Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)

Alby

Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)   

186 members have voted

1. 1. Have you / do you intend to pledge to the 1892 Pledge scheme orchestrated by the NUST?

• Yes
    • No

I mean people don't know the ins and outs, myself included - I suspect there's good reason for it taking this long, or maybe not good reason, but a fairly justified reason.

I think they maybe just need to be a bit more open about it and update folk. 

Will be put to members soon. Unfortunately taken a lot longer than anticipated but a lot of meetings and discussions with some great charities in the NE - you can’t just hand over this sort of cash without all the work to ensure it’s needed, will be put to good use, due diligence etc. Equally for charities with existing ongoing funding streams and with planning, accounting and budgeting plans you can’t just handover a huge donation without warning - for a lot of charities without the planning around this type of donation it can actually do more harm than good and lead to the loss of the funding streams - so it’s taken a lot longer than any of us envisaged.  Shouldn’t be too much longer before it’s all put to members. 

Edited by Greg

21 minutes ago, Greg said:

Will be put to members soon. Unfortunately taken a lot longer than anticipated but a lot of meetings and discussions with some great charities in the NE - you can’t just hand over this sort of cash without all the work to ensure it’s needed, will be put to good use, due diligence etc. Equally for charities with existing ongoing funding streams and with planning, accounting and budgeting plans you can’t just handover a huge donation without warning - for a lot of charities without the planning around this type of donation it can actually do more harm than good and lead to the loss of the funding streams - so it’s taken a lot longer than any of us envisaged.  Shouldn’t be too much longer before it’s all put to members. 

:thup:

Can the Trust not put something out just explaining what's happening or owt mate? Might pacify people for a little while longer? It might also fire them up too like :lol:

1 hour ago, Heron said:

:thup:

Can the Trust not put something out just explaining what's happening or owt mate? Might pacify people for a little while longer? It might also fire them up too like :lol:

They didn’t even announce they had a new Chair to their members, you’re asking a lot for detailed updates like this.

4 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

They didn’t even announce they had a new Chair to their members, you’re asking a lot for detailed updates like this.

Simply not true. Members were emailed about this on 21st May. 

2 minutes ago, Greg said:

Simply not true. Members were emailed about this on 21st May. 

How many people check their emails? To be fair, most have muted them or sent them to spam after trying to be flogged puzzles.

Why would it not be Tweeted? Or some sort of statement put out more publicly?

Edit - on top of that, why have members not been updated regarding the donation? Why has it been so hard to do that too?

Edit edit - ready to inform us of the process undertaken to reappoint Hurst yet?

Edited by Fantail Breeze

1 minute ago, Fantail Breeze said:

How many people check their emails? To be fair, most have muted them or sent them to spam after trying to be flogged puzzles.

Why would it not be Tweeted? Or some sort of statement put out more publicly?

Not checking your emails is a poor excuse 🙂

Personally more chance of me being updated via a direct email than a Tweet. If they put out a statement, where would you have it put?

1 minute ago, LFEE said:

Not checking your emails is a poor excuse 🙂

Personally more chance of me being updated via a direct email than a Tweet. If they put out a statement, where would you have it put?

Their website or social media?

Many members, including on here, had no idea about it. Doesn’t sound like a poor excuse.

Think there's a middle ground here.

Personally, I feel it should have been more 'headline' and more publicised. However, I think it perhaps speaks volumes of the type of person appointed, that they'd prefer this to not be a 'headliner' over, if I remember correctly, an update re. the pledge money.

Edited by Heron

1 minute ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Their website or social media?

Many members, including on here, had no idea about it. Doesn’t sound like a poor excuse.

Never personally visited their website but you’d need to be notified to check still and like I said social media just as easy to miss.

Not saying they couldn’t of done all three but of the one they chose direct email the most sure fire way to get an update. Just check your emails more often. Lesson learned. 

4 minutes ago, Heron said:

Think there's a middle ground here.

Personally, I feel it should have been more 'headline' and more publicised. However, I think it perhaps speaks volumes of the type of person appointed, that they'd prefer this to not be a 'headliner' over, if I remember correctly, an update re. the pledge money.

And yet they managed neither? :lol: 

4 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Never personally visited their website but you’d need to be notified to check still and like I said social media just as easy to miss.

Not saying they couldn’t of done all three but of the one they chose direct email the most sure fire way to get an update. Just check your emails more often. Lesson learned. 

I disagree. I think the changing of a Chair of any organisation is probably one of the most important things to publicise via every forum you have. Like I said, it speaks volumes that more people seemed to not know, than know. 

