Can't handle this

Mowen

I suppose when you are typing and not conversing,some people tend to be sensationalistic,if there is such a word,to get their point across,as with type speak,there isn't a way to express any emotion really.

The past few weeks have been particularly galling but nobody gets promoted in October..we will turn this MINOR blip around,I'm positive.

Oh and this place would be boring a fuck if we all just went along the lines of

"Oh well, we were poor there, but at least Nolan and Enrique played well. We're 2nd place, let hope we can win on Saturday"

It wouldn't be a discussion forum then. Just a boring place where we all came to say supportive things about the club.

Clearly missed my point tbh.

Oh and this place would be boring a f*** if we all just went along the lines of

"Oh well, we were poor there, but at least Nolan and Enrique played well. We're 2nd place, let hope we can win on Saturday"

It wouldn't be a discussion forum then. Just a boring place where we all came to say supportive things about the club.

You're saying that reactions have been too OTT. That comment is not being OTT.

Only a very small element of what I'm saying which contributes to the main point I was trying to get across. To be fair I clarified that I'd found it very hard to word to exactly portray how I felt.

Only a very small element of what I'm saying which contributes to the main point I was trying to get across. To be fair I clarified that I'd found it very hard to word to exactly portray how I felt.

I'm now incredibly confused after reading that :lol:

Bit controversial I guess but felt like I needed to make this thread.

I can't take this anymore - and I don't mean from the club. The reactions to us losing some games on here have been f***ing pathetic of late in my opinion. No, I'm not happy and I'd rather be winning, but football doesn't work like that - you don't win every week. The OTT reactions (I know most of them are knee-jerk, but even so) are just pathetic. Several people say they can't be bothered with it anymore because we lost to Scunthorpe; I don't want to come across Superfan here but you signed up to support the team, you f***ing support them whatever's going on.

Things like "this is pathetic, we shouldn't be losing to Scunthorpe". Why not? If they outplay us we should, that's how football works. Yes, we're all gutted with the damage Ashley has done to the club culminating in our relegation but football goes in cycles, everyone goes through lean years. Football is transient, nothing lasts forever and just because we've been better than a lot of teams in this division for a long time now doesn't mean we "should" be beating any of them, whatever that means. Part of the appeal of football is that it's constantly changing and you don't know what you'll get next. I think we might have been spoilt of late, my old man reckoned 16 years was the longest stint in the top flight he could remember.

The reaction to Hughton is one I find staggering. 5 games ago he was getting lauded for performing well above expectations and rightly so. Now it's changing and we've dropped a few points he's getting panned (even though I suspect not that many people would have expected us 2nd after 13 games with no investment and no change at the top). He's still the same bloke, out of his depth, doing his best the same way he has been all season: why have the attitudes changed so much? It seems as though we can't take losing.

No-one enjoys losing and it winds us all up, but reading some of the reactions to the inevitable dropping of points makes me understand why other fans sometimes get the impression that we feel we have a divine right to be in the top flight.

I don't think I've worded that anywhere near as well as I planned but the general point holds imo.

Agree 100 percent.  :thup:

I'm now incredibly confused after reading that :lol:

I've drunk a decent chunk of delicious red wine this evening.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

I think the mass hysteria on this forum of late may be directly linked to the rampant homosexuality of many posters.

:lol: You could well be right there...

Well given that it's taught in school these days, to be a homosexual according to Nick Griffin, I am not surprised.

GM, can you handle this? I don't think you can handle this.

Wullie can you handle this? I don't think you can handle this

I don't think im ready for some berrys my Hughton too bootylicious for ya

I can't take this anymore - and I don't mean from the club. The reactions to us losing some games on here have been f***ing pathetic of late in my opinion. No, I'm not happy and I'd rather be winning, but football doesn't work like that - you don't win every week. The OTT reactions (I know most of them are knee-jerk, but even so) are just pathetic. Several people say they can't be bothered with it anymore because we lost to Scunthorpe; I don't want to come across Superfan here but you signed up to support the team, you f***ing support them whatever's going on.

