Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)

Alby

Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)   

186 members have voted

1. 1. Have you / do you intend to pledge to the 1892 Pledge scheme orchestrated by the NUST?

• Yes
    • No

Guest malandro

I’ve changed my mind about NUST and won’t be renewing my membership. They’ve lost all sense of direction and don’t have any interest in the views of the membership. They pay lip service to being representative but when push comes to shove the membership have been cut out of the loop.

I can look past the mistakes, but not broken promises. 

There's apparently a £100 lifetime membership renewal option. Fucking hell. :kasper:

Getting a bit ahead of themselves for an organisation who haven't filed a single set of accounts yet.

They only need a million people to take up the offer and then they'd have enough funds to buy the club.

• 4 weeks later...

We have been sending out emails and update our website fairly frequently to allow people to see what we have been up to.

In the last few weeks we have become the first fans group to meet up with the Minister for Sport to talk about how he can help the Supporters Trust movement. We have had meetings with the Arsenal Supporters Trust and have held a lot of meetings with influential people inside the game. We also attended the Council's planning committee to argue against the rebranding of the stadium.

We have also arranged for 2 sets of local acheivers to attend St. James on match day and have organised a Youngsters football tournament. We are currently in the process of setting up a Junior Trust for under 16 year olds and are working with Westgate Juniors to help with a website etc.

All the while we are working behind the scenes to try to make fan ownership of part / all of the club a reality - which is the whole point of the existance of a Supporters Trust - which is not really a Supporters Club.

With all due respect the fans forums on the internet do not give a true picture of what the majority of fans want from NUST and a lot of people do not really understand what we are trying to achieve. There are a lot of opinions out there about what NUST should be doing - but a lot of them are not within our remit and some are even against the rules of what a Trust can do.

Anyway, we are sorry to lose you as a member, but you will always be welcome to rejoin if you change your mind about the direction that we are heading in.

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?showtopic=28307&st=40&p=795489entry795489

Don't know if anyone is still interested in discussing this lot, but I found that reply interesting about the fans forums. 

It's by far the easiest method of communcation for them, but one they seem intent on dismissing out of hand.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Too much effort to control what people say towards NUST on a forum, and it might be a shock to them to find out that perhaps they're not doing what the majority of fans want - at a guess. Good to see NUST were there to argue against the branding of SJP, another raging success story for them...

What I don't understand is they mention things being outside their remit, but presumably that doesn't include spreading lies about how much the club was making and Ashley taking from it (something like £7m per month wasn't it?), just to boost their own popularity.

If they club were even paying attention to them any more, they could have got into an awful lot of trouble for that.

It's little wonder people are confused about what they are actually about.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

They'll get no where fighting against the club/board, they have work with them, as hard as that might be, its the only way to build 'Trust' and respect. At the moment there just a little yapping dog that will eventually get bored of being Ceaser Milan PSST'd in the neck. Everything they set out to do that I've been aware of, they've failed in achieving.

People pay money for this? I think people, certainly on TT, seem to have taken the opinion that NUST is as badly organised and operated as NUFC is at times. They rarely communicate outside of its membership now (how will they get new members?), and seem to look at internet forums with disdain (how will they get new members?), which I'm sure has some irony attached.

Its already clear that the harder you fight against Mike Ashley the more stubborn he'll become, perhaps rightly so. Even if we like it or not he thinks/knows he's a business man, why should he listen to us Northern Folk when we're constantly at his door with burning pitchforks saying he doesn't know thing?

They need to call a truce with the board, which might seem against why they were formed, and try to work with the club. If the NUFC Board realise that NUST aren't out to moan about everything happening, they might, just might, listen to some of the ideas (if they have any) and help work with them as some form of 'Voice of the Fans'.

They could relay why people aren't attending, what the club do to attract new fans - from a fan's perspective.

The stadium issue - did they fight full out to get ALL signs rejected? Or could they have spent their time fighting on perhaps reducing the amount of signs and compromising?

All the while we are working behind the scenes to try to make fan ownership of part / all of the club a reality - which is the whole point of the existance of a Supporters Trust - which is not really a Supporters Club

This is where they'll always let themselves down imo.

They'll get no where fighting against the club/board, they have work with them, as hard as that might be, its the only way to build 'Trust' and respect. At the moment there just a little yapping dog that will eventually get bored of being Ceaser Milan PSST'd in the neck. Everything they set out to do that I've been aware of, they've failed in achieving.

People pay money for this? I think people, certainly on TT, seem to have taken the opinion that NUST is as badly organised and operated as NUFC is at times. They rarely communicate outside of its membership now (how will they get new members?), and seem to look at internet forums with disdain (how will they get new members?), which I'm sure has some irony attached.

Its already clear that the harder you fight against Mike Ashley the more stubborn he'll become, perhaps rightly so. Even if we like it or not he thinks/knows he's a business man, why should he listen to us Northern Folk when we're constantly at his door with burning pitchforks saying he doesn't know thing?

