Memories from the 70s, 80s, 90s

cp40

Guest Brazilianbob

east stand  wasn't he. with the hammers in the east stand/leazes corner ?

I'm 99% sure they were in the corner of the Leazes, I was in the corner of the Gallowgate that day.

Correct I was in the centre paddock and saw the PB come sailing out of the east stand and land and explode in amongst the hammers fans in the east corner of the leazes.

can anyone remember the 5 or 6 a side football tournament that we played in,  used to be shown on Sportnight, might have even been live.  I remember stopping up to watch it with my dad, bearing in mind back then there wasn't that much football on TV it was quite a novelty, seem to remember us not being very good though!

can anyone remember the 5 or 6 a side football tournament that we played in,  used to be shown on Sportnight, might have even been live.  I remember stopping up to watch it with my dad, bearing in mind back then there wasn't that much football on TV it was quite a novelty, seem to remember us not being very good though!

It was once a year on Sportsnight with Coleman and we never seemed to get past the 1st round which was a shame cos we'd have had an open top bus and civic parade if we'd ever won it.

There was also that strange tournament held at Wembley, was it before a main event and 15 minutes each way or something ?

Also remember a ZDS cup match away to Tranmere which was probably 80s, it was live on Sky when Sky was very new and finished 7-6 or 6-6 ??  Remember a live interview at half time with some pissed up Geordies who were down for it. Class.

Anyone remember Big Darren,  he used to always be standing on the crash barrier in the scoreboard conducting the singing.  Think he got murdered at an away game in London(chelsea or QPR) when he had a run in with some Wigan Rugby league fans.

aye poor lad, got kicked to death, he never saw the great 90s team. used to stand right behind him in the scoreboard.

CP you must have stood beside me as well,  i hope you aren't the bloke who pissed in my mates pocket!! lol

:laugh: never pissed in a pocket, but a few times on them crash barriers, a lot easier than going to the bogs, which was no diffrence to the terraces when you got there.

Miss the old -who man hey man who man, and pushes where you could end up anywhere.

Roger Tames standing on the roof of the turnstile block in the Gallowgate (main stand corner) doing his bit for TTTV and having abuse sang at him.  Modern day TV crews have it sooo easy !

Re butchers coats.....wasn't it something to do with 'Clockwork Orange' or something like that?

You had to be REALLY hard to wear the butcher's coat. It was one up from a black and white tartan kilt with Doctor Martens.

i was one of the privileged who wore Dr Martens with Black and White laces,. taken from a pair of Mitre pro Ajax football boots. the only reason i bought the boots was to get the black and white laces for my Martens.

Re butchers coats.....wasn't it something to do with 'Clockwork Orange' or something like that?

You had to be REALLY hard to wear the butcher's coat. It was one up from a black and white tartan kilt with Doctor Martens.

i was one of the privileged who wore Dr Martens with Black and White laces,. taken from a pair of Mitre pro Ajax football boots. the only reason i bought the boots was to get the black and white laces for my Martens.

Flash git.

Chris Waddle perm, Diadora Borg Elite / Addidas Gazelle's, Farah Trousers, Lois Cords, Pringle Jumper's, Fila Roll Neck's,Gabicci T Shirts, Addidas Kagool's, Lacoste bought on Spanish hols a third of the price, Jeans with slits from the bottom to cover trainers.

Umbrella's, what was all that about ?  :knuppel2: think it was Carlisle away first saw them or maybe Grimsby.

I remember a 2-2 at home with Man Utd, wee Gordon Strachan scored for them and the ball got stuck in the stanchion.

Gazza and John Cornwall's hi 5 celebrations.

These memories are from long before the days of my Home Cinema setup.

My first memory of going into town was being in the Handyside Arcade with my Dad and a couple of lads came pelting past me, closely followed by some loons in butchers coats and white boiler suits.

Cracking thread btw, will try and think of something that hasn't been covered.

Supermacs First Ever appearance for Newcastle at SJP. Pre season '71 freindly against Benfica with  Eusabio, My first ever visit to SJP. I can actually remember some parts of the day.

I e-mailed Legends and Mac emailed me back with his memories of the day, said he Eusabio was awesome on the day.

Supermacs First Ever appearance for Newcastle at SJP. Pre season '71 freindly against Benfica with  Eusabio, My first ever visit to SJP. I can actually remember some parts of the day.

I e-mailed Legends and Mac emailed me back with his memories of the day, said he Eusabio was awesome on the day.

His competitive home debut against Liverpool has to be up there amongst the greatest ever days at SJP. Unforgetable, and Hibbit's contribution too.

His competitive home debut against Liverpool has to be up there amongst the greatest ever days at SJP. Unforgetable, and Hibbit's contribution too.

Hat-Trick, teeth kicked out, stretchered off , lol@ modern players.

Inter Milan at home in the Fairs Cup.  Fachetti the Inter and Italy right back commiting GBH on Wyn Davies every time we got a corner, in the days they got away with it and there was no TV evidence to resort to, and Wyn just shrugging it off and getting on with the game.

Being in town on the afternoon of the Rangers semi final - some places looked like they'd been bombed.

Woops !! that's the 60s ( well 69 anyway so it's nearly the 70s)

Hat-Trick, teeth kicked out, stretchered off , lol@ modern players.

We've had better players since, but for sheer magic moments and raw excitement (Burnley semi final, Leicester home etc etc even Arsenal away after he was sold)  nobody provided more than Supermac.

First game was Leeds in old paddock, Supermac got a bad injury, I cried so  much ( 5 or 6 years old ) we left early, but I managed to get an action man from the co-op on the way home to shut me up

so early 70s, I rekon your action man had the rigid hands, and you could never get him to hold his gun, thank god for gripping hands.

You're right, it was years later before the gripping hands, happy days.

Haway lads, lets get back to petrol bombs, aggro on the terraces, transit vans full of pissed up fans and brighly laced up DM's.

Action men FFS ! :laugh:

;D :cheesy:

Guest Brummiemag

I always remember someone making a noise, normally before kick off, really loud, hard to describe it in words, but a sort of cross between a red indian call and tarzan, you could hear it all around the ground or it seemed like that anyway.  I never hear it anymore.

Anyone remember this and what happened to the fella who used to do it?