Not Worthy Of A Thread

Thespence

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/02/15/crawley-town-fan-arrested-for-mocking-munich-air-disaster-in-fa-cup-song-video-115875-22925170/

Crawley Town fan arrested for mocking Munich air disaster in FA Cup song video

A 19-year-old man has been arrested after a fan of non-league Crawley Town FC apparently mocked the Munich air disaster in a video for their official FA Cup song.

The teenager, from Crawley, West Sussex, was held under the Public Order Act last night on suspicion of causing harassment, alarm or distress.

The arrest followed complaints by Manchester United fans about the reworking of The Specials' Hit A Message To You, Rudy, adapted by musician Mike Dobie with the new title A Message to You, Rooney.

Crawley Town posted the video on its official website and YouTube to mark their clash with United at Old Trafford in Saturday's fifth round tie of the FA Cup.

But officials at the West Sussex club failed to realise that one of the people dancing by the stage makes frequent apparent aircraft mocking gestures about the Munich tragedy.

The man also holds up his fingers up to count one, then nine, then five and eight to symbolise 1958, the year when 23 people died when the plane carrying United's team crashed on its way back from a European Cup tie against Red Star Belgrade.

A Sussex Police spokesman said today that the teenager arrested has been released on police bail until February 25 pending further inquiries.

He said: "A 19-year-old man was last night arrested by police in Crawley following a complaint about the content of a music video produced to support Crawley Town Football Club in its FA Cup run."

As part of his bail conditions, the man has been banned from travelling to Manchester for the FA Cup tie, the police spokesman added.

Crawley chief executive Alan Williams told the Guardian newspaper before the arrest that the man had been identified and banned for life.

He said: "This should be an unbelievable week for us and if anyone thinks Crawley would deliberately insult Manchester United over something so sensitive, that is what gets to me more than anything."

The club have since replaced the video on its website with a version that does not include the Munich jibes.

McCann perfect for Dundee fairytale

‘OLD BOY’ RETURNS TO HIT WINNER IN BIG WEEK

Published: 14/02/2011

dundee2

raith rovers1

DUNDEE midfielder Gary Harkins praised Neil McCann for his fairytale intervention as Dundee defeated league leaders Raith Rovers.

The 36-year-old returned to football after a three-year break to come off the bench and score a 95th-minute winner, providing the Dark Blues with an emotional climax to one of their most important weeks.

On Tuesday Dundee were saved from oblivion as cre-ditors were persuaded to accept a deal to write off the club’s £3.8million debts.

McCann, who made his debut for Dundee 19 years ago before embarking on an illustrious career with Hearts, Rangers and Scotland, sent the supporters delirious with this unlikely victory.

Dundee were trailing to Grant Murray’s goal just after half-time when Harkins scored a stunning 25-yard free kick and they won a precious three points when McCann pounced with virtually the final kick of the ball.

The result hurt Raith’s title hopes and also ended their unbeaten run away from home, while Barry Smith’s side move out of the relegation zone and have not been beaten since October. Harkins said: “You couldn’t have written it for Neil to co

Read more: http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/2134876#ixzz1E4aob0AF

Interview with Mark Doninger who just signed for the Icelandic side ÍA

After a 3 week trial in Akranes, Mark Doninger signed a one year contract last week. He has spent the last few days back in England and I got the chance to e mail him and ask a few questions.

Could you tell us about your time at Newcastle United and your career so far? My time at Newcastle was a great experience in my life. At the age of 13 I signed for the club and was there until I was 20. I have many great and fond memories from my time there. I had a few very good seasons. The highlight was probably making my debut for the first team against Hull away and being on the bench 8 times in the Premiership. Also finishing top scorer for the reserves in the season 2008/09 as well as being reserve team captain.

Have you settled into life in Akranes over the last few weeks? I've settled into life in Akranes pretty well. I've been working hard on my fitness by doing 2 sessions a day and getting into a similar routine. After a good few more weeks of hard work I'll hope to be fully fit and raring to go.

Did you know much about IA or Icelandic football before your trial? If I'm being totally honest I didn't know that much about Icelandic football before I came over, but I've been really impressed with what I've seen so far, and how professionally the club is run. I'm looking forward to the season being a sucessful one, and promotion to the top league is a must. I believe we are capable of achieving this goal with the squad and players we have at our disposal.

I suppose having the two other English players in the squad will help you settle in? Of course having a couple of other English lads here helps a lot, I knew Gary before I came as I'd played against him a few years back with the reserves at Newcastle (Gary was at Middlesborough). I get along with Dean very well, he's a top bloke, his accent is just annoying, Cockney!!!

Also been reported that he´s started dating Miss Iceland 2009

http://www.hola.com/famosos/especiales/miss-mundo2009/images/islandia1a.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/9398824.stm

Milan's Gennaro Gattuso set for Uefa disciplinary probe

European football body Uefa has opened disciplinary proceedings against AC Milan's Gennaro Gattuso after he head-butted Tottenham coach Joe Jordan.

The incident occurred after the final whistle in Milan's 1-0 Champions League first-leg defeat by Spurs in their last-16 tie at the San Siro.

