No to a Bobby Robson stand.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Guest thenorthumbrian

Its not that I don't have the utmost respect for Bobby Robson - I do.

But when it comes to naming a stand at St James Park I believe that there are more worthy candidates from Newcastle United's history.

Bobby Robson spent his entire playing career away from this region and the the height of his managerial success was before he came home.

His greatest legacy is the cancer research centre which bears his name at the cities' Freeman hospital.

There are names such as Hughie Gallacher, Bob Moncur and Joe Harvey who in my opinion deserve recognition at St James' before Bobby Robson.

Joe Harvey was the clubs longest serving captain and manager and won trophies in both capacities, something no one else has achieved.

I would like to see a stand named in honour of Joe Harvey.

Arguably Newcastle's greatest ever servant.

Gallowgate, Leazes, Milburn and East.

Just leave at that ffs.

tbh, i still call them that, the ticket office staff sometimes just go blank. a bloke behind me had to tell the lass what i meant cos i couldnt remember the new name.

edit, actualy, just re read it,... weststand

Why don't we just have a nice murial montage for all those who have done significant things for the club? Put it on the wall outside the main entrance.

Why don't we just have a nice murial montage for all those who have done significant things for the club? Put it on the wall outside the main entrance.

Is Murial Montage still very high up in the Women's Institute?

"The Sir Bobby Robson Youth Academy"

As for the stand, no rush.

Yep.

He did miracles at Ipswich and deservedly got the stand named after him, it wasn't really the same here, however what he was trying to achieve, and his dream of fielding young Englishman pref from the region is a fitting tribute to him as has been discussed several times on here already.

Its not that I don't have the utmost respect for Bobby Robson - I do.

But when it comes to naming a stand at St James Park I believe that there are more worthy candidates from Newcastle United's history.

Bobby Robson spent his entire playing career away from this region and the the height of his managerial success was before he came home.

His greatest legacy is the cancer research centre which bears his name at the cities' Freeman hospital.

There are names such as Hughie Gallacher, Bob Moncur and Joe Harvey who in my opinion deserve recognition at St James' before Bobby Robson.

Joe Harvey was the clubs longest serving captain and manager and won trophies in both capacities, something no one else has achieved.

I would like to see a stand named in honour of Joe Harvey.

Arguably Newcastle's greatest ever servant.

Bang on.

Bobby was a true Geordie gentleman and did a great job for us  but it was at Ipswich where he really had success and made his name. It's fitting that they named a stand in his honour and as you say the cancer foundation will be his legacy to our region.

There's been a lot of emotional nonsense spouted recently but there have been others, and will be again,  who have done as much as Bobby for Newcastle, and we've only got so many stands.

Jackie Milburn was arguably our greatest CF in a club where the position has always been revered and he won trophies for us. He deserves the honour and when someone else eventually does the same then maybe they'll deserve it too.