Things like "this is pathetic, we shouldn't be losing to Scunthorpe". Why not? If they outplay us we should, that's how football works. Yes, we're all gutted with the damage Ashley has done to the club culminating in our relegation but football goes in cycles, everyone goes through lean years. Football is transient, nothing lasts forever and just because we've been better than a lot of teams in this division for a long time now doesn't mean we "should" be beating any of them, whatever that means. Part of the appeal of football is that it's constantly changing and you don't know what you'll get next. I think we might have been spoilt of late, my old man reckoned 16 years was the longest stint in the top flight he could remember.

The reaction to Hughton is one I find staggering. 5 games ago he was getting lauded for performing well above expectations and rightly so. Now it's changing and we've dropped a few points he's getting panned (even though I suspect not that many people would have expected us 2nd after 13 games with no investment and no change at the top). He's still the same bloke, out of his depth, doing his best the same way he has been all season: why have the attitudes changed so much? It seems as though we can't take losing.

No-one enjoys losing and it winds us all up, but reading some of the reactions to the inevitable dropping of points makes me understand why other fans sometimes get the impression that we feel we have a divine right to be in the top flight.

I don't think I've worded that anywhere near as well as I planned but the general point holds imo.

I'm don't get too carried away either way by the football side of things but for me at the moment I'm not taking too much interest in the football as I simply find Ashley being in control too depressing. All I ask for as a football fan is hope and with Ashley in charge there is no hope!

Two things I would pick you up on is when you say football works in cycles, well it doesn't for Newcastle as we haven't won a domestic trophy since 1955 which is disgusting for a club the size of Newcastle. Few years back I read the book about Newcastle not winning anything for 50 years and it’s unbelievable how badly this club has been mismanaged over the years!

My last point is also related to your second point about whether we have been spoilt lately as we haven't been relegated for 16 years. You and other people on here should have more pride/confidence in the club/city, not being relegated is least we deserve! For the last 5 years we have been getting the 2nd/3rd largest crowd in the country! Is not being relegated now a barometer of success for the club? This is why I want Ashley out because of the negative influence he is having on the whole club including the fans! To see fan expectations being lowered to such a degree is nothing short of a travesty!

I agree with the sentiments of the original post but our loyalty (and I mean all of us) is to the club and it is hard to support a system which is failing the club I believe in.

I haven't given Hughton any stick simply because I expected this. I always maintained that his true test will come when the chips are down, when we lose a couple of games on the bounce, when we are hit by injuries. I always knew it'd be a hard task and I always doubted his ability to handle it. He's trying his best and doesn't deserve stick, but the situation is a joke. He is simply being caught in the cross-fire between fans who are seriously worried about their club and the man leading the club into oblivion.

Nobody is bigger than the club. It's all well and good being loyal to a manager but my loyalty will always lie with the club. I support Hughton who is trying his best but the situation as it stands is our club is in big trouble and what's happening to it is nothing short of a disgrace. The blame doesn't lie with Hughton I agree, but people have every right to feel angry at the situation the club is in.

I'm don't get too carried away either way by the football side of things but for me at the moment I'm not taking too much interest in the football as I simply find Ashley being in control too depressing. All I ask for as a football fan is hope and with Ashley in charge there is no hope!

Two things I would pick you up on is when you say football works in cycles, well it doesn't for Newcastle as we haven't won a domestic trophy since 1955 which is disgusting for a club the size of Newcastle. Few years back I read the book about Newcastle not winning anything for 50 years and it’s unbelievable how badly this club has been mismanaged over the years!

My last point is also related to your second point about whether we have been spoilt lately as we haven't been relegated for 16 years. You and other people on here should have more pride/confidence in the club/city, not being relegated is least we deserve! For the last 5 years we have been getting the 2nd/3rd largest crowd in the country! Is not being relegated now a barometer of success for the club? This is why I want Ashley out because of the negative influence he is having on the whole club including the fans! To see fan expectations being lowered to such a degree is nothing short of a travesty!

I agree totally with this, and I speak as one who was supporting the club long before most on here were born.

