Can't handle this

Mowen

Bit controversial I guess but felt like I needed to make this thread.

I can't take this anymore - and I don't mean from the club. The reactions to us losing some games on here have been f***ing pathetic of late in my opinion. No, I'm not happy and I'd rather be winning, but football doesn't work like that - you don't win every week.

Would you take the same attitude if we go down again, and again, and start losing to teams in dager of going out of the league ?

P*ss-poor performances from players on premier league wages ?

Look at Liverpool fans - everytime they lose a couple of games, the demands start, and the make clear they will not stand for this.

Here ? Anyone saying the same is ranted at.

Eat your gruel and don't complain

Jesus.....

I can't take this anymore - and I don't mean from the club. The reactions to us losing some games on here have been f***ing pathetic of late in my opinion. No, I'm not happy and I'd rather be winning, but football doesn't work like that - you don't win every week.

Would you take the same attitude if we go down again, and again, and start losing to teams in dager of going out of the league ?

Look at Liverpool fans - everytime they lose a couple of games, the demands start, and the make clear they will not stand for this.

Jesus.....

Missed the point of what I was saying I think, I did say I wasn't sure how well I'd expressed it. I'm very annoyed we're losing but we don't have any divine right to do any better, and I've read a huge number of comments and opinions (not just on the site) that seemed to think we did. When have the demands of the Liverpool fans improved things for that club incidentally? As a set of fans we've made it pretty clear how upset we are with fat mike.

Losing is part of sport though, it happens. Anyone who can't deal with it is pretty pathetic imo. We were lucky to enjoy the great run we had and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm desperate for us to get back up there but we don't 'deserve' it. We have no right to it.

Jesus.....

Missed the point of what I was saying I think, I did say I wasn't sure how well I'd expressed it. I'm very annoyed we're losing but we don't have any divine right to do any better, and I've read a huge number of comments that seemed to think we did. When have the demands of the Liverpool fans improved things for that club incidentally?

Losing is part of sport though, it happens. Anyone who can't deal with it is pretty pathetic imo. We were lucky to enjoy the great run we had and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm desperate for us to get back up there but we don't 'deserve' it. We have no right to it.

Reaction and ranting is part of sport as well though.

We have a right to be upset and the majority of the time on this forum, those anger-fuelled rants are often the best.

Whether we lost 1 game or 6, we shouldn't just sit back and take it - "Oh well you have to lose sometime", especially when if we'd picked our games up, we could be 4 or so points clear now.

You accept sh*t without complaint, then your diet will be sh*t - IF YOU'RE LUCKY

No one said we "deserve success" - don't fall into that tripe the rival fans throw at us - we EXPECT people on hefty wages - PREMIER wages - to be able to deal well with so-called players who never got to (supposedly) their level. The toothless crap we got from the players in the last 4 games has been shameful.

We have every right to be angry and complain.

Its time Hughton started to talk a bit louder. Read the right act in fact to those not doing it, in fact.

You accept sh*t without complaint, then your diet will be sh*t - IF YOU'RE LUCKY

No one said we "deserve success" - don't fall into that tripe the rival fans throw at us - we EXPECT people on hefty wages - PREMIER wages - to be able to deal well with so-called players who never got to (supposedly) their level. The toothless crap we got from the players in the last 4 games has been shameful.

Its time Hughton started to talk a bit louder. Read the right act in fact to those not doing it, in fact.

I have complained about it, I've said as much. We aren't good enough at the moment and it's frustrating. There's a difference between what I've been posting about and just accepting rubbish. What I've said is nothing to do with what the rival fans say, I've been disputing this with them for years on end, it's entirely based on my empirical evidence of this place and at games over the last month or so.

I don't expect our players to become good just because they're overpaid either. I'd like them to, but I know they're shit having watched them many times, I don't expect the shitehawks to pull out performances they're not capable of given that 2 of our 3 most important players are out injured.

My interpretation of the reactions to the last few weeks is that a lot of folk think we shouldn't be in this league. We should, we weren't good enough last year and we deserved to go down. This club has spent a lot of time in the second tier over its history and we just have to live with being there now. We have no right to be in the prem and people saying this is the death of the club as reaction to losing two championship teams in a row want their heads looking at.

