Stadium naming rights

Decky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A big problem for me is that this re-naming issue has become part of the general power struggle between Ashley and his opponents, and the True Faith article really brings it home. They might well be opposed to such a plan even under a different owner, but I can't imagine that the opposition would be as fierce or as rigid.

I then find it hard to sort out my own thoughts. I'm not really too bothered either way on the issue, but I find that kind of pompous crap such a turn-off that I lose all sympathy for the opposition.

NEWCASTLE United chief Derek Llambias has revealed the club's stadium will change its name to Sportsdirect.com@ St James’s Park for the rest of the season.

The Magpies' Managing Director said the club will change its name to demonastrate how the naming rights sell-off will work.

He said: "We are basically looking to explore and maximise our revenues.

"We have a great opportunity at the moment because our sponsorships are coming to an end.

"We have a kit sponsor, shirt sponsor and stadium rights sponsors.

"Our intention is to put a package together that would include the stadium rights which would include a jumbo screen which is great for the fans as well.

"Our intention is to have Sports Direct.Com@ St James's Park, we are never going to lose St James's Park.

"At the moment the Gallowgate End is Sports Direct.Com, we'd like to follow that through and take it for the rest of the season as a showcase as Sports Direct.Com@ St James' Park."

"We know the history, it is incredible and it is very passionate.

"There is an ownership to it and the history is wonderful, we are not trying take it away, we are just trying to add to the revenue to our club."

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-utd/newcastle-utd-news/2009/11/03/derek-llambias-reveals-st-james-s-park-name-change-61634-25084343/

:|

We get a big TV for letting some shit house company like SD lash its name on our stadium!  MINT

:facepalm:

Where the fuck is this screen going to go???

It just gets worse.

Can we not get some fathers for justice style contractors to knock off that daft sportsdirect sign above the gallowgate.

FWIW he said "for example sportsdirect@ St James Park"

It's not actually the name it was just an example from the prick.

No he didn't say that, where you pulling that quote from? This is what he said:

"Our intention is to have Sports Direct.Com@ St James's Park, we are never going to lose St James's Park.

"At the moment the Gallowgate End is Sports Direct.Com, we'd like to follow that through and take it for the rest of the season as a showcase as Sports Direct.Com@ St James' Park."

NEWCASTLE United chief Derek Llambias has revealed the club's stadium will change its name to Sportsdirect.com@ St Jamess Park for the rest of the season.

The Magpies' Managing Director said the club will change its name to demonastrate how the naming rights sell-off will work.

He said: "We are basically looking to explore and maximise our revenues.

"We have a great opportunity at the moment because our sponsorships are coming to an end.

"We have a kit sponsor, shirt sponsor and stadium rights sponsors.

"Our intention is to put a package together that would include the stadium rights which would include a jumbo screen which is great for the fans as well.

"We know the history, it is incredible and it is very passionate.

"There is an ownership to it and the history is wonderful, we are not trying take it away, we are just trying to add to the revenue to our club."

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-utd/newcastle-utd-news/2009/11/03/derek-llambias-reveals-st-james-s-park-name-change-61634-25084343/

:|

There are times when I get as annoyed with the owners as I do with those opposing them.

If you think that it's in the interests of the club to sell the naming rights to the stadium, then go for it. If you decide in the end that the opposition amongst the fans makes the plan unviable, then admit it and withdraw the idea.

I don't have strong feelings either way on the name, but one pleasing aspect of the plan was that at last the owners seemed to be showing some leadership. Looks like I was wrong there.

blahdeblah@stjamespark isn't the name of a stadium, it's just an advert. It all feels like a weak proposal which only makes the regime, and the club, look even more of a laughing stock and the butt of media jokes.

The whole idea, for better or worse, looks dead in the water now.

Guest Roger Kint

The idea that this email style rubbish is a 'showcase' suggests its a cheap ploy to entice bidders not that they are actually putting anything into NUFC via sports direct. The whole thing is destined to fail and disappear anyway imo.

The thing which is more worrying is where this jumbo screen 'for the fans' will go.  If i sat in the South East Corner i would be very concerned as its a prime location for it and will mean people losing their seats which they have had for got knows how long for in this misguided peacekeeping exercise. :knuppel2:

What a load of shit, nothing more to be said really. They realised getting rid of SJP would be unworkable, so now they want to tack something on to the name. This only makes them look more idiotic, and if anything makes the deal even less appealing to sponsors.

