Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)

Alby

Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)   

186 members have voted

1. 1. Have you / do you intend to pledge to the 1892 Pledge scheme orchestrated by the NUST?

• Yes
    • No

For some strange reason, quite a few on here seem to want NUST to fail, hence the sarcastic questions about how the bid is going.  Its noticeable that it tends to be the same people who constantly defend Ashley. 

I will happily renew my membership whether the bid is successful or not. Any fan based organisation that aims to improve the club and represent supporters interests has to be a good thing in my opinion.  

All most people want is some form of communication from them, an update on what's happening either way.  It's been a fair while since there's been one.

Seems a reasonable enough request if they want to "represent supporters interests" as you say.

i suppose thats a fair enough comment and i agree that they should come out and give is "a progress report",  from my understanding the original aim of buying the club is now looking to get a stake in the club,  however i may be wrong.  I do know that the main topic for NUST at the minute is the elections of the new committee which are currently taking place.

The best place to get updates from them is by listening to toon talk on a Monday night, you can get the link via nufc.co or facebook,  the regularly have both Neil Mitchell(chairman) and Steve Hastie on it and they tell you what there upto and are still doing the roadshows, think there's one in Bedlington in the next week or so.

For some strange reason, quite a few on here seem to want NUST to fail, hence the sarcastic questions about how the bid is going.  Its noticeable that it tends to be the same people who constantly defend Ashley. 

I will happily renew my membership whether the bid is successful or not. Any fan based organisation that aims to improve the club and represent supporters interests has to be a good thing in my opinion.  

All most people want is some form of communication from them, an update on what's happening either way.  It's been a fair while since there's been one.

Seems a reasonable enough request if they want to "represent supporters interests" as you say.

i suppose thats a fair enough comment and i agree that they should come out and give is "a progress report",  from my understanding the original aim of buying the club is now looking to get a stake in the club,  however i may be wrong.  I do know that the main topic for NUST at the minute is the elections of the new committee which are currently taking place.

The best place to get updates from them is by listening to toon talk on a Monday night, you can get the link via nufc.co or facebook,  the regularly have both Neil Mitchell(chairman) and Steve Hastie on it and they tell you what there upto and are still doing the roadshows, think there's one in Bedlington in the next week or so.

:thup:

I'm not sure at all how the stake in the club idea could work with Ashley still there, but thanks for the info.

:thup:

I'm not sure at all how the stake in the club idea could work with Ashley still there, but thanks for the info.

me neither but then it could work both way if Ashley is serious about staying(i have my doubts, i think he'll be off first chance he gets a decent offer) as if he wants to get back onside with the fans and rebuild bridges then he needs to communicate with the fans and doing it via the supporters trust could be a way.  very unlikely but you never know.

Guest jonlane86

I was all for NUST until I saw the survey which wasn't constructive in the slightest.

The truth is I welcome the idea of fan ownership, and the fans having a say, but do I think it would work?

At times this thread alone can be perfect evidence of ridiculous expectations.  The "realistic transfer targets" thread where either players who have been good for someone on Football Manager or totally unrealistic players have been posted in there just show how out of place some of the fans can be in terms of what we can expect and how the club should be run.  The idea also runs on the idea of having an elected Chairman, which will just give the same issue as previous boards.  Apart from instead of 200 people standing outside the ground chanting "Sack the Board", they'll be calling an extrodinary meeting of the NUST to discuss the issue and then bye bye chairman.

Also the manager.  Whichever manager that was appointed at the time of any kind of NUST takeover, would need to be given time.  You could argue that at some times your most fickle fans want to sack your manager after 3 consecutive losses, whereas the more logical thinkers would be suggesting to stabalise the management team for a couple of years at least, to give it a chance to work.

This is how I would want a club to be run.............................

If we can work to a principle of staying in the PL and finishing 17th, and budgeting on that happening every year, if we succeed better we can invest further and all that extra TV/Prize money can go towards investing in the squad/servicing the debt/improving facilities etc.  The difference between us and say Hull is that we have the fan base, even this year in the Championship we have always had an attendance of 36,000 or more, and if we do get promoted this year the attendances should increase, meaning the revenue will come in.

