Xisco's back

Crumpy Gunt

Guest firetotheworks

I can't imagine he'll stay tbh. It was the same thing with Viana. Went on loan, came back, talk of him playing by fans and Souness, and then he was sold.

Not all promising players turn out to be Cronaldo. We had high hopes for Viana but we didn't ruin him: he simply didn't turn out to be as good as we'd hoped as his subsequent career has shown.

Guest firetotheworks

I know, and look at Enrique, our best player. It's almost like the club wanted him to fail. Even Keegan didn't like him, it seemed.

Most people seem to forget that his 'bad attitude' was bourne out of Kinnear refusing to play him (and then saying it was 'crunch time' when he got a start in the cup due to about 4 injured forwards) and refusing to acknowledge his existance. Some of Kinnear's press conferences would see him list our forward options as "Obie Martins, Shola Ameobi, Michael Owen, Mark Viduka, young Andy Carroll... and Nile Ranger's showed his ability at reserve level" which was fucking ridiculous.

Think that coming out and saying "he's not in contention and is for sale" would be stupid as he may actually try harder now and look closer to being a good player if he knows he has a fair chance. He might surprise us, get a few goals, and we'll get more money back for him if Hughton actually is planning to sell him. Also, the happy camp we had last season could be spoiled by a moody Xisco - best to keep him happy and give him a fair crack of the whip imo.

Nothing to lose playing him in the friendlies.

We really are a grave yard for promising young players, especially from abroad.

In PL terms that is bullshit: Cole, Jenas & Bellamy all won YPFA award while at NUFC.

Milner got better while he with us that is why his price doubled. Bernard & N'zogbia improved dramatically while with us. Bassong went from CB in a relegated French team to be worth nearly £10 million. Shay was young keeper when we signed him.

The likes of: Kadar, Tozer & Baheng were all brought in because not 1 of the 2nd year apprentices that year got a deal contract that is why Allardyce signed/put in place to sign a players to bolster the numbers below 1st team level. It looks like Kadar is only one going to come off.

Bellamy had been a pro for a good 5 years or so before joining us. Jenas should never have won it in a million years. Cole, fair enough. But he was here during a different and completely unique era.

Milner didn't look any better in 2008 than he did in 2004, his improvements only really became evident at Villa. Far too many players have come to us at a youngish age and left with their reputations in complete ruins. We just don't get the best out of them.

Bellamy had been a pro for a good 5 years or so before joining us. Jenas should never have won it in a million years. Cole, fair enough. But he was here during a different and completely unique era.

Milner didn't look any better in 2008 than he did in 2004, his improvements only really became evident at Villa. Far too many players have come to us at a youngish age and left with their reputations in complete ruins. We just don't get the best out of them.

Yep, agree with all of that unfortunately.

I'd love us to be sufficient in producing and bringing through bought in players at a young age. It would be a really good sustainable policy of we could actually be successful with it.

Seems like Ashley has scrapped this plan completely though.

Most players who win the YPFA have been playing for a number seasons i.e Milner/Cesc. Bellamy wont the award while he was with us, Milner won it afterwards that is why I did not name him. Jenas won it. Cole was still a Newcaslte player.

Of course Milner improved.

I'd love us to be sufficient in producing and bringing through bought in players at a young age. It would be a really good sustainable policy of we could actually be successful with it.

Based on what?

Not many clubs in this country bring players through from there own youth teams to 1st team anymore, it is more a case of buying/signing 16 to 20 years olds with a bit of experience.

Based on what?

Scrimping and saving on frees and loan players, not bringing any more young players through scouting, DoF thing disasterously collapsing. Just doesn't seem like it's in the priority anymore.

We got relegated from PL there were cutbacks.

DOF = Chief Scout = Alan Carr's dad.

Do you know what you want? As few posts ago you said "I'd love us to be sufficient in producing and bringing through bought in players at a young age" players from last years Youth Cup run are going to be given a chance, isnt that what you want?

"bringing any more young players through scouting" We are getting Gosling in age 20.

As long as people realise that "giving him a second chance" means the manager should see how he looks in training and the reserves, then put him on the bench if he thinks he looks good and could perform in the league, not giving him a dozen starts in the league regardless of form ahead of other fit strikers who have previously performed for the club just so you personally can form an opinion of his ability, then I have no problem with "giving him a second chance".