Just admit that selling the name was a mistake.

Whats going to be shown on this screen they are donating to us, more advertising space?

Great stuff.

At coventry they 'sponsor' corners.

Ahh the Gallowgate corner can have its own sponsor!

Whats going to be shown on this screen they are donating to us, more advertising space?

Great stuff.

Nah man, when a team wins a corner the screen says 'corner sponsored by...'  :facepalm:

There are times when I get as annoyed with the owners as I do with those opposing them.

If you think that it's in the interests of the club to sell the naming rights to the stadium, then go for it. If you decide in the end that the opposition amongst the fans makes the plan unviable, then admit it and withdraw the idea.

I don't have strong feelings either way on the name, but one pleasing aspect of the plan was that at last the owners seemed to be showing some leadership. Looks like I was wrong there.

blahdeblah@stjamespark isn't the name of a stadium, it's just an advert. It all feels like a weak proposal which only makes the regime, and the club, look even more of a laughing stock and the butt of media jokes.

The whole idea, for better or worse, looks dead in the water now.

If you actually woke up to what kind of people they are then you wouldn't be surprised by anything they do.

Great stuff.

Nah man, when a team wins a corner the screen says 'corner sponsored by...'  :facepalm:

Thats really bad. :dowie:

Really can't see anything wrong with this apart from loosing tradition.  But tradition shouldn't really stand in the way of securing extra finances for the club.

:doh:

Care to expand on what it is exactly that I am missing here?

Really can't see anything wrong with this apart from loosing tradition.  But tradition shouldn't really stand in the way of securing extra finances for the club.

History, pride, love, honour, roots, all that stuff.

Whether people want the screen or not, this is fucking embarrassing.  Did we hear the ins and outs of how they budgeted for screens at White Hart Lane, Wembley, Highbury when it was around, etc?  I remember Chris Mort going on about a screen a while back and saying it would cost a fair whack.  Other clubs would just do it or not do it rather than going on about it in the press, and this is yet another thing that makes us look like complete amateurs.  They just can't do anything right.  I'd love them to start doing stuff right because I'm bored of being fed up with them, but they're just completely fucking useless.

Work it out for yourself mate.

Guest toonlass

Ok bugger tradition. Lets change from black and white stripes to red and white stripes. And lets not play at our traditional newcastle location, lets move to Milton Keynes instead. And Newcastle United sounds too traditional, lets change to something more catchy. Catch my drift?

Think Blef's trying to say some things shouldnt have a price.  Would you be happy if we changed our names to Morrisons Marauders to make a few quid?

Ok bugger tradition. Lets change from black and white stripes to red and white stripes. And lets not play at our traditional newcastle location, lets move to Milton Keynes instead. And Newcastle United sounds too traditional, lets change to something more catchy. Catch my drift?

Look I get that people are somewhat upset about loosing tradition, but we need to consider what is best for the club at the moment. 

I imagine that many were origionally upset at sponsors names being printed on shirts - but now it is common practice and nobody cares.  It wouldn't suprise me if the selling of stadium naming right expanded significantly over the next decade - so why not move with the times?

Also, take a look at what selling stadium rights can potentially earn a team/francise: http://www.forbes.com/2006/11/14/baseball-mets-citigroup-biz_cz_kb_1114naming_slide.html

You do know that black and white is not our original strip colour too?  Albeit that we only had red for 2 years, it was still the original kit.  So we moved ahead of the times having a strip which did not class - this was a move for advantageous reasons.

Look I get that people are somewhat upset about loosing tradition, but we need to consider what is best for the club at the moment. 

I imagine that many were origionally upset at sponsors names being printed on shirts - but now it is common practice and nobody cares.  It wouldn't suprise me if the selling of stadium naming right expanded significantly over the next decade - so why not move with the times?

Also, take a look at what selling stadium rights can potentially earn a team/francise: http://www.forbes.com/2006/11/14/baseball-mets-citigroup-biz_cz_kb_1114naming_slide.html

You do know that black and white is not our origional strip colour too?  Albeit that we only had red for 2 years, it was still the origional kit.  So we moved ahead of the times having a strip which did not class - this was a move for advantageous reasons.

Whats best for the club is tha Mike Ashley fucks off.  And takes his rat with him.

He is taking this club to new depths adn to places we thought he never would.

So whats next in the name of money, money raised by the sheer fact of fans attending the games to which the money never seems to filter back into the team WE turn up to support.