At what point.....

Ronaldo

clearly not, but one of them should be starting

Why clearly not? You're here arguing that our senior players should be playing because they're much better. Well considering their experience and probable wages both Harewood and Lovenkrands should be keeping the likes of Carroll and Ranger out of the starting line-up.

I misunderstood, my apologies.

Why is Lovenkrands not getting a chance up front? We all know he's no winger, so if he's really behind 4 players in the pecking order, why bother giving him a contract?

He's not getting a chance because he hasn't earned one yet. Ranger's been far more effective and worked much harder when given a first team shirt.

Ranger hasn't scored in 8 games against utterly useless opposition. Lovenkrands always tries hard imo and showed last season that he can make an impact when it matters

I think Harewood has settled this question for us tonight, hes scored and so replaces ranger, who obviously ain't scored yet.

Carrol and Harewood up front I reckon, Ranger benched and Loven' lurking there too for now. Injuries and form rotating their status as per usual..

I'd prefer to give Ranger an opportunity with a good strike partner tbh. Andy Carroll's a beast but not a great footballer, by all accounts overall he's been pretty poor this season and if he's not winning the headers, then he isn't doing much else. At home i'd have Ranger-Harewood, away from home Carroll-Harewood.

I was just amazed that most wanted Carroll and Ranger up front again.

Maybe just maybe people thought that as the 2 young lads played well last Saturday when the team won 4 nil they deserved to keep there place in the team rather than pick Harewood who while experienced as played very little football in the last year, recently been injured and not fully match fit but can be a decent impact sub who can come on and offer something different or nick a goal like he did tonight.

I don't think anyone is expecting Ranger to stay in the team week in week out but certainly didn't see any reason to drop him or Carroll,  in saying that i fully expect Ranger to be sub on Saturday and Harewood in the starting line up.

I think Harewood has settled this question for us tonight, hes scored and so replaces ranger, who obviously ain't scored yet.

Carrol and Harewood up front I reckon, Ranger benched and Loven' lurking there too for now. Injuries and form rotating their status as per usual..

it's not that harewood scored but that he looked more of a threat and a better player.

wasn't the ranger is great and should be played straight as a banana thread a joke anyway based on the bumdaclarts comments or did some actually think he was that good ?

I actually think Ranger is the far better prospect of the two tbh. Carroll will never ever be a top striker imo, I know that's basically throwing darts at a board but he doesn't really demonstrate genuine ability with his feet very often at all.

That said, Carroll right now can be very effective at this level and i'm content for him to remain in the team until Pele returns.

Was better than Carroll tonight to be honest....

i disagree.

a lot

I don't, obviously. Carroll, although he won a few headers, was very poor with the ball at his feet and I thought at times showed no desire to chase anything down. It took the crowd to get on his back in the first half for him to start chasing down the goalie. I'm not saying Ranger was much better, but he was unlucky to be the one that was subbed in my opinion.

carroll laid a few balls off with his feet, all ranger done was controlled the ball then tried to hold his man off, which he usually failed.

"chasing down the goalie"....come on man, how often does that get you anywhere and when did ranger do it.

not writing the kid off but he needs a rest.

Guest Phil K

are you lot going to acknowledge the fact that Ranger isn't ready for first team football when his strike partner is Carroll?

Well spotted.

Was wondering why he seems to disappear off the radar when Andy is with him.

But like the above said, he isn't taking advantage of lay offs. He should be.

Still think he can come good though.

Ranger might be best served being an impact sub for the time being, certainly did very well against Plymouth. Would be hard for any defender in this league to have been battered by Carroll and Harewood (or Loven's pace) for 70 odd minutes then having to deal with a fresh Ranger.

The lad needs a rest, lets burn out harewood while he is on loan.  Harewood looks like he has something to prove at the minute so lets use that to our advantage.

Remember Ranger is still only a young lad, lets not over use him early in his career.

Guest Roger Kint

Carroll was absolutely woeful last night.

He was as lazy and wasteful as Ameobi at his worst and strutted about like he's the big i am.

Ranger should have stayed on and The Camel should have made way for Harewood.

Ranger was clearly flagging yet you want him to play on til he collapses? :idiot2:

He was as lazy and wasteful as Ameobi at his worst and strutted about like he's the big i am.

Ranger was clearly flagging yet you want him to play on til he collapses? :idiot2:

Carroll looked knacked after 5 minutes.

Guest Roger Kint

Ahhh mature debate, thanks for that insightful post

I can't say that i thought Ranger looked knacked whereas i thought Carroll was shocking from start to finish and should have been replaced at half time by Harewood.

AND with age on his side Ranger should be able to manage 90 minutes no problem.

Carroll still managed to set up the goal.  2 goals and 3 assists in 7 games isn't exactly bad considering he had to come back from an injury (which was a constant excuse used for Martins last season).

At what point will you see that Nile is a real talent but that injuries and small squad meant he had to be starting games. Still the lack of creative players behind and alongside him meant he not nailed on to score from the off, playing as a lone striker added more pressure on him that was needed. Put him uptop alongside a Rooney or Drogba and he would be banging in goals with ease, his time though will come, once he gets his first goal many more will ocme.

Guest Roger Kint

I can't say that i thought Ranger looked knacked whereas i thought Carroll was shocking from start to finish and should have been replaced at half time by Harewood.

So now you back away from the childish posts to say Carroll was shocking? Fantastic remark about Nile having age on his side like considering your original pathetic argument. At that age he is still developing and its understandable to not 'manage 90 minutes no problem' :doh:

So now you back away from the childish posts to say Carroll was shocking? Fantastic remark about Nile having age on his side like considering your original pathetic argument. At that age he is still developing and its understandable to not 'manage 90 minutes no problem' :doh:

I haven't got a fucking clue what you're drivelling on about.

Carroll was rank and doesn't look fit.

Ranger was playing well and didn't look tired to me.

Carroll should have gone off at half time when Butt did.

Guest Roger Kint

I am drivelling on? Ok i will leave you alone in your comical state of confusion until you can muster a mature debate.