Is boycotting ultimately the only way to force Ashley out eventually?

Guest neesy111

There's no way to force him out. He knows the fans despise him but he's still here.

Theoretically, if it was possible to reduce the gates to about 5000 for the rest of the season, we might get somewhere. (But then the players would be affected and we'd probably not go up anyway.)

I'd say some of those players you mention are the reason why we went down in the first place.

Course they are, I never suggested otherwise. We still need them to get us back up.

What so we can come straight back down again?

Some fans are more bothered about how it will look to other supporters in terms of attendances than doing it to help the club long term.

The guy is cancer, he needs cutting out!

Eh? I'm not sure what you're arguing with me about here.

Obviously we want to go up don't we? Even if we do go straight down again. I'm not saying I love the players, but I want them to win games and do well obviously. I'm confused.

Successful protests do work, but they have to be pretty 'large scale' (like the Lpool one), well organised and we've got to keep at it / persevere (don't give up)

When we protested against Ashley back under the Keegan fiasco, it was only a one-off event, although there was a canny number, nothing else happened after that, and the pressure was on our side because of the charvs appearing on SSN and the mis-spelt banners etc.

If we do it say every home game, and get the media/PR on our side, it will eventually mount pressure on him/them.

We need to turn up the anti!

It will also unsettle the players.

Guest WashyGeordie

Successful protests do work, but they have to be pretty 'large scale' (like the Lpool one), well organised and we've got to keep at it / persevere (don't give up)

When we protested against Ashley back under the Keegan fiasco, it was only a one-off event, although there was a canny number, nothing else happened after that, and the pressure was on our side because of the charvs appearing on SSN and the mis-spelt banners etc.

If we do it say every home game, and get the media/PR on our side, it will eventually mount pressure on him/them.

Pre-match?

Guest neesy111

Boycott

= less revenue from less attractive commercial deals

= less money to spend to cover expenditure

= more player sales to cover the shortfall

= worse team

= less chance of promotion

= less chance to get the price he wants to f*** off

= he's even less likely to sell it

I think the everything must go sale in January will see to that one..

If that's what happens you're right. 

I can't see any way a boycott organised now is going to get rid of him in the next 9 weeks before the transfer window opens if that is his intention.

didn't we say wait till after the transfer window last season, and look what happened....

I'm not sure what your point is tbh, in terms of anything I've said being wrong.

Do you think he could be forced out within 9 weeks?

i'm referring to what happened last season, about waiting till after the transfer window to see if any players would be bought

I've never really bought into that. They know the abuse isn't directed at them and they're not so precious as to get a bit upset when someone in the stand calls the man who owns the club a nasty name.

The poor performances last season weren't because of the protests, but because of shit management.

Boycott

= less revenue from less attractive commercial deals

= less money to spend to cover expenditure

= more player sales to cover the shortfall

= worse team

= less chance of promotion

= less chance to get the price he wants to f*** off

= he's even less likely to sell it

I think the everything must go sale in January will see to that one..

If that's what happens you're right. 

I can't see any way a boycott organised now is going to get rid of him in the next 9 weeks before the transfer window opens if that is his intention.

didn't we say wait till after the transfer window last season, and look what happened....

I'm not sure what your point is tbh, in terms of anything I've said being wrong.

i'm referring to what happened last season, about waiting till after the transfer window to see if any players would be bought

There isn't anything can be done about that now though is there?

Just because it wasn't done then, it doesn't automatically mean it should be done now.

Do you think he could be forced out by a boycott within 9 weeks before the transfer window opens?

There's no way to force him out. He knows the fans despise him but he's still here.

Theoretically, if it was possible to reduce the gates to about 5000 for the rest of the season, we might get somewhere. (But then the players would be affected and we'd probably not go up anyway.)

I'd say some of those players you mention are the reason why we went down in the first place.

Course they are, I never suggested otherwise. We still need them to get us back up.

Some fans are more bothered about how it will look to other supporters in terms of attendances than doing it to help the club long term.

Obviously we want to go up don't we? Even if we do go straight down again. I'm not saying I love the players, but I want them to win games and do well obviously. I'm confused.

Not arguing with you personally but I can't see how you'd think going up with the track record of Ashley is a step in the right direction?

