Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)

Alby

Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)   

186 members have voted

1. 1. Have you / do you intend to pledge to the 1892 Pledge scheme orchestrated by the NUST?

• Yes
    • No

9 minutes ago, bowlingcrofty said:

https://nufctrust.co.uk/about-us/

The lack of diversity on the board doesn’t really help with the impression that it’s a True Faith boys club. 

Hopefully that’s something Thomas can sort out because having a load of people who write for TF and do their podcasts isn’t representative of us as a fanbase. 

I think a lot of people would have a lot more time and patience with the Trust if it didn’t appear to be a closed shop.

I appreciate anyone can run for the board etc but you can tell who will get in so there’s no real point in trying.

:thup:

16 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Which is why they should make use of people who are offering to support them. But they can’t, because Alex won’t allow it.

Don't think it's quite that bad, but I still take your point. The more help they get the better, to some degree. 

5 hours ago, Heron said:

Don't think it's quite that bad, but I still take your point. The more help they get the better, to some degree. 

To add a slight caveat, assuming those people giving help are reasonable qualified to do so. Otherwise you’ll potentially end up with tens of people doing random things that wouldn’t help anything.

Wouldn’t hurt to have a few advisors who potentially wouldn’t even need to sit on the Board but could provide professional advice within their own remits.

A communications lead or someone with governance experience at Board level, for example.

Their membership is so vast, they’re bound to have people with these skills.

7 hours ago, bowlingcrofty said:

https://nufctrust.co.uk/about-us/

The lack of diversity on the board doesn’t really help with the impression that it’s a True Faith boys club. 

Hopefully that’s something Thomas can sort out because having a load of people who write for TF and do their podcasts isn’t representative of us as a fanbase. 

I think a lot of people would have a lot more time and patience with the Trust if it didn’t appear to be a closed shop.

I appreciate anyone can run for the board etc but you can tell who will get in so there’s no real point in trying.

Just had a look. I recognise about 4 TF contributors? That is quite a lot.

Didn’t even realise Charlotte Robson was on the board. 

7 hours ago, TheGuv said:

Just had a look. I recognise about 4 TF contributors? That is quite a lot.

Didn’t even realise Charlotte Robson was on the board. 

Yeah it’s ridiculous how many there are.

Having an “elected” board is the one of main problems. Likes it’s been said before, it’s a popularity contest and therefore there’s no way to ensure that people with the appropriate skills and knowledge to run such a high profile Trust are put in place. Being on the board because you attended Scunny away in 2009 or have 30k Twitter followers or whatever isn’t really appropriate when you’re handling hundreds of thousands of pounds of supporters money. 

I appreciate they’re all volunteers, and I’m not having a go at any one individual. However, as soon as they started taking supporters money in such vast quantity they needed to introduce a process where there is thorough independent scrutiny which was wholly transparent.

Edited by bowlingcrofty

I don't want to support them, but then again I have never been a member, they seemed dodgy from the start.

Acting as if they were the one voice for all fans was irksome. Giving other peoples money to charity and then claiming all the credit for it was my guess at what the pledge was all about...although even I didn't expect they would hold on to the money for so long. 

I don't for a second believe they will give every penny to charity either, Alex has probably been looking for ways to skim off as much as possible.

1 minute ago, LFEE said:

I've got no doubt at all that NUFC will actively engage the Trust more and more in the coming months and years.

It's a fucking HUGE shame that Hurst is at the front and centre of this imho.

Self-serving prick.

As for the money grab, it made no sense at the time and even less now.  Again, all about ego's and PR.

4 true faith contributors on the board. Jesus Christ. 

Always a bit wary of groups like this. Agree with us or you’re not a true fan type shite. It’s fucking silly. 

The total lack of any sort of direct action or organised protest against Ashley during the bleak years will always stick in my throat too. 

8 minutes ago, BennyBlanco said:

4 true faith contributors on the board. Jesus Christ. 

Always a bit wary of groups like this. Agree with us or you’re not a true fan type shite. It’s fucking silly. 

