Should we close down the academy?

Frazzle

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Even James didn't dignify you with a response, rough times.

He's still typing it.

He has to measure it on the wackyometer and make sure it is of suitable quality (ie horrendous) before posting.

Keegan did it and then we dropped 12 points

It wasn't Keegan's fault he closed the academy.  The nasty league tried to make him play reserve games at St James' Park and he didn't want to so he pulled the reserve team as a matter of principle.

He's a man of principle you know. :nods:

He didnt close the acadmeny down as there was no such thing as a academy teams. Howard Wilkinson produced his FA's Charter for Quality in 1997 the academy teams followed a few later because of this.  The youth team played there fixures, the reserves played a few friendlies. The going nowhere players like Alan Neilson & Chris Holland were sold while highly rated at the time youngsters were loanded out such as Stuart Elliott & Paul Brayson.

Keegan did it and then we dropped 12 points

It wasn't Keegan's fault he closed the academy.  The nasty league tried to make him play reserve games at St James' Park and he didn't want to so he pulled the reserve team as a matter of principle.

He's a man of principle you know. :nods:

He didnt close the acadmeny down as there was no such thing as a academy teams. Howard Wilkinson produced his FA's Charter for Quality in 1997 the academy teams followed a few later because of this.  The youth team played there fixures, the reserves played a few friendlies. The going nowhere players like Alan Neilson & Chris Holland were sold while highly rated at the time youngsters were loanded out such as Stuart Elliott & Paul Brayson.

I was taking the piss. :lol:

Guest Alan Shearer 9

The thing with our academy players is they are all young and inexperienced; where are the Geremis, the Nicky Butts of this world, why are we not producing these types from the academy? It seems in the modern football climate you have to spend top dollar to attain these kinds of superstar players.

It's common knowledge that you should introduce kids into a team gradually, in this game they were all chucked in at the deep end altogether in another unbalanced team. In the league games, Hughton has been over-protective of his senior players, packing the midfield and adopting a defensive formation. Yet when it came to playing the kids, he stripped them of any cover whatsoever, playing four forwards effectively, five if you include Lua lua. I'm sure Tavernier really appreciated having an unenthusiastic Lovenkrands in front of him for example.

It might have been good to protect the senior players for the league but I doubt it's done the confidence of the youngsters much good.

Obviously not. We should just improve on it - which is something I believe Ashley has got reasonably right...as there has been some form of improvement regarding the quality of youngsters at the club.

I still think there is a massive amount of improvement needed though if we want to have a top academy. With a quality academy it sets the perfect foundation for a club to go on and become successful.

Guest DarkSchneider

It's common knowledge that you should introduce kids into a team gradually, in this game they were all chucked in at the deep end altogether in another unbalanced team. In the league games, Hughton has been over-protective of his senior players, packing the midfield and adopting a defensive formation. Yet when it came to playing the kids, he stripped them of any cover whatsoever, playing four forwards effectively, five if you include Lua lua. I'm sure Tavernier really appreciated having an unenthusiastic Lovenkrands in front of him for example.

It might have been good to protect the senior players for the league but I doubt it's done the confidence of the youngsters much good.

This.

At least two of Smith/Butt/Barton/Nolan/Geremi should have played

Get rid of the whole lot, shut the club down, take the stands down and put salt where the stadium used to be so nothing else could grow there.

I'm sick of this football club and everything to do with it, fuck sake we cant even beat the Posh.

Newcaste UNITED, my arse.

Fucking losers.

Guest guinness_fiend

Should we close down the academy?

Yes.  And invest the money that we save in the 'tard farm that you have evidently escaped from.

Absolutely NOT - simply get better coaches for dealing with youngsters, and get better youngsters - that means getting better scouts AND getting the club a better reputation so that the best kids want to play for it because they certainly don't right now ; if you had a son who showed real promise, would you let him join the shambles that is NUFC right now when  the likes of Arsenal, Man U etc are competing for his signature ?

In the 60s/70s, Burnley would regularly pinch the good NE kids because they had a reputation for bringing them through properly and gradually. Newcastle thought they could just wait until kids wanted to sign for them....Joe Harvey was interested though, and the club brought through Moncur, Craig, Craggs, Foggon, Robson and Dyson - all of whom played a big part in winning the Fairs Cup in 69. We have never had as good a set of youngsters since ; they won the FA Youth Cup in 62 and even though Gazza & Co did that in 85, only Gazza really made it....

KK gave Academy low priority and that was a mistake - the Directors messed around too long also instead of building it up when the club was doing well in the 90s.

Continuity is important - without it, you have to spend fortunes on signing ready-made players who are NOT going to have the club at heart - I'm sure you can all think of  a few...!

The amount of rubbish we manage to produce is laughable like. Shola and Taylor the only ones to make any real impact in the last what, 15 years?

Aaron Hughes? I presume timescale excludes the likes of Elliott and Watson.

Carroll as well.

If we had've bothered in the past with the academy we would also have had Shearer, Carrick and a few others for nowt.  Not to mention loads of others who could've made it with a helping hand but didn't receive any decent coaching.

It's mental that a big club, with a big budget (in the past) in one of Britain's footballing hotspots, hasn't bothered with it's academy.  :facepalm: