Sol Campbell joins on one-year contract

Ericz
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I've just had a shudder thinking about Kenny Sansom, Ian Rush and John Barnes though.

The same John Barnes who finished top scorer? Even though he had the mobility of a supertanker, he was still a cut above in terms of passing and vision.

Me, personally, I loved Barnesy, I did! :smug:

I've just had a shudder thinking about Kenny Sansom, Ian Rush and John Barnes though.

The same John Barnes who finished top scorer? Even though he had the mobility of a supertanker, he was still a cut above in terms of passing and vision.

Aye, loved him that season.

He got good reviews at the start moreso because he cost 10 million, rather than any consistantly decent performances

Revisionist historian? :)

Nah i always had the same opinion of him that season. More credit than he deserved.

Gutted that it's taken us so long to get him, but I am actually glad he's finally here. Always been a real top-class performer for as long as I have been watching football and I'm just crossing my fingers that his legs have enough in them and his head is in the right place for the entirety of his time here.

Could prove to be a real shrewd acquisition if he stays fit and marshals the defence.

Sort of an "Patrick Kluivert/Alan Smith" feel about this deal, as if he was always going to play for us at some point (probably just due to the amount we were linked with them all before they eventually signed). If he can combine Smith's attitude and Kluivert's ability (despite being in the twilight of his career) then he'll be spot-on, but if he gets those two mixed up, we're fucked.

Me, personally, I loved Barnesy, I did! :smug:

yep, me too  :aww:

Guest icemanblue

Chris will have coached Sol at Spurs right? Could have been a factor in him signing.

That's a good point, you know. I don't know how this hasn't been picked up on before now.

Chris will have coached Sol at Spurs right? Could have been a factor in him signing.

That's a good point, you know. I don't know how this hasn't been picked up on before now.

Chris was there '93-'07 and Sol '92 - '01 so they may know each other pretty well.

Guest secteur2010

Sarcasm at it's best.

Guest icemanblue

Chris was there '93-'07 and Sol '92 - '01 so they may know each other pretty well.

Yeah, totally mate. I think you're definitely on to something here.