It is realistic to believe this club has the ability to stabalise itself in the PL.  We managed it for 16 years before last May, when if fell apart due to a lot of bad decisions IMO made by the previous board.  Don't get me wrong Mike has screwed up horrifically at times, but at least he's tried to balance the books and injected his own cash.  The difference if we were able to stabalise this time round, we could do it and be self sufficient.

Run the club on a "Not for Profit" basis, if we can do that it will give us the ability to be successful along with giving us the fans what we crave.  Football at the top tier of the English game with constant investment with no risk of 'doing a Portsmouth'.

Some of you will inevitably be thinking "what if we got relegated?".  Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a 'relegation contingency fund' to one side, and bring that into play if needs be.  We did have that this year but it was called the Ashley Back Pocket fund.

That's not surprising, seeing that NUST is an organisation that basically sprang from the mindless over-reaction to Keegan's walk-out.

Since then, they've tried to re-define themselves as potential owners, or as an umbrella organisation for all supporters' views, but they still look pretty shambolic to me.

That's not surprising, seeing that NUST is an organisation that basically sprang from the mindless over-reaction to Keegan's walk-out.

Since then, they've tried to re-define themselves as potential owners, or as an umbrella organisation for all supporters' views, but they still look pretty shambolic to me.

I don't see why that should be used as a stick to beat them with, especially as they had fuck all to do with those protests. Regardless of how or when they started I do think the fact a club of our size was without a supporters group was pretty shocking.

In comparison with some supporters clubs and trusts I've seen over the past few months they're one of the most impressive outfits. They're not making the same mistakes as they were in the early days, they're more measured in their reaction to events at the club and don't jump in with badly worded press releases but they're still far from perfect (Ashley taking money out of the club, anyone?).

In principle a practical, well run and independent supporters organisation is a great idea and one which would be welcomed by most fans.

Sadly NUST can not be that organisation as they lack credibility after a series of ill concieved campaigns which have led us up the garden path and alienated most fans. They have lied, just like the people they accuse of lying and despise so much.

They have also, crucially, tried to stick the knife into the present ownership, making statements which border on libellous, ruining any chance of a working relationship and meaning they can never provide a role as a liason group which would be so important for any fan organisation.

Fans' representative organisation - great idea - but the present brand is so tainted it needs to be flushed out and completely re-branded if it's ever going to work.

I've always been a bit ambivalent about nust because they seem more attention-seekers than people who genuinely want to represent our interests.

Could they not be the crowd for:

Awesome if we could get a fund together to buy the naming rights and call it Newcatle United stadium or something to that effect :lol:

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,68190.0.html

I've always been a bit ambivalent about nust because they seem more attention-seekers than people who genuinely want to represent our interests.

Could they not be the crowd for:

Awesome if we could get a fund together to buy the naming rights and call it Newcatle United stadium or something to that effect :lol:

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,68190.0.html

ah, now that would be a happy convergence of priorities.

Guest malandro

Seems they can't win whatever they do and yes Brummiemag it does always seem to be the same people doing the sniping.   Can't believe some people are having a go regarding the spiderman masks,  its a bit of light hearted fun in honour of Jonas and raising money for a great cause in the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation.

A few months ago it was announced the name of the stadium was up for sale. An overwhelming majority of supporters were very unhappy about this, yet NUST couldn’t be arsed to try and organise any kind of grown up sensible protest.  Yet they can find the time to try and organise a fancy dress party for the Sky cameras. They’ve got their priorities all wrong. Effective representation is what the supporter’s need, not over ambitious plans to buy the club, novelty records and Spiderman masks.

Seems they can't win whatever they do and yes Brummiemag it does always seem to be the same people doing the sniping.   Can't believe some people are having a go regarding the spiderman masks,  its a bit of light hearted fun in honour of Jonas and raising money for a great cause in the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation.

A few months ago it was announced the name of the stadium was up for sale. An overwhelming majority of supporters were very unhappy about this, yet NUST couldn’t be arsed to try and organise any kind of grown up sensible protest.  Yet they can find the time to try and organise a fancy dress party for the Sky cameras. They’ve got their priorities all wrong. Effective representation is what the supporter’s need, not over ambitious plans to buy the club, novelty records and Spiderman masks.

That's fucking horseshite. They were straight in there banging the drum when the name change was announced.