IMO though if he stays he will most likely perform no better than he obviously did previously in training and the reserves to try and force himself into the first team, and will therefore probably not get much if any game time. Then people on here will once again complain about him not getting a chance because NUFC and its fans are inherently xenophobic as has been proven many times in the past by the example of a couple of players over the past few decades who could have been class, but were ruined so badly by shamefully having to play in the reserves to prove themselves they simply couldn't play decent football ever again in their career.

We got relegated from PL there were cutbacks.

DOF = Chief Scout = Alan Carr's dad.

Do you know what you want? As few posts ago you said "I'd love us to be sufficient in producing and bringing through bought in players at a young age" players from last years Youth Cup run are going to be given a chance, isnt that what you want?

"bringing any more young players through scouting" We are getting Gosling in age 20.

Aye, I forgot about the Carr appointment, I guess we'll see how that goes.

I'm happy with the Gosling signing of course, but it seems that it's a signing more out of circumstance than any actual policy or direction. I'd like to be proved wrong though, depending on how the rest of the transfer window (and future windows depending on survival) goes.

Also the youth player's being promoted thing is another positive, however again it seems more like a good-will idea to make it seem like we're trying to bring players through. Realistically only Vuckic and possibly Inman will ever make an impact at first team level?

Does Leon Best deserve a second chance or is he just not foreign enough?

Haven't read much of this thread, and don't much want Xisco back or hate Best that much, but it's a bit different. One disappointed as a new arrival in a new country to a club playing in the Premiership that was overseen by some of the most incompetent people in football. Best was playing in the same league for the best team with one of the most settled squads it had had in years and was given quite a few goes up front.

Haven't read much of this thread, and don't much want Xisco back or hate Best that much, but it's a bit different. One disappointed as a new arrival in a new country to a club playing in the Premiership that was overseen by some of the most incompetent people in football. Best was playing in the same league for the best team with one of the most settled squads it had had in years and was given quite a few goes up front.

How many starts has he made for us? He was also playing for a new time and alongside a partner who didn't compliment him at all.

I am not expecting much of Best if I am honest but the way some go on is mental.

Xisco has a fucking awful attitude, especially if he is earning as much as is being reported. I just don't see how he deserves a chance but Best doesn't. As I said, I am not expecting much of the lad but now he has had a bit of time to settle, will get a pre-season and then I think it's fair to judge.

All of the criticism regarding Xisco's attitude is predicated on a solitary quote reported  by Brian McMackem.

Xisco endured almost a full season of ignorance on the part of Kinnear and the only noises he made were about wanting to play and being prepared to work hard in order to achieve that.

I'm not making a judgement on his attitude here, btw. There's not a whole hell of a lot that can be said about it. But he always seemed to try on the pitch, even if he did look clumsy and off the pace.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Sounds like you never saw his reserve performances, where the quickest he moved was to get off the pitch at half time and full time. Not really a shining example of someone willing to work hard to regain/earn a place in the team.

Does pay make your attitude better? Both appear very limited by the way and neither are likely to cause the opposition to have sleepless nights

How many starts has he made for us? He was also playing for a new time and alongside a partner who didn't compliment him at all.

I am not expecting much of Best if I am honest but the way some go on is mental.

Xisco has a fucking awful attitude, especially if he is earning as much as is being reported. I just don't see how he deserves a chance but Best doesn't. As I said, I am not expecting much of the lad but now he has had a bit of time to settle, will get a pre-season and then I think it's fair to judge.

He got a few goals and assists. He couldn't have been as bad as some made out.

Unfortunately, if you covered his face in boot polish and gave him Nile Ranger's shirt, those same performances wouldn't be scrutinized half as much.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Don't let stats overshadow his terrible attitude towards playing in the reserves and earning a place in the regular team. Yes, he was frozen out for nearly a year under Kinnear, however, if you were Kinnear and you saw him walk about the pitch as if he couldn't care less would you have taken the gamble? Chances are coming to Newcastle did that to him, but he allowed himself to be occupied by it.

Could he have done better to improve his own resolve? Of course he could, but he didn't attempt to as far as we can see. What makes its even more puzzling for me, is that he had 3 Spanish Speaking team mates in a similar situation to bond with and attempt to adjust to the new culture with. Which is why I can forgive Fabio Zamblera, since he was the only Italian at the club, though Coloccini could speak a little Italian.

He got a few goals and assists. He couldn't have been as bad as some made out.

Unfortunately, if you covered his face in boot polish and gave him Nile Ranger's shirt, those same performances wouldn't be scrutinized half as much.

is it cos he is not str888888888888888888888888 like a banana??