I think a major factor is that a lot of people are only really starting to come to terms with the fact we went down now. When we were winning every game it was just a bit of a laugh, now we aren't reality is starting to bite.

Absolute top post and written by someone who is a real supporter.

Unfortunately a forum by it's very definition allows anyone in to spout and rant as they please, but this forum has been particularly hysterical of late.

As you say football is no precise science and we have no right to win football matches because of our name, status or "wage bill".

In many cases the same people who were saying we'd go straight down before the season started are now wailing because we're only joint top by a narrow margin  :kasper:

Some criticise our squad strength in one post then say we should walk the league because of our wage bill in the next !

This league certainly isn't the Premier but to hear laughable comments comparing opposition teams to "pub teams" shows the writers have never played football at any standard themselves. All Championship teams are made up of well paid professional footballers who have come through the ranks. To think they'll lie down because they're playing against "big club" Newcastle is ridiculous.

We also have to realise that a Newcastle forum is a perfect place for agitators and people with an agenda against us to work. 

There are posters on here who tactically put the knife into the club and it's fans at every opportunity while trying to masqerade as Newcastle supporters. That way they think it's even more effective.

There are posters on here who have NEVER written anything positive and even a resounding win will be dismissed because the opposition was "s***". They write rubbish about players hoping that we'll turn on them. They support other clubs and are best ignored.

Wow!  Talk about paranoia!!  You need to see a shrink if you think other fans would really do this!

Maybe ?

I still think it is the case - a small number of course - and just to crank up the paranoia theory up it happens amongst certain members of the press too, constantly digging at Newcastle at every oppportunity.

You cant deny that certain "fans" on here, only ever make snidey and negative posts whatever the results. A forum is their perfect platform.

Not saying there is no negativity in town but I find "real" discussions about the club in and around Newcastle a lot less negative than the tone of this forum.

Fortunately most on here are true Newcastle fans who know we need to get promoted quickly and will do their bit by supporting the team through thick and thin.

I have complained about it, I've said as much. We aren't good enough at the moment and it's frustrating. There's a difference between what I've been posting about and just accepting rubbish. What I've said is nothing to do with what the rival fans say, I've been disputing this with them for years on end, it's entirely based on my empirical evidence of this place and at games over the last month or so.

I don't expect our players to become good just because they're overpaid either. I'd like them to, but I know they're shit having watched them many times, I don't expect the shitehawks to pull out performances they're not capable of given that 2 of our 3 most important players are out injured.

My interpretation of the reactions to the last few weeks is that a lot of folk think we shouldn't be in this league. We should, we weren't good enough last year and we deserved to go down. This club has spent a lot of time in the second tier over its history and we just have to live with being there now. We have no right to be in the prem and people saying this is the death of the club as reaction to losing two championship teams in a row want their heads looking at.

I think a major factor is that a lot of people are only really starting to come to terms with the fact we went down now. When we were winning every game it was just a bit of a laugh, now we aren't reality is starting to bite.

Nailed it.

My interpretation of the reactions to the last few weeks is that a lot of folk think we shouldn't be in this league. We should, we weren't good enough last year and we deserved to go down.

But every MAJOR club in the last 30 years or so (not counting Notts Forest, because they achieved WAAAAYY beyond their set up, hardly making them a "big" club) tend to have the impression they "shouldn't be there" and generally they do jump back first time of asking. Man City was one of the few exceptions. They are a major club.

I agree that wholesale changes would be ridiculous and counter productive.

We need Shola back. Carrol and Harewood and Lovely pants are thud and blunder, more likely to hit the corner flag.

My interpretation of the reactions to the last few weeks is that a lot of folk think we shouldn't be in this league. We should, we weren't good enough last year and we deserved to go down.

But every MAJOR club in the last 30 years or so (not counting Notts Forest, because they achieved WAAAAYY beyond their set up, hardly making them a "big" club) tend to have the impression they "shouldn't be there" and generally they do jump back first time of asking. Man City was one of the few exceptions. They are a major club.

I agree that wholesale changes would be ridiculous and counter productive.

We need Shola back. Carrol and Harewood and Lovely pants are thud and blunder, more likely to hit the corner flag.