Edited by Fantail Breeze

Well you can disagree. Personally think you’ve a bit of an unhealthy obsession with the NUST but then I guess you may of put money into the scheme (?) whereas I didn’t see the sense in it. Changing the chair wasn’t of any great importance to me either. No fan of Alex from afar but in fairness to him I’ve not been introduced to him to form a real opinion but always thought it was a case of him returning to help out as there had been a few sudden departures and Greg had intimated he wanted to step down. Don’t think it had anything to do with the takeover but I might be wrong as don’t follow their goings on that closely. I’d probably only learn of anything when having a drink or playing football with @Greg @Heron

Ultimately for £10 lifetime membership I feel like I’ve more realistic expectations of the NUST and those that volunteer to run it than you. Will leave it there. Hope you get the answers you seek soon.

11 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

And yet they managed neither? :lol: 

I disagree. I think the changing of a Chair of any organisation is probably one of the most important things to publicise via every forum you have. Like I said, it speaks volumes that more people seemed to not know, than know. 

Well, they did communicate it on their email tbf.

I agree that it should have been more publicised/easy to find though. Easy for me to criticise though when I could have done more about it by not leaving...

5 hours ago, LFEE said:

Well you can disagree. Personally think you’ve a bit of an unhealthy obsession with the NUST but then I guess you may of put money into the scheme (?) whereas I didn’t see the sense in it. Changing the chair wasn’t of any great importance to me either. No fan of Alex from afar but in fairness to him I’ve not been introduced to him to form a real opinion but always thought it was a case of him returning to help out as there had been a few sudden departures and Greg had intimated he wanted to step down. Don’t think it had anything to do with the takeover but I might be wrong as don’t follow their goings on that closely. I’d probably only learn of anything when having a drink or playing football with @Greg @Heron

Ultimately for £10 lifetime membership I feel like I’ve more realistic expectations of the NUST and those that volunteer to run it than you. Will leave it there. Hope you get the answers you seek soon.

My opinion is based on output, yours is because you like Greg.

I don’t think asking a supporters Trust to communicate with their paying members is too much to ask for.

Can’t say I have any sort of obsession, just annoyed that people’s money is being squandered and charities are without vital funding during a financial crisis.

But aye, happy to leave it there.

8 hours ago, Fantail Breeze said:

My opinion is based on output, yours is because you like Greg.

I don’t think asking a supporters Trust to communicate with their paying members is too much to ask for.

Can’t say I have any sort of obsession, just annoyed that people’s money is being squandered and charities are without vital funding during a financial crisis.

But aye, happy to leave it there.

My opinion is based on not expecting the world from volunteers and not criticising too harshly when I’ve not volunteered myself for the role. Same as I don’t expect the same level of quality or service from a community hall coffee & cake sale compared to Costa or Starbucks etc. If I base my maths on having been a member for a couple of years and I’ve another 30 years left following NUFC actively the NUST has cost me around 30p a year.

They've emailed all their members personally. Is it too much to ask of you to check your emails.

Like Greg has explained above (and yes I agree an explanation to their members on this earlier would’ve been helpful as even Greg says so himself) their is an actual benefit to the said charities not rushing to donate a load of money to them perversely because charities these days are just tax free businesses in all but name.

The obsession comment was based purely that I don’t see anything on social media #NUFC or in the local press etc that anyone is that bothered about it taking so long apart from yourself and maybe a couple of others on here but usually then after you’ve brought it up.

Hopefully there will be an update soon and lessons will be learned that can be passed on to the next democratically chosen volunteers.

5 minutes ago, LFEE said:

My opinion is based on not expecting the world from volunteers and not criticising too harshly when I’ve not volunteered myself for the role. Same as I don’t expect the same level of quality or service from a community hall coffee & cake sale compared to Costa or Starbucks etc. If I base my maths on having been a member for a couple of years and I’ve another 30 years left following NUFC actively the NUST has cost me around 30p a year.

They've emailed all their members personally. Is it too much to ask of you to check your emails.

Like Greg has explained above (and yes I agree an explanation to their members on this earlier would’ve been helpful as even Greg says so himself) their is an actual benefit to the said charities not rushing to donate a load of money to them perversely because charities these days are just tax free businesses in all but name.

The obsession comment was based purely that I don’t see anything on social media #NUFC or in the local press etc that anyone is that bothered about it taking so long apart from yourself and maybe a couple of others on here but usually then after you’ve brought it up.

Hopefully there will be an update soon and lessons will be learned that can be passed on to the next democratically chosen volunteers.

