Can't handle this

Mowen

I guess in the days before the Web, supporters would've just turned a blind eye to the shoddy performances of the few games.

Interesting point. It has to have made some sort of impact in terms of the way supporters exchange views about the team - not least in terms of broadening the audience beyond just the local press etc.

The internet has made everyone an expert on everything.

As an aside Keef, as I'm sure you realise, I'm not just talking about complaining about shoddy performances.

I guess in the days before the Web, supporters would've just turned a blind eye to the shoddy performances of the few games.

Interesting point. It has to have made some sort of impact in terms of the way supporters exchange views about the team - not least in terms of broadening the audience beyond just the local press etc.

As an aside Keef, as I'm sure you realise, I'm not just talking about complaining about shoddy performances.

Coupling that with the point made by Consortium of One about it being like "having a bad case of depression and then going to hang out with a group of people that are just as depressed" gets you thinking really...

...places like this forum can all too easily become incubators of widespread discontent, nihilism and depression or they can become a place that fosters a bulldog spirit, a place where we cheer on not just the team but each other, building solidarity and a shared sense of determination.

"I have a dream..."

Coupling that with the point made by Consortium of One about it being like "having a bad case of depression and then going to hang out with a group of people that are just as depressed" gets you thinking really...

...places like this forum can all too easily become incubators of widespread discontent, nihilism and depression or they can become a place that fosters a bulldog spirit, a place where we cheer on not just the team but each other, building solidarity and a shared sense of determination.

"I have a dream..."

I was speaking to a mate in the pub the other day and he reckoned the internet was the worst thing that ever happened to football. He said you couldn't just enjoy it for what it was anymore and that you couldn't have an opinion on anything without being prepared to viciously fight your corner to defend it. Everything's analysed down to the most minute detail and it sucks all the fun out of it. Interesting point of view.

Bit controversial I guess but felt like I needed to make this thread.

I can't take this anymore - and I don't mean from the club. The reactions to us losing some games on here have been fucking pathetic of late in my opinion. No, I'm not happy and I'd rather be winning, but football doesn't work like that - you don't win every week. The OTT reactions (I know most of them are knee-jerk, but even so) are just pathetic. Several people say they can't be bothered with it anymore because we lost to Scunthorpe; I don't want to come across Superfan here but you signed up to support the team, you fucking support them whatever's going on.

Things like "this is pathetic, we shouldn't be losing to Scunthorpe". Why not? If they outplay us we should, that's how football works. Yes, we're all gutted with the damage Ashley has done to the club culminating in our relegation but football goes in cycles, everyone goes through lean years. Football is transient, nothing lasts forever and just because we've been better than a lot of teams in this division for a long time now doesn't mean we "should" be beating any of them, whatever that means. Part of the appeal of football is that it's constantly changing and you don't know what you'll get next. I think we might have been spoilt of late, my old man reckoned 16 years was the longest stint in the top flight he could remember.

The reaction to Hughton is one I find staggering. 5 games ago he was getting lauded for performing well above expectations and rightly so. Now it's changing and we've dropped a few points he's getting panned (even though I suspect not that many people would have expected us 2nd after 13 games with no investment and no change at the top). He's still the same bloke, out of his depth, doing his best the same way he has been all season: why have the attitudes changed so much? It seems as though we can't take losing.

No-one enjoys losing and it winds us all up, but reading some of the reactions to the inevitable dropping of points makes me understand why other fans sometimes get the impression that we feel we have a divine right to be in the top flight.

I don't think I've worded that anywhere near as well as I planned but the general point holds imo.

Spot on. Very good post. :thup:

"I have a dream..."

I was speaking to a mate in the pub the other day and he reckoned the internet was the worst thing that ever happened to football. He said you couldn't just enjoy it for what it was anymore and that you couldn't have an opinion on anything without being prepared to viciously fight your corner to defend it. Everything's analysed down to the most minute detail and it sucks all the fun out of it. Interesting point of view.