The total lack of any sort of direct action or organised protest against Ashley during the bleak years will always stick in my throat too. 

I agree 4 TF contributors not a good look if that’s the case but I dare say you could flip it and say it’s 4 passionate fans. A maximum tenure limit might be something they should look at.

A ST isn’t really there to organise protests TBF. IIRC the NUST was only resurrected in the last few years after some strange goings on led to its initial demise. The people involved now are completely different to when it was originally formed and ran into the ground. During the SP and AO campaigns I don’t really recall any NUST presence.

Dislike them all you want but Liverpool and it’s fans looked to of shown the way again in its strength of unity.

2 minutes ago, christ said:

Honest question - Is there any genuine evidence they’ve done anything underhand here? Or is it just people who don’t like Alex Hurst imagining scenarios and getting upset by it?

No, Hurst just gives off the air of middle-class Tory grifter, who’s tiresome self-aggrandising bullshit was the genesis for ‘The Pledge’, the intention of which was never anything more than buying him ‘influence’ at the club.  A posh school Steve Wraith.  He’s got zero interest in being an ‘independent’ voice - he’d love nothing more than the club embracing him and asking him for his ideas on running things.  Like his proposal that season ticket prices should go up in the poorest region of Britain, just like a good little Tory with zero shits given to the average punter.

I admire groups like Wor Flags as they improve the match day experience for others and give their time willingly to do so.  TF having four members of the ‘independent’ board of the ST speaks volumes about their characters.  Absolutely fucking shameless. 

7 minutes ago, christ said:

Honest question - Is there any genuine evidence they’ve done anything underhand here? Or is it just people who don’t like Alex Hurst imagining scenarios and getting upset by it?

Absolutely none. They are quite frankly outrageous accusations. The Pledge money is controlled by Warren Barton, Ian Mearns MP, George Caulkin and Lee Humble and not the Trust Board.

Latest audited Trust accounts be viewed here: https://nufctrust.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/NUSS-Final-accs-31.08.2021-SCAL-signed.pdf

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

No, Hurst just gives off the air of middle-class Tory grifter, who’s tiresome self-aggrandising bullshit was the genesis for ‘The Pledge’, the intention of which was never anything more than buying him ‘influence’ at the club.  A posh school Steve Wraith.  He’s got zero interest in being an ‘independent’ voice - he’d love nothing more than the club embracing him and asking him for his ideas on running things.  Like his proposal that season ticket prices should go up in the poorest region of Britain, just like a good little Tory with zero shits given to the average punter.

I admire groups like Wor Flags as they improve the match day experience for others and give their time willingly to do so.  TF having four members of the ‘independent’ board of the ST speaks volumes about their characters.  Absolutely fucking shameless. 

Even if all that is true (I don’t know Alex Hurst from Adam, nor do I pay much attention to TF) I don’t think that means you’re allowed to go around accusing him of misappropriating money meant for charity. Some of the stuff posted in this thread is actionable. 

6 hours ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Some right sad cunts knocking about. Withdraw your membership and let them crack on if you don't want to support them :thup:

The only post @Greg managed to interact with, despite loads of helpful suggestions in others.

“Join the Trust, or you’re not allowed a voice.”

“Have a voice? Email us discreetly.”

“Actually, we don’t like your voice as it’s not what we want to do, fuck off”.

@LFEEAnd this is the response from the Trust, not sure how this lends well with your “get involved if you want to change/support it” mantra.

I thought the Board were there to act on behalf of their membership, rather than their own thoughts. 

21 minutes ago, christ said:

Nobody is seriously saying there is anything underhand with it, more the ridiculousness the inability to progress with it.

2 minutes ago, christ said:

Even if all that is true (I don’t know Alex Hurst from Adam, nor do I pay much attention to TF) I don’t think that means you’re allowed to go around accusing him of misappropriating money meant for charity. Some of the stuff posted in this thread is actionable. 