He's going to ask a huge amount for us if we do go up, and nobody will want to touch us. Add to that his reluctance to invest in the squad and we are ripe for going down again.

I know you want us to do well, we all do! But  he will not get us any further than being a yoyo club.

Guest neesy111

I've never really bought into that. They know the abuse isn't directed at them and they're not so precious as to get a bit upset when someone in the stand calls the man who owns the club a nasty name.

The poor performances last season weren't because of the protests, but because of shit management.

hit the nail on the head there, if fan's believe that players performance's are affected by protests etc

players should not care about what's happening off the pitch, because they are locked in a world that's so far away from what is happening

Ashley will only leave when someone pays him the money he wants,to leave.

boycoptting protests, he could not care less about them. They will not work, they never have.

The only hope is someone will come along and meet Ashley's asking price.

Guest neesy111

Not arguing with you personally but I can't see how you'd think going up with the track record of Ashley is a step in the right direction?

He's going to ask a huge amount for us if we do go up, and nobody will want to touch us. Add to that his reluctance to invest in the squad and we are ripe for going down again.

I know you want us to do well, we all do! But  he will not get us any further than being a yoyo club.

my feelings exactly

And shit players.

there's more to following a club than just going to games, when many fan's can't attend games due to work commitments, distance etc, does that make anyless of a supporter, nope

so does someone boycotting cos they can see their club being ripped apart by a buffoon, make them anyless of a supporter, nope

i'm one of these now, i was aiming to make 10 home games a season, now i've attended 1 game and that's it for me, got better things to do with my money

While you deserve to be knighted for your incredible resolve, here in the real world we have about 25000 people who have paid huge amounts on season tickets who(like me) simply cant afford to piss so much money away undefinately.

roger, i didn't know u had a 3 year plan

i'm for those who buy on a match by match basis, could they not boycott 1 game for example

people aren't going to miss matches when they've already paid for their season tickets,  the boycott needs to happen if we get a home tie in the 3rd round of the FA cup, regardless if we get Manchester Unite or Mansfield.

There's meant to have been a boycott of all merchandise/food etc for over a year,  started by the NUSC but ridiculed and slated on here and only seemed to last about 2 games before people were back at the ground having pints and pies etc.

Guest WashyGeordie

boycoptting protests, he could not care less about them. They will not work, they never have.

Which hasn't, and won't happen soon.

And shit players.

And physios

Boycotting, protests etc. are not going to get the club sold by themselves, no one thinks that. They do however go some way to helping push Ashley out of the door and into the arms of a potential buyer.

The main problem with previous protests is that they've stopped too soon. After the Hull game when he announced his intention to sell for a ridiculous sum we sat on our hands in the belief any further action could rock the boat. In fact further action probably would've helped push through any potential sale.

I do actually cause the wheels were already in motion with certain buyers. All it takes is a big enough protest so that he thinks this isn't worth my while and accepts an offer like the £60m plus £20m at the start of next season. Offers are there he just has to be made to accept one.

Guest neesy111

Boycotting, protests etc. are not going to get the club sold by themselves, no one thinks that. They do however go some way to helping push Ashley out of the door and into the arms of a potential buyer.

The main problem with previous protests is that they've stopped too soon. After the Hull game when he announced his intention to sell for a ridiculous sum we sat on our hands in the belief any further action could rock the boat. In fact further action probably would've helped push through any potential sale.

that's true, i just want to see something happening against ashley, this will show that we care about the club, i just can't sit back on my arse and see this club rot, and let him think that we can't do anything about it

what needs to happen is a concerted effort via different means, i.e. protests, banners, boycotting

all of them will be small in their impact but together could have a large meaning

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_5657120,00.html

Tension on the Tyne

Newcastle fans vent their spleen at the antics of Ashley

As a self-made multi-millionaire businessman, you would think that Mike Ashley would have a strong grasp on the mechanics of public relations.

Money in the bank is all well and good, but keeping 'customers' happy is integral to any hope of further success in the future.

It therefore comes as some surprise to read Ashley's latest plans for Newcastle United.

Visit any home game on Tyneside this term, or last for that matter, and you get a pretty clear sense that Ashley is public enemy No. 1 at St James' Park.