There have been posts on here (arguments) where posters have dredged up something the other person wrote years ago.

It's a bit sad really.

"I have a dream..."

There have been posts on here (arguments) where posters have dredged up something the other person wrote years ago.

It's a bit sad really.

Well if his mate said so, then this must be true. At the end of the day coming on to the internet your view, or reading others or debating with others is a choice. People have been doing this for years, through other mediums, ie. letter pages of newspaper or just in the pub with there mates. All the internet has done is open up new avenues to debate your point, but people need to take ownership here that it's their own bloody decision whether the chose to take part.

FWIW, fan pages of sports teams can be incredibly depressing unless things are going really, really well.  In 2004, a fan website devoted to the UConn Mens NCAA basketball team gained notoriety in the press because of the vitriol and negativity about the team in general and one player in particular.  The team wasn't playing bad but fans on the site were still disappointed for whatever reason and it got really nasty, almost to the point of embrassment.  That team went on to win the national championship, it's second one in 5 years.  That site has never been the same.  What was once a genuine community never recovered and although still in use, is a shadow of what it once was.

It's not just that site.  I frequent a number of fan sites and they are all pretty much the same.  Even when thing are going well, a gameday thread could be a cesspool of negativity.  This player sucks, that one be shipped off.  The manager is s*** and anyone who likes that guy is an asshole.  Honestly, if your not having fun rooting for your team, if it sucks so much that you feel compelled to constantly complain...why do you bother watching?

It's OK to complain.  It's OK to be disappointed.  It's even OK to be outraged with the travesty of the teams we have to watch at times.  But it its one thing to be disappointed or pissed off but its another to be contatly harping about this and complaining about that.  Shut up already and suck it up.  We get it.  Do us all a favor and try being a good fan and look at the positive and root for the team.  I swear, some people seem to take great joy in seeing their team go down in flames.

It sucks for me because I've only been able to see a few games here in the states and even though the club is in a promotion spot right now, almost all the posts are negative.  I've seen people ragging on Nolan and then he scores a goal and for a few minutes all is right with the world.  We know that Ashley has f***ed the club over.  We know that Hughton is a weak manager.  We know that the squad is thin, has some injuries and has some players that aren't very good.  Can we just get past all that?  Does it have to be posted over and over and over?  try looking at the positives.  They are there if you want to see them.  They really are.

Thanks for a very refreshing and articulate view from the other side of the pond.

I'm here in Newcastle and I totally agree with you.

Bollocks man.

People are allowed to complain and form any opinion negative opinion of the back of a few poor results.

It's not fickle and people certainly aren't taking pleasure from it.

We can't just pussyfoot around topics and only pick out the positives.

Oh and this place would be boring a fuck if we all just went along the lines of

"Oh well, we were poor there, but at least Nolan and Enrique played well. We're 2nd place, let hope we can win on Saturday"

It wouldn't be a discussion forum then. Just a boring place where we all came to say supportive things about the club.

Agree with some of that but we are posting on an internet forum. You’re going to meet the intelligent, the dumb, the reserved, the kneejerk, etc and therefore encounter a wide range of opinions some you agree with, some you don't.

Now I'll admit I was one of those who got carried away with our start to the season, but I still feel it is my right as a fan to complain when the manager gets it wrong, or when the players can't be arsed, or when we get thoroughly underperform for several games in a row. I totally agree someone coming out with "I'm not supporting this club anymore, we've lost to Scunthorpe for fucks sake" is a complete moron but he has every right to express that view no matter who idiotic it is.

Knee jerk reaction is part of football. Despite Benitez taking Liverpool to second place and two Champions League finals I highly doubt their fans will be sat there saying "We've lost five in a row but that's football". Liverpool do not have a divine right to win a majority of their games and neither do we, if we get outplayed we will get beat, but you can't tell me there will be one body of football fans who would be happy with four games without a win whatever their situation.