Guest malandro

No it fucking isn’t. The traditions of the club were under attack and NUST 100% failed to provide any kind of mechanism for the support to make its feelings known in a coherent and structured way, which is why we ended up with a few chants in the ground, a few kids outside the Millburn and a Cockney Rapist banner in the Leazes Corner.

The whole point of an organisation like NUST should be to help supporters act as one, harness the power we have for the good of the club. To date they’ve ran away from doing anything about anything. It’s all been about showing the media how sensible they are, in the same way the Spiderman masks is all about showing Sky what a jolly bunch we are.

The people who fuck supporters around aren’t going to be swayed by toothless supporters groups, which begs the question, what is the point in NUST if all they ever do is bang drums?

Guest jonlane86

In principle a practical, well run and independent supporters organisation is a great idea and one which would be welcomed by most fans.

Sadly NUST can not be that organisation as they lack credibility after a series of ill concieved campaigns which have led us up the garden path and alienated most fans. They have lied, just like the people they accuse of lying and despise so much.

They have also, crucially, tried to stick the knife into the present ownership, making statements which border on libellous, ruining any chance of a working relationship and meaning they can never provide a role as a liason group which would be so important for any fan organisation.

Fans' representative organisation - great idea - but the present brand is so tainted it needs to be flushed out and completely re-branded if it's ever going to work.

This

No it f***ing isnt. The traditions of the club were under attack and NUST 100% failed to provide any kind of mechanism for the support to make its feelings known in a coherent and structured way, which is why we ended up with a few chants in the ground, a few kids outside the Millburn and a Cockney Rapist banner in the Leazes Corner.

The whole point of an organisation like NUST should be to help supporters act as one, harness the power we have for the good of the club. To date theyve ran away from doing anything about anything. Its all been about showing the media how sensible they are, in the same way the Spiderman masks is all about showing Sky what a jolly bunch we are.

The people who f*** supporters around arent going to be swayed by toothless supporters groups, which begs the question, what is the point in NUST if all they ever do is bang drums?

iirc they were against the name change but as they'd just launched the yes we can campaign they couldn't and didn't want to be seen as organising a protest against the club. 

No it f***ing isnt. The traditions of the club were under attack and NUST 100% failed to provide any kind of mechanism for the support to make its feelings known in a coherent and structured way, which is why we ended up with a few chants in the ground, a few kids outside the Millburn and a Cockney Rapist banner in the Leazes Corner.

The whole point of an organisation like NUST should be to help supporters act as one, harness the power we have for the good of the club. To date theyve ran away from doing anything about anything. Its all been about showing the media how sensible they are, in the same way the Spiderman masks is all about showing Sky what a jolly bunch we are.

The people who f*** supporters around arent going to be swayed by toothless supporters groups, which begs the question, what is the point in NUST if all they ever do is bang drums?

iirc they were against the name change but as they'd just launched the yes we can campaign they couldn't and didn't want to be seen as organising a protest against the club. 

I think it was more to do with the fact they got quite a bit of abuse for the protests they supposedly organised when Keegan fucked off. They still supported and promoted the others that we going on via their website but they shyed away from going out and organising one themselves.

Anyway it's just another example of the schizo criticism on here - they apparently protest and they're showing us up, they don't and they're not doing enough for the fans.

Guest malandro

No it f***ing isn’t. The traditions of the club were under attack and NUST 100% failed to provide any kind of mechanism for the support to make its feelings known in a coherent and structured way, which is why we ended up with a few chants in the ground, a few kids outside the Millburn and a Cockney Rapist banner in the Leazes Corner.

The whole point of an organisation like NUST should be to help supporters act as one, harness the power we have for the good of the club. To date they’ve ran away from doing anything about anything. It’s all been about showing the media how sensible they are, in the same way the Spiderman masks is all about showing Sky what a jolly bunch we are.

The people who f*** supporters around aren’t going to be swayed by toothless supporters groups, which begs the question, what is the point in NUST if all they ever do is bang drums?

I think it was more to do with the fact they got quite a bit of abuse for the protests they supposedly organised when Keegan f***ed off. They still supported and promoted the others that we going on via their website but they shyed away from going out and organising one themselves.

Anyway it's just another example of the schizo criticism on here - they apparently protest and they're showing us up, they don't and they're not doing enough for the fans.