Apparently, though, the Sports Direct mogul appears to think that a one-fingered salute and a barrage of four-letter profanities is a sign of endearment.

Why else would he have come to the incredible conclusion that retaining his stranglehold on the Magpies is best for all concerned?

Ashley has spent the best part of 18 months trying to shift the club, dropping his asking price in a manner more befitting of a second hand car salesman than the owner of a professional football club.

There have been a few tentative bites on the line he has cast but he has found few parties willing to match his £100million valuation of a struggling Premier League, and now Championship, side.

There is something to be said for sticking to your guns, but in this situation his stubbornness is causing nothing but anger and frustration to those tired of following the Newcastle circus around the country.

Many of the Toon Army would happily sell their own grandmother if they thought they could get enough for her to buy Ashley out, but the truth is that raising funds in the midst of an ongoing recession is not easy.

Unfortunately for Magpies fans, the cash crisis gripping the global economy appears set to leave them unable to awake from their Ashley-dominated nightmare.

He has come out and said that he now has no intention of selling the club and is happy to stay put and attempt to build bridges with those he has alienated.

This appears to be the most wishful of wishful thinking if comments to skysports.com from Newcastle fans are anything to go by.

Joke

"Quite simply a joke, a joke manager, a joke owner, and the only thing that is not a joke is the mess we are in. How on earth can't people see past this situation?" Magpies supporter Craig Buglass sums up the feeling on Tyneside.

But, things get worse.

As if Ashley's announcement that he has unpacked his bags and is now set to stay did not cause enough unrest, the revelation that he is now looking to sell off naming rights for St James' Park has proven to the final straw for many.

Newcastle have played their home games at the iconic ground since 1892 and it is one of the most recognisable venues in the country.

For Ashley to even contemplate devaluing its heritage by plastering advertising eye sores and neon lights all over it has a number of Magpies followers on the verge of spontaneous combustion.

"If Ashley re-names St. James' Park it will show an absolute disregard to the history and the fans of the club. I know that the modern world is all about money especially to businessmen like Ashley but there are things that are taboo and this is one of them, leave well alone Mr. Ashley." - Alan Rowe.

"Rename St James' Park? After all of the major errors that Ashley has already made, for me, this is the most unforgiveable. I know it doesn't make any difference to what is happening on the pitch with the team etc... but our 'home' will always be known to fans as St James' Park. This guy just seems to make error after error after error and continues to plumb new depths." - Ross Patterson.

"Renaming the stadium is absolutely disgusting. It will totally diminish from the history of the club that makes it what it is. I am in absolute shock and I think the majority of Newcastle fans will be as well. Ashley has not had the best of times at Newcastle and I think this is just going to add to the already bad relationship between himself and the supporters." - Rory Davies.

They - whoever 'they' may be - say things often come in threes and the Ashley saga is no different.

To add to the decision to fly in the face of adversity and retain his post as club owner, and the questionable naming rights proposal for St James' Park, Ashley has also opted to take the easy, and cheaper, option when it comes to resolving the managerial situation at Newcastle.

The club have been without a full-time boss since Kevin Keegan's acrimonious departure in September 2008, with Joe Kinnear, Alan Shearer and Chris Hughton taking the reigns on an interim basis.

Supporters had hoped that the delay caused by on-field troubles, which ultimately resulted in relegation out of the Premier League, would eventually make way for a big-name appointment.

Coach

Unfortunately, those dreams have been dashed by the decision to hand Hughton the post on a permanent basis.

Few are doubting the coaching credentials of the affable Londoner, but he has no prior experience of such a role and the feeling around Tyneside is that he is not the answer to the many questions which have been raised over recent years.

He should have enough quality at his disposal to lead the Magpies back into the big-time this season, but there is a feeling that he will soon fall the same way as many of his predecessors as soon as Newcastle reacquaint themselves with the Premier League.

"I thank Chris Hughton for the job well done so far but don't think he can cut it in the Premiership." - Mark Conroy.

"He (Ashley) has now appointed Houghton as manager, he is not a manager, he is a coach. The team is not playing good football and he is picking the wrong players for me. We need someone quick up front but we haven't got anyone so we just knocking it long for Carroll, Ranger or Harewood. He should have appointed Shearer at end of last season backed him with the few players he wanted and I am sure we would of been running away with this league, not dropping points against poor teams" - James Raine.

