Newcastle United 3 - 1 Plymouth Argyle - 19/09/09 - post match reaction from p12

Nate

So if everyone is fit is this our best 11?

-----------------Harps

Simo-----Taylor------Colo------Jose

Raylor----Guthrie----Smith-----Jonas

-----------Shola------Carroll

Not sure about RM (not just in your team but in general) but yeah, other than that, it is in my opinion.

-----------------Harps

On paper probably, I'm not convinced by a Shola & Carroll partnership though

First chance I've had to log on since the match, a few random musings. Nolan was fucking woeful until he scored; lazy, sloppy, slowed play down and never got up with Carroll. Perked up a bit thereafter. Enrique had a very poor game, worst I've seen from him for some time, very nearly cost us a goal first half giving the ball away in the corner and his passing was poor throughout. Barton was anonymously wank (in the middle this time, no wing excuses). Carroll was MOTM for me, looked a different player once he had a strike partner, worked well with Ranger. Promising signs there. Going two up front changed the match, although why we didn't do it from the outset baffled me. Poor performance overall apart from the last 25 minutes or so, but good to get winning again.

-----------------Harps

On paper probably, I'm not convinced by a Shola & Carroll partnership though

I'd have Lövenkrands ahead of Shola.

-----------------Harps

I wish we'd try Jonas on the right. He's simply not a left winger, can't do anything with his left foot at all but yet we persist in playing him there.

We need a decent left winger in on loan, then we'll have a very solid first 11 if we switch Jonas over to the right where there's a chance he might actually be productive.

-----------------Harps

I wish we'd try Jonas on the right. He's simply not a left winger, can't do anything with his left foot at all but yet we persist in playing him there.

We need a decent left winger in on loan, then we'll have a very solid first 11 if we switch Jonas over to the right where there's a chance he might actually be productive.

He can't do much with his right either. Pretty sure he is a left winger, although imo there's not much to choose between the two when it comes to his best position. If we can get a decent winger for either side (has to be a priority imo) in then just play Spidey on the other side.

He was much better at left wing last season IIRC.

It's his preferred position but I don't think we'd lose all that much by moving him to the right. Can only remember him playing on the right against stoke (home and away) off the top of my head, sure there're more examples though. If we can get a higher quality LW than RW in on loan I'd be happy for him to switch.

It's his preferred position but I don't think we'd lose all that much by moving him to the right. Can only remember him playing on the right against stoke (home and away) off the top of my head, sure there're more examples though. If we can get a higher quality LW than RW in on loan I'd be happy for him to switch.

Enrique like Jonas infront of him, provides cover and enables Jose to attack more.

Enrique like Jonas infront of him, provides cover and enables Jose to attack more.

True, they do seem to work very well together.

Sounds mental but when Jonas is in our team Enrique is our most creative player.

Sounds mental but when Jonas is in our team Enrique is our most creative player.

Enrique overlaps well with Jonas, it would be great if we could get a similar partnership going on the right hand side. Ryan taylor should be able to produce a lot more consistently when he's playing full back, although tbf he did quite well on saturday.

Random, but just thought this was funny:

Newcastle defender Steven Taylor has explained why he celebrated his goal in the 3-1 victory over Plymouth on Saturday with an X-Factor style arm-cross. Apparently it's all down to his unnaturally white teeth. "I've been getting stick about my teeth from the lads," he said. "They've been calling me Simon Cowell, telling me I've had them chemically whitened. So I gave it the X-Factor sign when I scored. I was going to hitch the shorts up to my nipples. I thought that would have been a good celebration, but the fans would have thought, 'What the hell's he doing?' Honestly, I've not had them whitened. It's just Colgate."