They need to call a truce with the board, which might seem against why they were formed, and try to work with the club. If the NUFC Board realise that NUST aren't out to moan about everything happening, they might, just might, listen to some of the ideas (if they have any) and help work with them as some form of 'Voice of the Fans'.

They could relay why people aren't attending, what the club do to attract new fans - from a fan's perspective.

The stadium issue - did they fight full out to get ALL signs rejected? Or could they have spent their time fighting on perhaps reducing the amount of signs and compromising?

The sudden change in attitude on TT has an awful lot to do with the key people on there not getting re-elected to the NUST committee imo.

The sudden change in attitude on TT has an awful lot to do with the key people on there not getting re-elected to the NUST committee imo.

:nope:

• 2 weeks later...

I can see how that opinion would be formed but can assure you its not. Firstly, that thread shows many of those who were losing faith stated the fact before I or Tom came into the thread with our views.

For myself, as Ive already stated elsewhere, not getting re-elected was not the reason for my views, they were already heading that way a good while before the elections. I had many an argument at committee meetings about things I wasnt happy with, lack of communication and the way in which Internet forums are viewed by the (now) chairman being just two of them. You just need to look at my "manifesto" to see my thoughts.

NUSC (not NUST) is something I strongly believe in, when I came on here many times and argued the points I did so because overall I believed in the organisation and I still do. Things such as the £7m per month, I was sucked into and made to believe that there was proof of this from an independent source due out any day. When that programme was aired it turned out to be something totally different, do you think I took pride in being made to look a fool?

As for YWC, we had a small group who were dealing with it day to day and believe it or not, they gave very little information to the rest of the committee (something thats still happening today and needs to be stopped). The rest of us however needed to back this, it looked fantastic from the basic info that was given out. If I and the rest of the committee hadnt backed it and promoted it as we did then it would have been doomed to failure without even a chance. Id like to think however that all promotion we did was informing rather than selling. I always (wrongly) believed that more info was just around the corner and by keeping people involved it stood a better chance when the full info was released.

Newcastle United needs a supporters club, thats something I strongly believe, thats what we set out to build, yes it came at a time when all that was talked about was protest but the basis of a good supporters club should be working for whatever is best for the fans. Away trips, fan days, stuff to keep the younger generations interested in the football club rather than have them go to "successful clubs".

It hurts to see what is happening now to the organisation I was proud to be part of, no consultation with the members, no meetings since it became a Trust (when Supporters Direct recommend 3 or 4 per year), the belief that those who post on places such as this are not representative of NUFC fans. All of that is wrong and needs to be changed.

I can see how that opinion would be formed but can assure you its not. Firstly, that thread shows many of those who were losing faith stated the fact before I or Tom came into the thread with our views.

For myself, as Ive already stated elsewhere, not getting re-elected was not the reason for my views, they were already heading that way a good while before the elections. I had many an argument at committee meetings about things I wasnt happy with, lack of communication and the way in which Internet forums are viewed by the (now) chairman being just two of them. You just need to look at my "manifesto" to see my thoughts.

NUSC (not NUST) is something I strongly believe in, when I came on here many times and argued the points I did so because overall I believed in the organisation and I still do. Things such as the £7m per month, I was sucked into and made to believe that there was proof of this from an independent source due out any day. When that programme was aired it turned out to be something totally different, do you think I took pride in being made to look a fool?

As for YWC, we had a small group who were dealing with it day to day and believe it or not, they gave very little information to the rest of the committee (something thats still happening today and needs to be stopped). The rest of us however needed to back this, it looked fantastic from the basic info that was given out. If I and the rest of the committee hadnt backed it and promoted it as we did then it would have been doomed to failure without even a chance. Id like to think however that all promotion we did was informing rather than selling. I always (wrongly) believed that more info was just around the corner and by keeping people involved it stood a better chance when the full info was released.

Newcastle United needs a supporters club, thats something I strongly believe, thats what we set out to build, yes it came at a time when all that was talked about was protest but the basis of a good supporters club should be working for whatever is best for the fans. Away trips, fan days, stuff to keep the younger generations interested in the football club rather than have them go to "successful clubs".

It hurts to see what is happening now to the organisation I was proud to be part of, no consultation with the members, no meetings since it became a Trust (when Supporters Direct recommend 3 or 4 per year), the belief that those who post on places such as this are not representative of NUFC fans. All of that is wrong and needs to be changed.

It's a bit of a worry that an organisation like that is having meetings with the likes of the Minister of Sport, and presenting themselves as remotely competent or representative. They also managed to gain the support of a journalist on a respected National newspaper, who seemed more intent on self-promotion than checking his information.

NUST have never had much credibility in my eyes, but it's scary how easy it is to get your voice heard if you're giving the media the news that they want.

Can nothing be done about that?

Can nothing be done about that?

Why would anyone want to do anything about NUST...let it die its natural death.