in the final 3rd. I fear for Gateshead like. Corporate is fucked and attendances are down, big players in the supporter ranks who organised away days have almost given up too. Great little club as well.

Did he leave under a bit of a cloud last time and would have to repair a relationship with the board? Or was it quite amicable?

Closest they've came in recent years to getting back to the promise land was under Mills so that would give supporters hope and played much better football than Aspin's turgid stuff

Guest Howaythetoon

Aye good luck, top bloke and a very good player in his day. It's good to see a former Toon player get into management and at such a low level as well rather than the usual jobs for the boys, eh Beardsley...