Blackpool vs Newcastle United Pre-Match thread - 16/09/09 - 19:45 KO

ElDiablo

Is there some form of climax to that sentence?

Think hes saying he doesnt have good technique.

I really don't know why - i want him to back it up. I've seen nothing to suggest from Carroll other than that he's good with the ball at his feet. For instance the Reading game, just after half-time, when he received the ball with his back to goal and up against a couple of defenders... Shola made a run, Carroll trapped it, then lobbed it over the encroaching defenders for Ameobi to perfectly run onto it and nearly score. Then obviously there's the assist against Sheff Wed which shows we may have a striker than can actually knock the ball on with his head. He's worked very well with a second striker every time i've seen him this season.

Harper

Simpson      Taylor      Coloccini      Enrique

R Taylor      Guthrie      Barton      Lovenkrands

Carroll      Ranger

I know you can say Lovenkrands is wasted out on the wing, but Barton is even more wasteded on the left. And having Butt simply anywhere in the side makes our whole club virtually wastededed. Plus, there's goals in that team. Carroll and Ranger can both hold up the ball and have genuinely good technique with the ball at their feet - so they can bring our centre-mids into the game, and Barton and Guthrie are our best 'box-to-box' players, so you'd expect them to find some outlet to shoot. And it would allow one of the strikers to actually pose some form of attacking threat, which simply doesn't happen whenever we play 4-5-1.

Unfortunately, he's bound to pack the midfield again to accommodate Nolan and Butt and we'll probably plod our way to a 1-1 or a 1-0.

Sticking two big men up front means relying on R.Taylor and Lovenkrands getting down the flanks and putting crosses in and they are both playing out of position there. If your gameplan is launching long balls to Carroll and Ranger to hold it up then we're playing long ball and I suspect that's playing into Blackpool's hands. A little and large partnership of Carroll/Ranger alongside Lovenkrands would pose a greater threat to the Blackpool back line IMO, a simple combination of power and pace up front that has served so many clubs. In the absence of much alternative, it's the route I'd go down. We'd have a pretty static midfield and would have to rely on passing through the midfield but I reckon we have the players to do that against Blackpool, it's up front where we need to hurt them and Carroll alongside Ranger doesn't look very dangerous to me.

Fair points, but i think we've shown on more than one occassion in this league that two big men upfront - providing they have some form of footballing ability - can throw defenders off guard and pose lots of problems. Jonas and Ryan Taylor were hardly pumping many crosses into the box v Reading and Sheff Wed (who are both, imo, better than Blackpool).

I take your point but i honestly think it's pointless either, A: putting Barton on the wing, B: having Butt anywhere in the team.

Maybe keep that line-up but swap Nolan in for one of Carroll/Ranger. :dontknow:

We really need Jonas back fairly sharpish.

Ranger is only playing the target man role at the moment because he has to in a 4-5-1.  With Carroll back he came switch back to his (normal?) style of getting in behind defenders, after Carroll's flick on's, and scoring goals.

Remember as well, despite what England think when Crouch plays, you don't have to play long balls just because you're strikers are tall.

With Carroll out I think it could be:

---------------------Harper--------------------

Simpson---Taylor------Colo------Enrique

R.Taylor---Butt--------Guthrie---Lovenkrands

-------------------Nolan------------------------

-----------------Ranger---------------------

Thats if Lovenkrands is fit enough to last 60-70 minutes. I'd prefer Lovenkrands alonside Ranger with Nolan further back than he has been playing. Although he is our best midfielder and I would play him because of injuries, I would have seriously considered dropping Barton to give him a kick up the arse. I think Hughton might drop him anyway though, unless he goes for the easy option and drops Guthrie. Butt will start although he shouldn't be anywhere near the team with other players fit and better than him in his position.

Do we still need to go through the weekly "this will be a tough game" routine, or can we now say that we'll probably roll over most teams?

I'm uneasy with being too confident, but surely we should beat Blackpool fairly easily?

I think we should stick to the default pessimism mode for a few more weeks.

I honestly do think this will be a tough one. Blackpool have a good record at home and unlike the previous opponents these are a different sort of opponent. All the teams we've played so far have been past PL clubs, with the exception of Cardiff (but they have only very recently been to a Cup final). So they probably didn't get the sense of this is there seasons cup final when they played us. Blackpool will, they'll be well up for this one. It's also a much smaller ground than we've played on so far.

It's another test for the lads and a different one, if we can come away from it with another win then we'll be well set for the season.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Realistically this is the team Hughton will pick.

Harper

Simpson      Taylor        Coloccini      Enrique

R.Taylor        Guthrie        Butt            Barton

Nolan

Ranger

It won't be anything else

Am I the only one who'd put Geremi in the midfield ahead of Butt?

R Taylor   Guthrie   Barton   Geremi

Nolan   Lovenkrands

Anyone defending Nicky Butt's selection needs a f***ing slap, he makes the team worse just by being on the pitch

Whats the point of arguing it? Hughton will pick Butt regardless of how much more you know about football than him, choosing different on here isnt going to change that so why slate people for being realistic?

What's this based on by the way? He could have easily started him on Sunday if he'd wanted to. I don't think he'll play when the others are fit.

Nolan   Lovenkrands

Anyone defending Nicky Butt's selection needs a f***ing slap, he makes the team worse just by being on the pitch

Whats the point of arguing it? Hughton will pick Butt regardless of how much more you know about football than him, choosing different on here isnt going to change that so why slate people for being realistic?

What's this based on by the way? He could have easily started him on Sunday if he'd wanted to. I don't think he'll play when the others are fit.

Smith's out.  Which means technically we could have a great midfield without Butt, but Smith's our Captain in Butt's absence, so naturally Butt'll come back in to provide 'leadership'.

Nolan   Lovenkrands

Smith's out.  Which means technically we could have a great midfield without Butt, but Smith's our Captain in Butt's absence, so naturally Butt'll come back in to provide 'leadership'.

Not that this has anything to do with it but didn't Butt say in an interview that he'd hope this season would see him used more sparingly because playing every week was doing him in.

He's shite like.

Guest Roger Kint

I see the stand they've given us is uncovered. Take your brollies.

Aye am expecting to get soaked.

Plus theres the fact tickets are unreserved, guaranteed mayhem tbh :celb:

No need guys - it's glorious weather in the North West and it'll be fine tomorrow night too.  Might be worthwhile wearing your thermals though.

Guest Roger Kint

No need guys - it's glorious weather in the North West and it'll be fine tomorrow night too.  Might be worthwhile wearing your thermals though.

Geordie thermals = T Shirt tbh O0