This is true, there’s no doubt the inaccurate flak they got about being nothing more than a protest group has scared them off backing any kind of positive action. Unfortunately they’ve manoeuvred themselves into a position where all they can do is make statements and start online petitions, which isn’t going to change anything.

As for the Schizo crap, I think you’ll find the solution is to decide what to protest about and how to do it without showing us up. And as far as I’m concerned NUST ignored their responsibilities when the ground renaming was announced, which is why we ended up with two protests that did ‘show us up’ as you put it.

I think it was more to do with the fact they got quite a bit of abuse for the protests they supposedly organised when Keegan f***ed off. They still supported and promoted the others that we going on via their website but they shyed away from going out and organising one themselves.

Calm down man, the criticisms you mentioned are by different posters, surely you don't expect everyone on the forum to have the same views?

Fans group Red Knights delays bid for Manchester United 

The Red Knights consortium has revealed it is not planning to make a bid for Manchester United before the end of this season.

The group of United supporters has been vocal about a change of ownership at Old Trafford and is considering the feasibility of making a proposal.

A statement said: "We will continue to work on it but do not expect it to be done before the end of the season."

United are owned by the Glazer family, who paid £800m for the club in 2005.

The Red Knights statement added: "[The timing] will have the advantage of minimising external distractions as the team enters the decisive period of the season."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/8588662.stm

Government may offer fans chance to buy stake in clubs

Supporters could be given the chance to buy a stake in their club under radical proposals expected to be put forward by Labour in their election manifesto.

The party wants fans to have a bigger say in how clubs are run amid current concerns about debt in football.

That could include fans being offered a chance to buy a 25% stake in a club.

BBC sports editor David Bond said: "There's a feeling that football isn't quite working and that fans are getting a bit of a tough deal."

Government lawyers are trying to work out how to make the proposals work within the existing structure of the game.

The initiative comes amid increasing concern about the degree of debt at some Premier League clubs; foreign ownership of teams; and the perceived low levels of commitment from shareholders with little affinity with the clubs.

The government is also said to be looking at an overhaul of the governance of football.

The Conservatives dismissed the proposals as a "gimmick" ahead of the general election, which is expected to be on 6 May.

Shadow sports minister Hugh Robertson said there were easier ways of increasing supporter influence in clubs such as by insisting on all clubs having at least one director to represent supporters.

"After 13 years of inactivity by the government on this issue this has all the hallmarks of a pre-election gimmick," said Robertson.

"There are massive, massive implications for company law and insolvency law."

Robertson said changing the rules on governance to increase supporter influence at clubs would be quicker and easier to implement.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8592378.stm

Interesting, but more than likely completely unworkable.

Guest jonlane86

Government may offer fans chance to buy stake in clubs 

Supporters could be given the chance to buy a stake in their club under radical proposals expected to be put forward by Labour in their election manifesto.

The party wants fans to have a bigger say in how clubs are run amid current concerns about debt in football.

That could include fans being offered a chance to buy a 25% stake in a club.

BBC sports editor David Bond said: "There's a feeling that football isn't quite working and that fans are getting a bit of a tough deal."

Government lawyers are trying to work out how to make the proposals work within the existing structure of the game.

The initiative comes amid increasing concern about the degree of debt at some Premier League clubs; foreign ownership of teams; and the perceived low levels of commitment from shareholders with little affinity with the clubs.

The government is also said to be looking at an overhaul of the governance of football.

The Conservatives dismissed the proposals as a "gimmick" ahead of the general election, which is expected to be on 6 May.

Shadow sports minister Hugh Robertson said there were easier ways of increasing supporter influence in clubs such as by insisting on all clubs having at least one director to represent supporters.

"After 13 years of inactivity by the government on this issue this has all the hallmarks of a pre-election gimmick," said Robertson.

"There are massive, massive implications for company law and insolvency law."

Robertson said changing the rules on governance to increase supporter influence at clubs would be quicker and easier to implement.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8592378.stm

Interesting, but more than likely completely unworkable.

How could you ensure the fans have a true say in what they wanted?  Would it work on ST holders? Members?  Different fan groups have different opinions, i.e. some groups may want 25% of the clubs and others might not.  Not to mention the financial aspect........

A very flawed idea, but the most misguided assumption is that fan representation on board would lead to a greater degree of financial stability. Fans tend to pressure owners to spend more money.