Leeds didn't jump straight back, it took West Ham two seasons. The Sheffields' could be counted as big clubs too. I think assuming you shouldn't be there is a dangerous attitude to have and can lead to complacency, it also betrays an unhealth arrogance.

BTW I fully agree we need Shola back, but how depressing is it that a player who has been so shit for so long is now our saviour? :lol:

Things won't change just because Shola is back.  If he is better than our other strikers its only marginally.  It's not like we've been creating chance after chance only to have our strikers mess up and Shola won't be able to fashion chances out of nothing. 

Things won't change just because Shola is back.  If he is better than our other strikers its only marginally.  It's not like we've been creating chance after chance only to have our strikers mess up and Shola won't be able to fashion chances out of nothing. 

Its a sad indictment of the quality of the rest of our strikers that Ameobi is our second highest top scorer and a midfielder is top.

Its a sad indictment of the quality of the rest of our strikers that Ameobi is our second highest top scorer and a midfielder is top.

I agree.  Doesn't we'll suddenly start winning when his name is on the teamsheet though, the problems are deeper than that.

All I see is an underperforming team that is capable of winning this league. We aren't doing that at the moment, that's a problem. We need to solve that problem.

It's nothing to do with us being too big for this league, about being bitter about relegation or being a fickle bastard.

I've seen enough in this past four games to suggest that if we'd simply pulled our fingers out, we'd have won the games and be 10 or whatever points clear at the top. We weren't outclassed in any of the games, not at all. We didn't win because we couldn't take chances/couldn't create them.

I don't care about what happened last season, it's come and gone now. We deserved to go down, but let's not fanny about here for too long.

FWIW, fan pages of sports teams can be incredibly depressing unless things are going really, really well.  In 2004, a fan website devoted to the UConn Mens NCAA basketball team gained notoriety in the press because of the vitriol and negativity about the team in general and one player in particular.  The team wasn't playing bad but fans on the site were still disappointed for whatever reason and it got really nasty, almost to the point of embrassment.  That team went on to win the national championship, it's second one in 5 years.  That site has never been the same.  What was once a genuine community never recovered and although still in use, is a shadow of what it once was.

It's not just that site.  I frequent a number of fan sites and they are all pretty much the same.  Even when thing are going well, a gameday thread could be a cesspool of negativity.  This player sucks, that one be shipped off.  The manager is shit and anyone who likes that guy is an asshole.  Honestly, if your not having fun rooting for your team, if it sucks so much that you feel compelled to constantly complain...why do you bother watching?

It's OK to complain.  It's OK to be disappointed.  It's even OK to be outraged with the travesty of the teams we have to watch at times.  But it its one thing to be disappointed or pissed off but its another to be contatly harping about this and complaining about that.  Shut up already and suck it up.  We get it.  Do us all a favor and try being a good fan and look at the positive and root for the team.  I swear, some people seem to take great joy in seeing their team go down in flames.

It sucks for me because I've only been able to see a few games here in the states and even though the club is in a promotion spot right now, almost all the posts are negative.  I've seen people ragging on Nolan and then he scores a goal and for a few minutes all is right with the world.  We know that Ashley has fucked the club over.  We know that Hughton is a weak manager.  We know that the squad is thin, has some injuries and has some players that aren't very good.  Can we just get past all that?  Does it have to be posted over and over and over?  try looking at the positives.  They are there if you want to see them.  They really are.

FWIW, fan pages of sports teams can be incredibly depressing unless things are going really, really well.  In 2004, a fan website devoted to the UConn Mens NCAA basketball team gained notoriety in the press because of the vitriol and negativity about the team in general and one player in particular.  The team wasn't playing bad but fans on the site were still disappointed for whatever reason and it got really nasty, almost to the point of embrassment.  That team went on to win the national championship, it's second one in 5 years.  That site has never been the same.  What was once a genuine community never recovered and although still in use, is a shadow of what it once was.

It's not just that site.  I frequent a number of fan sites and they are all pretty much the same.  Even when thing are going well, a gameday thread could be a cesspool of negativity.  This player sucks, that one be shipped off.  The manager is s*** and anyone who likes that guy is an asshole.  Honestly, if your not having fun rooting for your team, if it sucks so much that you feel compelled to constantly complain...why do you bother watching?

