Not Worthy Of A Thread

Thespence

Not the first time we've had an England so close to the start of the season as well. There really isn't any logic to it at all.

Plus you'd think a longest possible break for all things England would be the best for all.

Guest michaelfoster

Blackburn goalkeeper Paul Robinson has pulled out of the England squad for Wednesday's friendly with Hungary and retired from international football.

The 30-year-old played at the 2006 World Cup but had drifted off the scene until his recall for this game.

"Only now have I been able to make this decision as previously I haven't been in contention for selection," he said.

"I don't see myself as a number three or four keeper and find that role very frustrating."

The former Leeds and Tottenham goalkeeper made his England debut in 2003 against Australia and won 41 caps including playing in all five of England's games at the 2006 World Cup in Germany.

But he paid the price for costly errors as England failed to reach Euro 2008, most famously failing to connect with a Gary Neville back pass which resulted in an own goal in the 2-0 defeat in Croatia.

His last appearance for England was a 2-1 defeat against Russia in 2007, where he could only palm a long-range shot into Roman Pavlyuchenko's path to set up Russia's winning goal.

Robinson was not selected by England for two years after that, and only earned a recall to the squad when David James was injured for the World Cup 2010 qualifiers against Kazakhstan and Andorra.

Since moving to Blackburn two years ago, he seemed to have rediscovered his form, saving two penalties in a Carling Cup shoot-out win over Chelsea as Blackburn reached the semi-finals of the competition.

Rovers manager Sam Allardyce touted him for a place in this summer's World Cup squad, but having fallen behind the more experienced James and the younger Joe Hart and Robert Green in the international pecking order, he was never a likely contender for a place in the party.

He was named in England coach Fabio Capello's first squad since the disappointment of South Africa, but with Hart and Ben Foster also included - and more likely starters - Robinson has announced his decision.

"I haven't had the opportunity of anything other than [not being first choice] in recent years therefore I feel it is in the best interest of myself and my club Blackburn Rovers that I concentrate solely on my club football."

The news is an embarrassment for Capello as he looks to make a fresh start after the let-down of South Africa, but the Football Association says it has no plans to replace Robinson in the squad.

-------

Not really that bothered, Hart & Foster + one up coming keeper is the way to go give them experience before the Euro's

Interesting that Hughton agrees West Brom played better football than us last year.

Why is that interesting? It's a fair asessment.

To me it was him implying he'd prefer we played better stuff, which I find encouraging.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I love Hughton's reactions when we score.

Its sheer disbelief giving away to unexpected excitement!

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Plenty of teams unable to name a full bench of subs so far this season. What are the chances of even more clubs going into administration?

Interesting that Hughton agrees West Brom played better football than us last year.

Why is that interesting? It's a fair asessment.

To me it was him implying he'd prefer we played better stuff, which I find encouraging.

Oh Ok, fair enough. Hope you're right.

i agree with some of with he is saying, but i despise him and that paper :lol:

rooney is not even in the top 10 players in the world, and manusa have their worst team in years for me, not one world class midfielder in the team at all

You do realise you sound like a tit don't you?

Guest neesy111

Wes Brown now retires from England, nice to see these players telling fabio to fuck off, since he thought they weren't good enough before the world cup

Guest Stephen927

It isn't really a good thing... For all people are advocating wholesale changes, there simply isn't enough good players coming through to do that. Wes Brown is a better alternative than Johnson at right back.

Guest Stephen927

Clancy is fit as fuck but he must know she wouldn't be with him if he wasn't a footballer.

Always remember when a journo asked Crouch what he would be if he wasn't a footballer. He replied "a virgin." :lol:

Anybody who retires from international football at a stupidly early stage is a massive c*** imo.

Wes Brown now retires from England, nice to see these players telling fabio to f*** off, since he thought they weren't good enough before the world cup

What the fuck? I think I'll announce my retirement from international duty then, since that cunt Fabio didn't think I was good enough.  :idiot2: Whether the manager chooses to pick you or not should be out of the question, all players should be ready and available for selection - playing for your country is an honour not something you should just excpect and then throw the toys out of the pram when it doesn't happen.