If those who moan about fans criticizing the club's lack of success could have heard the views of many old fans I met 40 years ago , they would have had a heart attack ! Many fans who were following the club in the 40s & 50s had dim views about the skills level in the side that had just won the Fairs Cup for goodness sake ; I found it surprising but I certainly wasn't shocked by it because they had undoubtedly been watching a great team and therefore were, in my opinion, well able to tell whether a side had real class or not and were entitled to their opinion.

Much of the essence of this thread is caused by the fact that there is now less tendency for people to have a mind of their own and politicians are responsible for this because they  ALL want to give the impression that the world/policies/countries are all the same- they do this because they don't want the voters questioning whether they should be making a better job of things...

In the football sense, this translates as ' everybody has a bad spell, so WE are due one and you all have to put up with it..' Never mind the fact that, as Macphisto says, the club has not won a domestic trophy for 44 years DESPITE being one of the best-supported in the UK since WW 2 ; never mind the fact that fortunes have been wasted on mediocre players, idiotic decisions made by useless directors and allegations of corruption that surrounded the club over the years...

No, people have a RIGHT and indeed a duty , to hold the club to account ; what gets me is that those who complain about 'disloyalty' etc are probably the first ones who would complain if they thought they were getting ripped off by a holiday company or car firm. The club has NO DIVINE RIGHT to expect its supporters to swallow all they dish up without complaint and the fact that it has gone so long WITHOUT making a real effort to run itself properly indicates that they are well aware that many fans will put up with rubbish, both on and off the field.

At the moment, the club is in a mess because of an owner who knows NOWT and players who basically couldn't give a stuff because they are totally isolated from the fans; in the 50s, Milburn & Co had to travel to the game on the bus with them sometimes, so they knew they'd get an earful if they hadn't done the business by at least trying hard. The current situation is the result of bad decisions by Shepherd & Co because the club would have been a magnet for many far wealthier people than Ashley IF it had been run properly...

In addition, I do believe that, crazy as it sounds, there is something in the words of Terry Mac after we blew the title in 96 - he believed that the club was 'cursed' and over the years, there is no doubt that some strange things have happened ; injuries to key players at crucial times(Shearer, Tony Green, even Geoff Allen, a great winger from the Fairs Cup days) etc etc as well as games like the Man U at SJP in 96 when we absolutely blew them away and lost ; the Blackburn & Liverpool away games that season...

OK, maybe just coincidence, but luck plays a  part in success - nevertheless, bad decisions have played their part.

Once Ashley goes, its time for the club to DELIVER ; they have failed for too many years and there are many fans who gave up on them years ago - we used to have  waiting list for Season tickets which was over 20,000 strong..........

There is a tendency among sports fans generally to voice opinions that are a bit extreme and led by emotion, but having said that this forum does have a wider range of opinion and a better quality of debate than the others that I'm aware of.

The negativity of our fans in general does bother me a bit though. I get the feeling that it's become a bigger problem since the failure of 1996. It's like there's an undercurrent of resentment and anger that's bubbling under the surface all the time. It has had an influence on how things have gone both on and off the field. The only relief we've had was when Sir Bob was in charge, and even he fell victim in the end.

There is a tendency among sports fans generally to voice opinions that are a bit extreme and led by emotion, but having said that this forum does have a wider range of opinion and a better quality of debate than the others that I'm aware of.

The negativity of our fans in general does bother me a bit though. I get the feeling that it's become a bigger problem since the failure of 1996. It's like there's an undercurrent of resentment and anger that's bubbling under the surface all the time. It has had an influence on how things have gone both on and off the field. The only relief we've had was when Sir Bob was in charge, and even he fell victim in the end.

You sound surprised by the negativity of fans. We have suffered appalling mismanagement, been insulted by two successive owners who have made a total pig's ear of the club, have seen a popular manager forced out and have recently seen our team relegated. Our owner is now recognised as one of the worst in the business (if not THE worst) and I doubt there is any set of fans in the land who envies our position right now. How exactly are people supposed to feel?

