Memories from the 70s, 80s, 90s

cp40

Here's a question for you relics, Did you prefer how football was in the 80's to now? Would you rather go back to unlimited away followings, standing on the terraces, shit grounds etc. rather than a money, top 4 dominated Premier league, all seater stadia, lack of atmosphere etc

No. The football is more entertaining now IMO, and I never thought that standing in the pouring rain was a great experience that needed to be preserved for future generations.

1978 but who cares?

The final game of the season when we staged a sit in because they were pulling it down.  They eventually sent in dogs to get us to leave.

The old leazes, im sure i saw people climbing the back to get in the gap at the back of the roof.

east stand  wasn't he. with the hammers in the east stand/leazes corner ?

I'm 99% sure they were in the corner of the Leazes, I was in the corner of the Gallowgate that day.

Was that the 4-0 game ?

nah don't think so. 0-0 i think.

east stand  wasn't he. with the hammers in the east stand/leazes corner ?

I'm 99% sure they were in the corner of the Leazes, I was in the corner of the Gallowgate that day.

i was in the e-wing paddock. the west ham fans were in that corner but i'm sure the bomb came from the east stand right next to the corner.

Guest toonlass

I just remember the crushes when I was a bairn. And sitting at the front of the Gallowgate as a bairn, and having been passed over people's heads to the front so that we could see. Loads of bairns and the adults all stood behind us.

i was in the e-wing paddock. the west ham fans were in that corner but i'm sure the bomb came from the east stand right next to the corner.

To be fair, you would have had a much better view than I did, I couldn't see the corner of the Leazes or the East Stand Paddock from where I was.

Guest Chris P

Who's the wankers in the corner, followed by the corner singing who's the wankers in the scoreboard. 1.50 to get in.

Them were the days. :razz:

Memories of the 80's are without question just turning up at the Gallowgate Turnstyles at 10 to 3, paying £1.50 on the day to get in.

It used to get so crowded in The Corner that it was impossible to move, I remember being struck on the back of the head by an object that landed in the hood of my snorkel jacket and I couldn't get my hands up to take it out until half time, it turned out to be a bottle full of piss!!  Glad it didn't break for more than one reason!!

Keegan as a player, Gazza, Waddle, Beardsely - absolutely great times!!

I remember a 2-2 at home with Man Utd, wee Gordon Strachan scored for them and the ball got stuck in the stanchion.

I thought we won that 2-1. Wasn't that the game that Paul Goddard scored for the 8th (might be wrong with the number) game running to set a record.

I miss the bloke who was a few rows behind me in the East Stand wing that used to do the Red Indian shout.

It was. That was the day of my 14th birthday (87) and I went with my dad, stood in the West Stand Paddock. There was a full house, a rumoured 10-15000 locked out and I remember lads in the trees in Leazes Park and on top of the Uni Dorms, trying to see in. I think either Glenn Roeder or John Anderson got the first. Strachan's was a belter from about 35 yards.

Speaking of the 80s, is that Neil McDonald who was in charge of Blackburn today the one that played here?

Yes, he looked a bit like Waddle but wasn't very good most of the time.

My old man used to call him 'Useless Useless'. He actually developed into a half decent full back.

With regards to the petrol bomber (I was too young to be there) - I'm nearly sure he ended up at Northgate Hospital, as when I worked there for a spell I got to meet him and one of the sparky's relayed the story to me. Nice fella from what I remember, but extremely gullible which is probably why he did it. Will have been egged on by others no doubt.

My old man used to call him 'Useless Useless'. He actually developed into a half decent full back.

He was one of those players that I couldn't believe we got a fee for, another was Kevin Scott.

He was one of those players that I couldn't believe we got a fee for, another was Kevin Scott.

Yup - neither were world beaters, but they were honest and played for the shirt. I'm also nearly sure Scottie scored on his debut v Sheff Wed? Think we lost 3-2 with Carl Shutt bagging the winner. I remember a fair bit from back then, as a youngster. Used to love the matchday experience of catching the supporters bus (Jordan's) from Bedlington, sitting at the back with my dad and his mates, going to the Companions Club and sitting in the lounge, then off to the game. Quality days as a kid. :thup:

I also remember in 1988, I could get the supporters bus to and from the match, pay to get in and still have a bit of change from £5. How times have changed!

I only went to one game when there were terraces at St James due to my age.  I was about 10 and the kids all sat on the advertising hoardings.  I thought it was bloody terrifying as if you got hit with the ball and fell off it was a 10 foot drop behind you.  At least I think it was, don't know if that's my memory playing tricks.

Game was 0-0 vs Chelsea, Chris Holland was getting a little run in the side for us at the time.

I just remember the crushes when I was a bairn. And sitting at the front of the Gallowgate as a bairn, and having been passed over people's heads to the front so that we could see. Loads of bairns and the adults all stood behind us.

taking the piss blef ?

Guest toonlass

taking the piss blef ?

Nope

taking the piss blef ?

Nope

i've been going since the 70's and don't remember kids being passed over peoples heads to the front.