It's OK to complain.  It's OK to be disappointed.  It's even OK to be outraged with the travesty of the teams we have to watch at times.  But it its one thing to be disappointed or pissed off but its another to be contatly harping about this and complaining about that.  Shut up already and suck it up.  We get it.  Do us all a favor and try being a good fan and look at the positive and root for the team.  I swear, some people seem to take great joy in seeing their team go down in flames.

It sucks for me because I've only been able to see a few games here in the states and even though the club is in a promotion spot right now, almost all the posts are negative.  I've seen people ragging on Nolan and then he scores a goal and for a few minutes all is right with the world.  We know that Ashley has f***ed the club over.  We know that Hughton is a weak manager.  We know that the squad is thin, has some injuries and has some players that aren't very good.  Can we just get past all that?  Does it have to be posted over and over and over?  try looking at the positives.  They are there if you want to see them.  They really are.

Thanks for a very refreshing and articulate view from the other side of the pond.

I'm here in Newcastle and I totally agree with you.

TBH I think there's a lot wrong with the OP. Anyone with any foresight could have seen this bad patch of results coming. You know what, without wanting to sound condesending, but a club of our size should be expecting better results than we have seen lately and we as fans have every right to expect better.

As for Hughton, point me in the direction of any post I have made that has been supportive of his management and I'm sure I'm not alone here, most of the less emotionally inbalanced of us has been saying all along he's not up to the job, we just weren't fooled by the early good results.

A slightly salient point I guess but it's all about how the current position has been achieved. If you'd been gradually climbing (albeit with a worse first few games than what happened) the table and then sit in 2nd, Hughton would be lauded. Now that a great advantage at the top has been thrown away, he's a villain. Some of the reactions I've seen have been OTT imo but the meaning behind them isn't surprising.

A slightly salient point I guess but it's all about how the current position has been achieved. If you'd been gradually climbing (albeit with a worse first few games than what happened) the table and then sit in 2nd, Hughton would be lauded. Now that a great advantage at the top has been thrown away, he's a villain. Some of the reactions I've seen have been OTT imo but the meaning behind them isn't surprising.

Bang on.

A bit like leaving the ground after a draw where you've conceded a late equaliser as opposed to scoring a late equaliser.

Same result, different feeling.

I guess in the days before the Web, supporters would've just turned a blind eye to the shoddy performances of the few games.

Interesting point. It has to have made some sort of impact in terms of the way supporters exchange views about the team - not least in terms of broadening the audience beyond just the local press etc.

I guess in the days before the Web, supporters would've just turned a blind eye to the shoddy performances of the few games.

No, but it wasn't rehashed over and over like it can be on a website.  It's like the negativity feeds on itself.  I don't go to that basketball website much anymore and I have to say that I have enjoyed the games more since I stopped.   I don't go to any New York Jets message boards any more either.  Rooting for that team is hard enough.  It's like having a bad case of depression and then going to hang out with a group of people that are just as depressed.  It ain't gonna make you feel better.  I just think, for myself, that siezing whatever positive is going to be better.  and that doesn't mean the negatives have to be ignored, just that everything should be in a reasonable perspective.  I mean, when it comes down to it only one team can be champion and only one teams fans will enjoy that sweet victory.  The rest will be disappointed to some degree but still for most there will be some positives.  The question is: which is more important to enjoying rooting for your club?

No, but it wasn't rehashed over and over like it can be on a website.  It's like the negativity feeds on itself.  I don't go to that basketball website much anymore and I have to say that I have enjoyed the games more since I stopped.   I don't go to any New York Jets message boards any more either.  Rooting for that team is hard enough.  It's like having a bad case of depression and then going to hang out with a group of people that are just as depressed.  It ain't gonna make you feel better.  I just think, for myself, that siezing whatever positive is going to be better.  and that doesn't mean the negatives have to be ignored, just that everything should be in a reasonable perspective.  I mean, when it comes down to it only one team can be champion and only one teams fans will enjoy that sweet victory.  The rest will be disappointed to some degree but still for most there will be some positives.  The question is: which is more important to enjoying rooting for your club?

Just love that line. Sums up decades of following Newcastle.