Social media pivotal to your point here, but not a few hours ago. Maybe you’ve just missed it.

14 hours ago, LFEE said:

I won’t keep going around in circles. Your defence of NUST is no better than Edwards’ defence of Bruce because he likes him. NUST has been a disaster of an organisation, including under Greg’s leadership. 

You’re wrong about my expectations, as I’ve pointed out several times. If they’re too busy to send out communications to their members, as an absolute basic, then they shouldn’t be in the role. Plenty of people willing to replace them, but they can’t, because it’s Hurst’s closed shop.

Weird how they’re never too busy to visit the club all day for free. But they can’t manage a 5 minute message.

I assume Greg must have gone back to work since he’s disappeared after ignoring the questions about Hurst again.

Unfortunately I am a very busy person these days and can no longer spend all day parked on here - despite spending many years doing so previously! I will log on again at some point tonight.

6 hours ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Social media pivotal to your point here, but not a few hours ago. Maybe you’ve just missed it.

I won’t keep going around in circles. Your defence of NUST is no better than Edwards’ defence of Bruce because he likes him. NUST has been a disaster of an organisation, including under Greg’s leadership. 

You’re wrong about my expectations, as I’ve pointed out several times. If they’re too busy to send out communications to their members, as an absolute basic, then they shouldn’t be in the role. Plenty of people willing to replace them, but they can’t, because it’s Hurst’s closed shop.

Weird how they’re never too busy to visit the club all day for free. But they can’t manage a 5 minute message.

I assume Greg must have gone back to work since he’s disappeared after ignoring the questions about Hurst again.

Not understanding the point you are making in your first sentence. 

I’m friends with Heron though you never mention that which I find odd and hints at something personal against Greg.

They’ve realised they are too busy hence standing down I’d imagine to let others have a go. Can’t see how it’s a closed shop when it’s put to a members vote. Again that hints at something personal against Alex Hurst.

Will let Greg answer the next two points and definitely leave it there other than to say when you run for NUST get in touch with me and you’ll have my vote.

8 hours ago, Fantail Breeze said:

I've no doubt that Trust can and should do better at communication, but contacting members with updates via email is a very normal thing for a member oganisation. It kind of defies the point if you use social media as a primary means of communication given it is open to to non members. The website definitely needs improvement (and isn't used well at all) and I am sure social media could be use in a better way to amplify certain messages. A quick check and it looks like 19 member update emails sent (to 14,000+ people each time) so far this calendar year.  

I have no intention in getting into a debate about the pros and cons of Alex Hurst and his co-opting with an anonymous person on an internet message board. If you want that debate (and are a member of the Trust) feel free to email me at [email protected]. What I will say is that it is entirely within the gift of the Board to co-opt additional board members provided it is within the confines of the organisation's rules. I was co-opted when I first join the Board (as were others at the time). If Alex wants to stay on the Board going forward he will most likely need to stand for election and let the members decide if he is to carry on. 

In all honesty I cannot wait for this pledge shit to be over with, as I'm sure we all cannot on this subject. Gan back to doing more 'trust' type things.

I left because I was against the fundamentals of what the trust was prioritising and the biased hyprocrisy,  accusations, personalities and perceptions of some of those at board level. I was (perhaps) wrong to leave because I should have accepted that was the democracy of the board (not the membership or wider fanbase), but frankly I'd far rather spend my time positively for a wider fanbase via Wor Flags than for those who subscribe to a trust. Make of that what you will. 

They aren't one and the same. They are a different animal and I'm not suited to this one (the trust) - I'm a do-er not a thinker. Despite this, volunteers are volunteers nonetheless and I think people should always commend that. A bad analogy - I know, because the sacrifice isn't anywhere like the same thing, but like soldiers, people choose this role, and so sympathy cannot be shown for something they've brought upon themselves (you could argue). However, it is often with some degree of sacrifice in an attempt to better a majority, in my opinion, of course, and for that it commands a degree of respect. 

@Greg and I will most likely not agree on the stance I took and I'm sure we'll discuss this over a pint (sometime soon hopefully), and hence my relative silence on finer details in here. Because I know of his busy schedule and likewise mine. But I feel I owe it to Greg to not air frustrations or dirty laundry online. Greg and I aren't perfect and we differ (as we all do) but ultimately we both share a love for Newcastle and actively trying to improve it. We will both be passionate but will find respect in that we've both done what we felt was best to benefit others, I'm sure.

I thought I could push change, I didn't fit that bill, but I do believe others should follow my footsteps and put themselves forward if they want to influence change and hopefully go several steps further than me because I still believe it is required to build my version of a trust. Hopefully someone can achieve what I couldn't... 