I think it's absurd to suggest Newcastle fans are spoilt. In all my time following the club I have seen nothing but false dawns, poor management, money squandered, players who didn't care, but there was always hope. Yes there were highs but to see the club languishing where it is when we know and have seen its potential is what hurts most. We weren't spoilt, we were just shown a glimpse of what could be achieved, and football fans live on hope. That's all we've ever had and our situation has never felt as hopeless as it does now.

I think the mass hysteria on this forum of late may be directly linked to the rampant homosexuality of many posters.

Well given that it's taught in school these days, to be a homosexual according to Nick Griffin, I am not surprised.

:mackems:

That's brilliant.

:mackems: :clap:

We've tasted the real highs in the last few years... it's going to be difficult to get our perspective back. Beating Barcalona in the Champions League to losing to Scunthorpe in the Championship is a long journey in a very short time.

11yrs isn't really such a short space of time.

even beating juve and drawing in milan was 6 yrs.

We've tasted the real highs in the last few years... it's going to be difficult to get our perspective back. Beating Barcalona in the Champions League to losing to Scunthorpe in the Championship is a long journey in a very short time.

11yrs isn't really such a short space of time.

even beating juve and drawing in milan was 6 yrs.

Souness took over 5 years ago. I'm surprised it's taken us this long to get here.

You sound surprised by the negativity of fans. We have suffered appalling mismanagement, been insulted by two successive owners who have made a total pig's ear of the club, have seen a popular manager forced out and have recently seen our team relegated. Our owner is now recognised as one of the worst in the business (if not THE worst) and I doubt there is any set of fans in the land who envies our position right now. How exactly are people supposed to feel?

I think it's absurd to suggest Newcastle fans are spoilt. In all my time following the club I have seen nothing but false dawns, poor management, money squandered, players who didn't care, but there was always hope. Yes there were highs but to see the club languishing where it is when we know and have seen its potential is what hurts most. We weren't spoilt, we were just shown a glimpse of what could be achieved, and football fans live on hope. That's all we've ever had and our situation has never felt as hopeless as it does now.

I wouldn’t say our fans are spoilt – more like hungry.

Obviously you’re right when you say that the club hasn’t been run well over the last 10 years, and that this has led to anger among the fans. But I’ve also seen the reverse process happen – the views of the fans influencing the owner’s decisions, to the eventual detriment of the club, which in turn leads to more resentment etc etc.

The bottom line is that Shepherd and Ashley should have been sufficiently strong and professional to ignore those kinds of pressures. The buck stops with them. But ours is a club where the fans do exert a lot of influence and so it’s easier said than done.

I don’t want to go into details that have already been debated to death here, but decisions were made in relation to Shearer and Owen as players, then Keegan and Shearer as managers, which have all badly rebounded on the club. Those decisions were influenced by what owners saw as ways of keeping the fans onside. In some ways we are a big club, but I don’t think the other big clubs are nearly as prone as we are, to those kinds of mistakes.

Guest neesy111

I wouldn’t say our fans are spoilt – more like hungry.

Obviously you’re right when you say that the club hasn’t been run well over the last 10 years, and that this has led to anger among the fans. But I’ve also seen the reverse process happen – the views of the fans influencing the owner’s decisions, to the eventual detriment of the club, which in turn leads to more resentment etc etc.

The bottom line is that Shepherd and Ashley should have been sufficiently strong and professional to ignore those kinds of pressures. The buck stops with them. But ours is a club where the fans do exert a lot of influence and so it’s easier said than done.

I don’t want to go into details that have already been debated to death here, but decisions were made in relation to Shearer and Owen as players, then Keegan and Shearer as managers, which have all badly rebounded on the club. Those decisions were influenced by what owners saw as ways of keeping the fans onside. In some ways we are a big club, but I don’t think the other big clubs are nearly as prone as we are, to those kinds of mistakes.

sorry the need to sign owen was a playing one to replace bellamy, that was a decision was made alone by souness, many fans would of kept bellamy and used the rest of the money on another striker i.e. own

the amounts of money football fans put in, they deserve to have their say, and demand success.  football cost's a fortune to go to now, compare this to before the premier league started, the proportion a fan spends will be far greater now