The Not-so-Untouchable Nicky Butt

Decky

Barton should be out the door as soon as the Jan window opens if he does start to put some propper effort in. He could be a massive player for us and tear this league appart if he could be arsed. Butt can be arsed he just don't have the legs or ability any more. Nutt should be the player who gets throw on with 10 - 15 mins to go if we are protecting a lead, put him on to replace a striker or ACM.

Barton has looked like he could not care less for ages, drop Butt for Smith and drop Barton so we can play a 4-4-2 Carroll and Ranger

Bit harsh on Barton as he has been played out of position for the majority of the season. Barton and Guthrie in the middle of the park would be too much for most teams in this league. We need to be going for teams at this level, not standing off.

Barton has looked like he could not care less for ages, drop Butt for Smith and drop Barton so we can play a 4-4-2 Carroll and Ranger

Bit harsh on Barton as he has been played out of position for the majority of the season. Barton and Guthrie in the middle of the park would be too much for most teams in this league. We need to be going for teams at this level, not standing off.

:nods:

No way Hughton won't play Nolan though.  Everyone else in the midfield is being messed around to accomodate him in his "floating" role.

It should not matter where he has been played, okay he is a CM not a wide player and I am not on about him not hugging the touch line but his utterly care free passing, just swings a leg with no care. He has given it away so many times and has wasted it when we have been in a good attacking positions. Even if he was playerd at RB he should still put a shift in.

It should not matter where he has been played, okay he is a CM not a wide player and I am not on about him not hugging the touch line but his utterly care free passing, just swings a leg with no care. He has given it away so many times and has wasted it when we have been in a good attacking positions. Even if he was playerd at RB he should still put a shift in.

Can't say I've seen the game last night so can't judge him on that. He had a bad day at Cardiff (again played out of position). But other than that I've had no problems with him at all this year. But he needs to be playing in the middle of the park, to me he's our best central midfielder, but how can we expect him to be influencing games wide left?

He can influence the game by taking care when passing the ball, he over hits so many its shocking, also he only seems to bust a gut to get the ball back if he feels he was fouled and not awarded a freekick or if he was at least hit with a hard tackle.

Butt should be dropped and if we had anyone else so should Guthrie and Barton who should be running the show but dont look interested and pull out of tackles. Not sure if Barton is still not fully fit because he is defo pulling out and Guthrie does not even try to tackle and is not providing much when he should be running the game.

Defo need some creative midfielders on loan and Jonas back because as much as he has not got the best delivery always takes 3 defenders away and creates space for others.

Can't say I've seen the game last night so can't judge him on that. He had a bad day at Cardiff (again played out of position). But other than that I've had no problems with him at all this year. But he needs to be playing in the middle of the park, to me he's our best central midfielder, but how can we expect him to be influencing games wide left?

Said this in another thread, but basically Hughton is just trying to accomodate all his big name players, and all of them are central midfielders, so we end up with a load of players hovering round the centre circle doing nothing.  We had five midfielders against Blackpool's three and by all accounts they tore us to shreds, and we saw signs of it in the game against Cardiff so it's a poor show to have not learned from that. Crap decision-making when some balls were needed.

Barton and Guthrie in the middle of the park would be too much for most teams in this league. We need to be going for teams at this level, not standing off.

This for me, 100%.

Sadly Guthrie is young and not so much of a household name, so he'll make way. We'll end up with a midfield of Smith and Butt on Saturday, mark my words. With Nolan up front.

For me though, it should be Barton and Guthrie in the middle with Lovenkrands and Ranger up top. When fit I'd have Jonas on the right (Still utterly baffled as to why he keeps getting played on the left when he doesn't have a left foot) and no idea who on the left. Get someone in on loan.

Butt is like that old faithful dog, hes been around for years, he never causes you any grief, always does what hes told but his legs have gone and hes started pissing all over your carpet, its time to bring out the gun...