Edited by Heron

27 minutes ago, Greg said:

I've no doubt that Trust can and should do better at communication, but contacting members with updates via email is a very normal thing for a member oganisation. It kind of defies the point if you use social media as a primary means of communication given it is open to to non members. The website definitely needs improvement (and isn't used well at all) and I am sure social media could be use in a better way to amplify certain messages. A quick check and it looks like 19 member update emails sent (to 14,000+ people each time) so far this calendar year.  

I have no intention in getting into a debate about the pros and cons of Alex Hurst and his co-opting with an anonymous person on an internet message board. If you want that debate (and are a member of the Trust) feel free to email me at [email protected]. What I will say is that it is entirely within the gift of the Board to co-opt additional board members provided it is within the confines of the organisation's rules. I was co-opted when I first join the Board (as were others at the time). If Alex wants to stay on the Board going forward he will most likely need to stand for election and let the members decide if he is to carry on. 

I wasn’t saying it is one or the other, I think email is absolutely right to use, but all of the communication channels should be utilised to reach the widest audience. It doesn’t really make much sense not to do so.

So you’re unwilling to discuss it on here and want to move it to an email discussion? That’s sort of my point above about the communication, 90% of the Trust communication appears to be hidden as much as possible, almost like it’s known to be wrong and not wanting to share it more widely.

7+ months of avoiding the topic and it continues to be ignored. 7+ months of making excuses, but never communicating updates, about the charity money. 

A Trust should be open and transparent, particularly when we’re talking about the use of people’s money. This Trust isn’t.

I’ve offered numerous times to try and help the Trust and have made several positive suggestions on improvements that could be made. All of which have been ignored. @LFEEI’d love to be part of it but would never command the online presence needed to be voted in. Hence why I’ve wanted to try and help and support in any other way, but that offer is never taken up.

That’s another part of the problem, electing the Board is a popularity contest and people like Hurst will routinely be voted in with a nod and a wink because of the presence they hold.

It’d be much better for a hybrid approach of some elections as well as a ballot of members (who wish to put themselves forward), which would also allow as many people to get involved as possible.

9 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

I wasn’t saying it is one or the other, I think email is absolutely right to use, but all of the communication channels should be utilised to reach the widest audience. It doesn’t really make much sense not to do so.

So you’re unwilling to discuss it on here and want to move it to an email discussion? That’s sort of my point above about the communication, 90% of the Trust communication appears to be hidden as much as possible, almost like it’s known to be wrong and not wanting to share it more widely.

7+ months of avoiding the topic and it continues to be ignored. 7+ months of making excuses, but never communicating updates, about the charity money. 

A Trust should be open and transparent, particularly when we’re talking about the use of people’s money. This Trust isn’t.

I’ve offered numerous times to try and help the Trust and have made several positive suggestions on improvements that could be made. All of which have been ignored. @LFEEI’d love to be part of it but would never command the online presence needed to be voted in. Hence why I’ve wanted to try and help and support in any other way, but that offer is never taken up.

That’s another part of the problem, electing the Board is a popularity contest and people like Hurst will routinely be voted in with a nod and a wink because of the presence they hold.

It’d be much better for a hybrid approach of some elections as well as a ballot of members (who wish to put themselves forward), which would also allow as many people to get involved as possible.

I agree it's a popularity contest to some degree. No way I'd have been voted on but for my previous activism. I also agree woth some other points here. On the flip side, I do sympathise with the trust board though,  in that, half of them are average, every day punters trying to manage something entirely unfamiliar (and important!) in the spare time.

Edited by Heron

6 minutes ago, Heron said:

I agree it's a popularity contest to some degree. No way I'd have been voted on but for my previous activism. I also agree woth some other points here. On the flip side, I do sympathise with the trust board though,  in that, half of them are average, every day punters trying to manage something entirely unfamiliar (and important!) in the spare time.

Which is why they should make use of people who are offering to support them. But they can’t, because Alex won’t allow it.

https://nufctrust.co.uk/about-us/

The lack of diversity on the board doesn’t really help with the impression that it’s a True Faith boys club. 

Hopefully that’s something Thomas can sort out because having a load of people who write for TF and do their podcasts isn’t representative of us as a fanbase. 

I think a lot of people would have a lot more time and patience with the Trust if it didn’t appear to be a closed shop.

I appreciate anyone can run for the board etc but you can tell who will get in so there’s no real point in trying.

Edited by bowlingcrofty