I haven’t accused him of impropriety- nor do I think it is likely at all.  I agree folks on here should be careful in terms of what they write.  I just think he - and some of his pals - are raging attention-seekers, and some of their views are liable to hurt rather than help the support.  No issue with them spouting shite on their podcasts nor in Hurst’s bought and paid for fanzine - I just think they’re no different to Wraith, Burnsey or any other ‘professional’ fan. 

3 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

The only post @Greg managed to interact with, despite loads of helpful suggestions in others.

“Join the Trust, or you’re not allowed a voice.”

“Have a voice? Email us discreetly.”

“Actually, we don’t like your voice as it’s not what we want to do, fuck off”.

@LFEEAnd this is the response from the Trust, not sure how this lends well with your “get involved if you want to change/support it” mantra.

I thought the Board were there to act on behalf of their membership, rather than their own thoughts. 

You might have had a valid point here if this was the NUST forum - which it isn't. Board members don't spend their limited amount of time in their volunteer role scanning and reading message boards and social media.

Get in contact with the Board via the proper channels like most reasonable people do.

1 minute ago, Greg said:

You might have had a valid point here if this was the NUST forum - which it isn't. Board members don't spend their limited amount of time in their volunteer role scanning and reading message boards and social media.

Get in contact with the Board via the proper channels like most reasonable people do.

Only a few posts ago you were providing me with your Trust email address, telling me to contact you and the Trust via that.

1 minute ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Only a few posts ago you were providing me with your Trust email address, telling me to contact you and the Trust via that.

Yes. More than happy for you or anyone to contact me or the Board through the proper channels (which isn’t on an unrelated internet message board where a lot of people are anonymous).

6 minutes ago, Greg said:

Yes. More than happy for you or anyone to contact me or the Board through the proper channels (which isn’t on an unrelated internet message board where a lot of people are anonymous).

I must have missed the memo where it was shared that you can only contact the Trust via email and speaking directly to a Trust Board member means it’s ignored.

Maybe that was another update shared by email. 

Edited by Fantail Breeze

17 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

I must have missed the memo where it was shared that you can only contact the Trust via email and speaking directly to a Trust Board member means it’s ignored.

Maybe that was another update shared by email. 

You're posting anonymously on an internet message board, what do you expect? If anyone reaches out to me via DM or similarly via social media will always try and help and engage but if it's anything of substance that also needs other members of Board to be aware or involved then we will always suggest an email or a call. 

I post here as myself not as NUST - as I have done for about 24 years. Obviously there is an association here and I'll try and respond on here if I happen to be online and the conversation is relatively straightforward and reasonable

If you bought something online at Argos and weren't happy with it would you contact Argos via the correct channels or just rant in the materialism thread in the Chat section if you knew an Arogs employee also posted on NO?

That's the end of my interaction with you on here on this. Feel free to contact me or any of the Board via email if you wish to discuss anything to do with the Trust.

Edited by Greg

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

I agree 4 TF contributors not a good look if that’s the case but I dare say you could flip it and say it’s 4 passionate fans. A maximum tenure limit might be something they should look at.

A ST isn’t really there to organise protests TBF. IIRC the NUST was only resurrected in the last few years after some strange goings on led to its initial demise. The people involved now are completely different to when it was originally formed and ran into the ground. During the SP and AO campaigns I don’t really recall any NUST presence.

Dislike them all you want but Liverpool and it’s fans looked to of shown the way again in its strength of unity.

The reason SP and AO were so successful was because they were totally anonymous and not vehicles for the likes of Wraith and Hurst to get attention from.

No surprise that Wraith wasn't a fan of it as he was jealous of it's success, just like the original Gallowgate Flags.  Wasn't he the daffy who was going to ring the coppers on them?

Just now, Sima said:

The reason SP and AO were so successful was because they were totally anonymous and not vehicles for the likes of Wraith and Hurst to get attention from.

No surprise that Wraith wasn't a fan of it as he was jealous of it's success, just like the original Gallowgate Flags.  Wasn't he the daffy who was going to ring the coppers on them?

That was Mick Martin re the proposed Tiote flag.  Which again reflected this weird sense of ‘ownership’ of what others can and can’t do