Guest Roger Kint

Do people remember what Krul said about Hughton picking the team based on what is least likely to upset the senior pros, and him getting stick for it?

Well I think he is spot on.

Definately. The team were woeful and so slow it was embarassing yet we somehow ended the game chasing with Nolan/Butt in the middle. Butt was by and large the worst player i have seen, agree that Barton wasnt doing well out wide(like Cardiff) and others like Carroll were poor but why is Hughton picking a team so devoid of pace away from home?

Do people remember what Krul said about Hughton picking the team based on what is least likely to upset the senior pros, and him getting stick for it?

Well I think he is spot on.

Definately. The team were woeful and so slow it was embarassing yet we somehow ended the game chasing with Nolan/Butt in the middle. Butt was by and large the worst player i have seen, agree that Barton wasnt doing well out wide(like Cardiff) and others like Carroll were poor but why is Hughton picking a team so devoid of pace away from home?

You can only assume Lovenkrands wasn't fit enough to start, other than that I suspect Hughton picks his team according to reputation rather than pick players to play specific games away from home. Not that we have a lot of pacy players who we could chuck in if we needed to in any case.

Guest Roger Kint

I agree we arent overflowing with pace but Hughton has definately decided the 'stars' will play no matter what. Why has Lua Lua not been given a chance? What about that Ferguson(?) LW? I just cant see any justification of a 5 man midfield with no legs and a crazy high ball strategy to Carroll when he has 5 men surrounding him at all times. Blackpool had almost no resistance aside from Enrique when they had the ball.

I agree we arent overflowing with pace but Hughton has definately decided the 'stars' will play no matter what. Why has Lua Lua not been given a chance? What about that Ferguson(?) LW? I just cant see any justification of a 5 man midfield with no legs and a crazy high ball strategy to Carroll when he has 5 men surrounding him at all times. Blackpool had almost no resistance aside from Enrique when they had the ball.

I've said this from way back that the most effective teams away from home I have wathed at Newcastle were SBR's side which had Dyer, Bellamy and Robert who could all hit at lightning speed on the counter - in fact just yesterday I posted that I would like to see Kamara if he signed paired with Lovenkrands away from home for just that reason. I couldn't agree more with the pointless exercise in playing a legless 5 man midfield but I'm just a punter, what would I know  :lol:

I've said this from way back that the most effective teams away from home I have wathed at Newcastle were SBR's side which had Dyer, Bellamy and Robert who could all hit at lightning speed on the counter - in fact just yesterday I posted that I would like to see Kamara if he signed paired with Lovenkrands away from home for just that reason. I couldn't agree more with the pointless exercise in playing a legless 5 man midfield but I'm just a punter, what would I know  :lol:

legless ?

aren't guthrie and barton supposed to be box to boxers.

Guest Roger Kint

If the plan is to completely deflate the fans before half time its an effective strategy, sadly it will never win games as the shocking lack of chances created shows. Away from home there must be a counter attack outlet otherwise you lump the ball straight back to them and invite pressure. I agree that we are only supporters so obviously dont know but i will be pretty shocked if a midfielder comes in on loan, it would involve having to make brave(sensible) managerial decisions

legless ?

I was referring more to Butt and Nolan...the point being that you don't need blistering pace throughout the side as long as there are two or three front players who are pretty mobile.

legless ?

I was referring more to Butt and Nolan...the point being that you don't need blistering pace throughout the side as long as there are two or three front players who are pretty mobile.

which is what barton and guthrie are supposed to provide (and jonas when fit)

Guest Roger Kint

legless ?

So picking player in positions they clearly arent comfortable in is fine as they are supposed to be mobile? Jonas is a pointless case as being injured generally means he wasnt in the team we are discussing

legless ?

Barton is playing wide left at the moment, and in the time I've watched him at Newcastle he hasn't looked like a box to box player. He hasn't got in many goal scoring opportunities in free play for example.