"No, no, no, no........... Hughton as manager now, no! If he kept up a good job and was still top half by halfway through the season, maybe then Hughton for manager. I fear for him. And as for Ashley staying, is the £20million to keep the supporters happy? Where did he get that from? I know so many supporters who won't step foot in the ground as long as he is there, and I'm sure there are many more that feel this way! And please Ashley for your own sake don't rename St. James Park!! The rest of this season could make or seriously break Newcastle United." - Richie Cange.

All in all, Newcastle's hopes that time spent away from the glare of the top flight would enable them to establish some stability, get their house in order and return better prepared for the task in hand have come unstuck in spectacular fashion.

The Magpies are incapable of avoiding mass hysteria, which is detrimental to performances on the field, alienates the fans and generally tarnishes the image of a once great club.

It is difficult to see where they go from here. With Ashley seemingly going nowhere any time soon, the undercurrent of discontent will linger on and problems will continue to arise.

Promotion may paper over a few cracks, but rips will inevitably appear as soon as something goes wrong and the club's long-suffering supporters will be right back at square one.

I for one do not envy them and the circumstances they are forced to deal with, and I think it is fair to say that the majority of neutral fans across the country take one look at the ongoing troubles and think to themselves that as bad as things may be at their own club, at least they are not Newcastle.

The poor performances last season weren't because of the protests, but because of s*** management.

hit the nail on the head there, if fan's believe that players performance's are affected by protests etc

players should not care about what's happening off the pitch, because they are locked in a world that's so far away from what is happening

So we lost to hull last season purely because Hughton somehow managed to get all the players to completely disregard everything theyd learn from keegan for months and months? no

Negativity of any form will affect the players ofcourse and it will also affect the fans. The fans that go to these protests will then enjoy voicing their opinions so strongly and that mentality will spread, these same people will then end up voicing these same opinions at the games regardless of all the good intent "support the lads always" talk. Hughton will be seen as standing beside Ashley, so he will get booed with the slightest hint of things going wrong...certain people will also be far more ready to jump on the players than they would usually.

Its naive as hell to think the players wouldnt be affected by protests.

The poor performances last season weren't because of the protests, but because of s*** management.

And s*** players.

And physios

It definatley effects them otherwise why would they constantly come out talking about it, if it didnt bother them they'd say nowt.

So we lost to hull last season purely because Hughton somehow managed to get all the players to completely disregard everything theyd learn from keegan for months and months? no

Negativity of any form will affect the players ofcourse and it will also affect the fans. The fans that go to these protests will then enjoy voicing their opinions so strongly and that mentality will spread, these same people will then end up voicing these same opinions at the games regardless of all the good intent "support the lads always" talk. Hughton will be seen as standing beside Ashley, so he will get booed with the slightest hint of things going wrong...certain people will also be far more ready to jump on the players than they would usually.

Its naive as hell to think the players wouldnt be affected by protests.

It's even more naive to believe that one protest effectively got us relegated, which was an idea being peddled on here not too long ago.

It didnt help but it was worth it at the time. There was the hope that it would force action & Ashley did try to get Keegan back in his own moronic way.

At this point the guy is so far past caring about getting any form of positive response from the fans that i doubt he's even aware its possible anymore. He is purely looking out for himself & the only things you can really do to make him take any notice will also likely have a negative effect on our season.

As i've said earlier it's no longer about making him realise we don't like him, it's about making his tenure here as uncomfortable as possible.

I for one am not willing to do nothing for fear it might have a slightly negative effect on the team because I simply don't buy into that school of thought. For the greater good of the club he needs outing ASAP and if protests/boycotts etc. will help that then i'm all for it.

I think its more a case that you're desperate to do something regardless of the consequences because you dont like the lack of control we have over the situation.

Protests arent going to make the guy uncomfortable, at best you'll have him avoiding matches. He'll hardly be devastated, the potential consequences to our season far outweigh him being a little more annoyed. He will sell either way when someone stumps up enough money, no one has. He isnt going to be willing to drop the asking price by another 20 mill like moat wants just because hes having to miss a few games.