Blackpool vs Newcastle United Pre-Match thread - 16/09/09 - 19:45 KO

ElDiablo

I've got a funny feeling we might struggle in this one, I'm less confident than I was before Cardiff. Not sure why, don't know anything about their team - I guess it's mainly the fitness of our attackers that's the concern for this one. Ranger and Nolan were knackered yesterday and Loven looked well off the pace.

I've got a funny feeling we might struggle in this one, I'm less confident than I was before Cardiff. Not sure why, don't know anything about their team - I guess it's mainly the fitness of our attackers that's the concern for this one. Ranger and Nolan were knackered yesterday and Loven looked well off the pace.

Loven generally does, but then he pops up with a goal

Loven generally does, but then he pops up with a goal

Seemed to be playing very deep yesterday, presumably under instruction. Somewhat nullified the threat he brings. One occasion he got going and looked fast as fuck mind, don't think he got on the ball but it was pleasing to see nonetheless.

We need one of the central midfielders to shield the back four, like Smith has done so well this season. Its one of the main reasons we've only conceded one goal so far.

Guthrie, Barton and Nolan are not holding midfielders and, for this reason, Butt must play against Blackpool.

Guest Roger Kint

Am I the only one who'd put Geremi in the midfield ahead of Butt?

R Taylor   Guthrie   Barton   Geremi

Nolan   Lovenkrands

Anyone defending Nicky Butt's selection needs a f***ing slap, he makes the team worse just by being on the pitch

Whats the point of arguing it? Hughton will pick Butt regardless of how much more you know about football than him, choosing different on here isnt going to change that so why slate people for being realistic?

Nolan   Lovenkrands

Anyone defending Nicky Butt's selection needs a f***ing slap, he makes the team worse just by being on the pitch

Whats the point of arguing it? Hughton will pick Butt regardless of how much more you know about football than him, choosing different on here isnt going to change that so why slate people for being realistic?

I wasn't slating anyone for being realistic. I was slating those who seem happy that Butt will come into the team.

Guest Roger Kint

Nolan   Lovenkrands

I wasn't slating anyone for being realistic. I was slating those who seem happy that Butt will come into the team.

The realistic view is that Butt will play, its not so much defending the choice as simply accepting it and moving on tbh

I agree about the Nicky Butt bashing on here. It is childish and unneccessary and those who partake presumably have the football knowledge of an ameoba.

Butt will replace Smith in the holding role and do well. My concern is this game coming so quickly for Ranger. The lad looked stuffed playing up front on his own and I hope that either Carroll is fit to come in or Hughton playes Lovenkrands up front alongside the kid.

Anyway, Blackpool on a nice summer wednesday evening, should be a nice setting for another close victory or at the very least, a decent away draw.

If Butt was just going to replace Smith for one game I would agree that he's the ideal replacement. The problrm is, once he's in the side he'll probably take some shifting. This is the issue I had last year with people saying he's a good squad player. The fact is, he isn't used as a squad player, he's always been handed a first team shirt and it will end up unbalancing the team when Hughton tries to squeeze Butt, Smith, Nolan and Barton into the same starting eleven which i guarantee he will do.

Do we still need to go through the weekly "this will be a tough game" routine, or can we now say that we'll probably roll over most teams?

I'm uneasy with being too confident, but surely we should beat Blackpool fairly easily?

I think we should stick to the default pessimism mode for a few more weeks.

Butt and Guthrie in the middle with Taylor on the right and Barton on the left. When Jonas comes back, switch Barton.

Easy.

As much as I hate Butt and think he's fucking useless, that midfield should still be the best in the league.

Butt and Guthrie in the middle with Taylor on the right and Barton on the left. When Jonas comes back, switch Barton.

Easy.

No problem with that as long as Butt makes way for Smith when his suspension's up. Only one of the two should start and Smith's much better in the air and keeps it simple.

The worry for me is that Hughton will decide to pack the midfield to accommodate Nicky Butt. Against Blackpool we should be going for the win. We've got Plymouth at home on the weekend while Boro play West Brom. One of them has to drop points there, so if we can win both games it gives us a big chance to steal a lead at the top of the table. A draw would be a disappointment in my eyes - of course it would. We are playing to win the league here, there are a lot of poor teams in the Championship and this doesn't only benefit us - it benefits our rivals. We've won an amazing 5 out of 6 and yet we're only 3 points from the playoff places, because teams like Boro and West Brom are picking teams off as well. A draw here would be two points dropped, no doubt about it.

I have no problem with Nicky Butt coming in. I think some people are going way over the top here. We have a smaller squad than last season and 8 more games to play. This will lead to fatigue and injuries. It's far from ideal but it's what Ashley has left us with, and after the January sales who knows what what we'll look like. Rotating the squad is going to be essential this season.

Lovenkrands is a tough one. We're lacking width badly and he can provide that, but I think I'd rather have his movement up front and try and pass it through their midfield. If we're on top of the game then our full backs can provide added width, and if we're not then his pace and movement along with hold up play from Ranger/Carroll might help the ball 'stick' up front and give us an outlet.

Harper

Simpson Taylor Coloccini Enrique

R Taylor Guthrie Barton Lovenkrands

Carroll Ranger

I know you can say Lovenkrands is wasted out on the wing, but Barton is even more wasteded on the left. And having Butt simply anywhere in the side makes our whole club virtually wastededed. Plus, there's goals in that team. Carroll and Ranger can both hold up the ball and have genuinely good technique with the ball at their feet - so they can bring our centre-mids into the game, and Barton and Guthrie are our best 'box-to-box' players, so you'd expect them to find some outlet to shoot. And it would allow one of the strikers to actually pose some form of attacking threat, which simply doesn't happen whenever we play 4-5-1.

Unfortunately, he's bound to pack the midfield again to accommodate Nolan and Butt and we'll probably plod our way to a 1-1 or a 1-0.