Italy international and ex-Rangers man Gattuso has since apologised.

Uefa's Control and Disciplinary Body will meet on Monday to review the Gattuso case.

Uefa rules stipulate a minimum three-match ban for assault, although Europe's governing body have the power to issue lengthier suspensions.

In 2009 Chelsea striker Didier Drogba was banned for six Uefa competition matches - two of them deferred - after he raged at the referee before swearing into a live television camera after the Blues were knocked out of the Champions League by Barcelona.

"I lost control," said Gattuso. "There is no excuse for what I did. I take my responsibilities for that," added the 33-year-old Milan captain.

"I was nervous. We were both speaking Scottish, something that I learned when I played in his home city of Glasgow, but I can't tell you what we said.

"I didn't want to argue with players and I did it with him, but I was wrong to do what I have done. I will have to await what they decide."

Midfielder Gattuso and 59-year-old Scot Jordan had already clashed on the touchline during a bad-tempered second half in which Mathieu Flamini escaped with a only booking for a two-footed challenge on Vedran Corluka.

Croatia full-back Corluka left the field on a stretcher and was later seen on the substitutes' bench with crutches and an ice pack on his ankle.

"The tackle from Flamini was a horrendous tackle," Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp commented. "It was a sending off. He was two or three feet off the floor with his two feet raised.

"It was a leg-breaking tackle. Corluka will have an X-ray but I don't think he has broken it but he could have done easily."

The Flamini challenge turned the second half into a feisty affair, with Gattuso becoming increasingly aggressive.

The former Rangers favourite, making his 450th appearance for the Rossoneri, confronted Spurs striker Peter Crouch before collecting a booking that will rule him out of the second leg for a lunge at Steven Pienaar.

At the final whistle, Gattuso removed his shirt and headed straight for Jordan, hurling abuse at the Spurs first-team coach before lashing out with his head.

The Milan midfielder was pulled away by team-mates and briefly stopped to embrace Spurs defender William Gallas before following Jordan down the tunnel.

"I don't know why it all got so silly," Redknapp added. "Gattuso had a flare-up with Joe Jordan. I don't know why.

"He obviously hadn't done his homework. He could've picked a fight with somebody else. Putting his head into Joe's face, it was crazy. He lost his head."

Milan boss Massimiliano Allegri said he was disappointed with his captain's conduct but claimed his rage was sparked by a late tackle on him by Pienaar which preceded the touchline clash with Jordan.

"Flamini's tackle was quite a bad one but the foul on Gattuso on his knee was also a bad one," Allegri stated.

"I don't know what happened at the end of the match. It was not nice to see. I think there was a reason but there is no excuse for that."

Describing the scene on air, BBC Radio 5 live's Mark Pougatch said Gattuso had "lost it".

Italian football journalist Gabriele Marcotti added: "Gattuso is an emotional player but after getting angry he calmed down enough to hug and kiss William Gallas and Harry Redknapp.

"You think he is going to calm down then he goes after Joe Jordan. Absolutely incredible."

Redknapp joked that it was not wise to pick a fight with Jordan, who played for AC Milan between 1981 and 1983 after long spells with Leeds and Manchester United.

"There would be only one winner there - Joe," the 63-year-old Spurs said. "I'd have my money on Joe. Of all the people to pick on, don't pick on Joe."

:mackems:

After a 3 week trial in Akranes, Mark Doninger signed a one year contract last week. He has spent the last few days back in England and I got the chance to e mail him and ask a few questions.

Could you tell us about your time at Newcastle United and your career so far? My time at Newcastle was a great experience in my life. At the age of 13 I signed for the club and was there until I was 20. I have many great and fond memories from my time there. I had a few very good seasons. The highlight was probably making my debut for the first team against Hull away and being on the bench 8 times in the Premiership. Also finishing top scorer for the reserves in the season 2008/09 as well as being reserve team captain.

Have you settled into life in Akranes over the last few weeks? I've settled into life in Akranes pretty well. I've been working hard on my fitness by doing 2 sessions a day and getting into a similar routine. After a good few more weeks of hard work I'll hope to be fully fit and raring to go.

Did you know much about IA or Icelandic football before your trial? If I'm being totally honest I didn't know that much about Icelandic football before I came over, but I've been really impressed with what I've seen so far, and how professionally the club is run. I'm looking forward to the season being a sucessful one, and promotion to the top league is a must. I believe we are capable of achieving this goal with the squad and players we have at our disposal.

I suppose having the two other English players in the squad will help you settle in? Of course having a couple of other English lads here helps a lot, I knew Gary before I came as I'd played against him a few years back with the reserves at Newcastle (Gary was at Middlesborough). I get along with Dean very well, he's a top bloke, his accent is just annoying, Cockney!!!

Sorry but i find that hard to believe. Doninger is one ugly bastard . He wont even be on that good money.

Sorry but i find that hard to believe. Doninger is one ugly bastard . He wont even be on that good money.

He's a footballer. It's the same in any country, even if the league/pay is shit the fit women still attach to footballers.