Our current form is set on a back drop of very negative circumstances. Extreme negativity is going to be a theme in a lot of opinions at this time. Similarly if we were sat in say Spurs position at this time I'm sure we'd see a lot of over-positivity on the forum, its human nature. So four wins without a defeat is simply going to exacerbate negativity, especially when that source of negativity is constantly lingering in the background.

So yeah football has it's cycles and during those cycles opinions change to the extreme sometimes. Maybe we have been spoilt but surely it's only natural for fans, some of whom, have paid their hard earned money to go and watch eleven men being paid over thirty grand a week to jog around like they don't give a crap to show frustration. I'm not a fan of the constant whinging either but you’re on an internet forum your going to read opinions you dislike and strongly disagree with.

"Oh well, we were poor there, but at least Nolan and Enrique played well. We're 2nd place, let hope we can win on Saturday"

It wouldn't be a discussion forum then. Just a boring place where we all came to say supportive things about the club.

As opposed to a boring place where we all come to say unsupportive things about the club...???

Oh and this place would be boring a f*** if we all just went along the lines of

As opposed to a boring place where we all come to say unsupportive things about the club...???

It's not everyone saying bad things though, that's why there's even an argument in the first place.  Most people are just trying to be realistic IMO, in a lot of our games this season (especially the defeats) the positives have been few and far between, it makes sense that a lot of posts will across as negative.

As others have said as well, you could already see the losses were going to come, the team was capable of keeping the early season run going but Hughton seems unable to get the team to play together.

Strangely enough I think this place has a great cross section of views, it's even demonstrated in this thread. There's a few other forums where certain views aren't welcome at all. I think this is mountain out of molehill material tbh.

FWIW, fan pages of sports teams can be incredibly depressing unless things are going really, really well.  In 2004, a fan website devoted to the UConn Mens NCAA basketball team gained notoriety in the press because of the vitriol and negativity about the team in general and one player in particular.  The team wasn't playing bad but fans on the site were still disappointed for whatever reason and it got really nasty, almost to the point of embrassment.  That team went on to win the national championship, it's second one in 5 years.  That site has never been the same.  What was once a genuine community never recovered and although still in use, is a shadow of what it once was.

It's not just that site.  I frequent a number of fan sites and they are all pretty much the same.  Even when thing are going well, a gameday thread could be a cesspool of negativity.  This player sucks, that one be shipped off.  The manager is s*** and anyone who likes that guy is an asshole.  Honestly, if your not having fun rooting for your team, if it sucks so much that you feel compelled to constantly complain...why do you bother watching?

It's OK to complain.  It's OK to be disappointed.  It's even OK to be outraged with the travesty of the teams we have to watch at times.  But it its one thing to be disappointed or pissed off but its another to be contatly harping about this and complaining about that.  Shut up already and suck it up.  We get it.  Do us all a favor and try being a good fan and look at the positive and root for the team.  I swear, some people seem to take great joy in seeing their team go down in flames.

It sucks for me because I've only been able to see a few games here in the states and even though the club is in a promotion spot right now, almost all the posts are negative.  I've seen people ragging on Nolan and then he scores a goal and for a few minutes all is right with the world.  We know that Ashley has f***ed the club over.  We know that Hughton is a weak manager.  We know that the squad is thin, has some injuries and has some players that aren't very good.  Can we just get past all that?  Does it have to be posted over and over and over?  try looking at the positives.  They are there if you want to see them.  They really are.

Thanks for a very refreshing and articulate view from the other side of the pond.

I'm here in Newcastle and I totally agree with you.

Bollocks man.

People are allowed to complain and form any opinion negative opinion of the back of a few poor results.

It's not fickle and people certainly aren't taking pleasure from it.

We can't just pussyfoot around topics and only pick out the positives.

Prime example of taking a post to an extreme it wasn't meant to go to.

I never said people shouldn't be allowed to complain or have negative opinions.

I never said it was fickle.

I never said anyone had to pussyfoot around anything and just pick out the positives.

Read the freaking post.  It's not black and white, either/or.  All positive would be just as tedious as all negative.  I'll not try to explain any further.