Preston NE 0 - 1 Newcastle United - 23/11/09 - post match reaction from page 16

Dave

When's your next televised game? I'm getting addicted.

Step away from Newcastle before you fall in love with the club. It's a whole world of pain!

I'm used to suffer because of my football club!

Like the dark times in the late 1990s when we were s*** and... finished 6th in the league

What? Title wins in 98 and 99, cup wins in 97 and 98, Uefa Cup in 97. My heart bleeds for Barca fans in the late 90's like.

Think Simpson did well today and put in some quality balls. Was surprised to see Hughton take him off and his reaction suggested he thought the same.

It was a fitness thing I'm sure. There was no other logic to making the move

When's your next televised game? I'm getting addicted.

Step away from Newcastle before you fall in love with the club. It's a whole world of pain!

I'm used to suffer because of my football club!

Like the dark times in the late 1990s when we were s*** and... finished 6th in the league

What? Title wins in 98 and 99, cup wins in 97 and 98, Uefa Cup in 97. My heart bleeds for Barca fans in the late 90's like.

Hence the lower case  :razz:

(admittedly it was mostly our titleless stretch from 1999-2004, late 90s was misleading)

And you probably mean the Cup Winners' Cup, we have never won the Uefa Cup.

Harper - 7: Solid when rarely called upon

Simpson - 7: Had a good game prior to being taken off. Compensated well for Guthrie coming inside and put in a couple of quality crosses.

Coloccini - 7 : Didn't think he put a foot wrong.

Taylor - 7 : Again, solid.

Enrique - 7 : Thought Sedgewick gave him a fair battle but came out strongest. Delivery was close to being brilliant on a couple of occasions.

Guthrie - 6.5 : Anonymous in the first half but was much improved in the second. Showed some classy little touches for space and came forward well. Has to be played in the middle though.

Smith - 7 : Stalwart in the midfield. Stupid booking though,really ought to having a fucking word with himself at times.

Nolan - 6.5 : He scored...and that was it. Perhaps a tad harsh, but Guthrie and Smith offered a lot more in midfield for me.

Jonas  - 8 : I honestly thought he was our best player tonight. Yes, his finishing was atrocious, but his movement and work rate were second to none. Seems to have turned a corner after Peterborough and long may it continue.

Harewood - 5 : Didn't do much wrong with the ball at his feet but without it, he offers next to nothing. Ranger or Lovenkrands please.

Carroll - 6.5 : Battled as standard and showed some good footwork on occasion too. Struggled to get involved, but wasn't bad.

Subs

Ranger - 7 : Always like seeing him play. That initial moment of daftness aside, he looked direct, pacy, strong and very much a team player. Needs to play more though - coming off the bench will do nothing for him.

Kadar - 6.5 : Slotted in well after struggling with Mellor. Looks like he could be useful cover.

Lovenkrands - N/A : Didn't feel he was on for long enough but certainly looked sharp.

Nolan - 6.5 : He scored...and that was it. Perhaps a tad harsh, but Guthrie and Smith offered a lot more in midfield for me.

Aye, who needs goals eh? We're halfway to fuckdom if he's sold in Jan.

Watched the game live here in Oz and thought it was a strong workmanlike display. Against teams like Preston, we are too organised defensively because they had very little guile to get past us. Harper had very little to do and most of their shots were well wide or over the bar.

I thought we held possession quite well but our final ball, especially from the flanks (Jonas, Guthrie, Enrique) was woeful. We need to improve these areas most of all.

Harewood will not be staying. With Carroll, Lovenkrands, Ranger and Ameobi soon to return, there is no need to keep him as he gives us very little up front. Hopefully, Ashley will release the funds for us to get a Beckford type goalscorer in but our priority has to be a winger who can cross the ball accurately. I would like to see us sign Andy Driver from Hearts and switch Jonas to the right where he plays for the Argies.

I read that prior to this game, PNE had only lost twice at home in 12 months so winning as easily as we did shows that we have the quality to beat the majority of teams in this division and get promotion automatically.

If Carroll had been ill all day and was still ill when the match started,  why the hell was he playing/starting?  if we were down to the bare bones i could understand it but we had fully fit Ranger, Harewood, lovenkrands and the even new lad pancrate all able to play.  Even stranger that until Raylor pulled out he was going to be a lone striker.

Aye, who needs goals eh? We're halfway to fuckdom if he's sold in Jan.

I rated his performance, not his importance to the team, and in my eyes a goal (which, don't get me wrong, I'm extremely grateful for - a great finish) doesn't necessarily justify an otherwise fairly anonymous display. But I do agree, we'd be fucked without him.

Nice to see us win in the North West for a change,  we have a shocking record when we cross the pennines,  i think off the top of my head apart from a couple of draws our last win in the NW was Bolton away in Big Sams first game in charge!

Nice to see us win in the North West for a change,  we have a shocking record when we cross the pennines,  i think off the top of my head apart from a couple of draws our last win in the NW was Bolton away in Big Sams first game in charge!

did we not win bolton away last season 3-1? just before keegan walked?

Errrr no :lol: We lost 3-0, at Arsenal.

Watched the game live here in Oz and thought it was a strong workmanlike display. Against teams like Preston, we are too organised defensively because they had very little guile to get past us. Harper had very little to do and most of their shots were well wide or over the bar.

I thought we held possession quite well but our final ball, especially from the flanks (Jonas, Guthrie, Enrique) was woeful. We need to improve these areas most of all.

Harewood will not be staying. With Carroll, Lovenkrands, Ranger and Ameobi soon to return, there is no need to keep him as he gives us very little up front. Hopefully, Ashley will release the funds for us to get a Beckford type goalscorer in but our priority has to be a winger who can cross the ball accurately. I would like to see us sign Andy Driver from Hearts and switch Jonas to the right where he plays for the Argies.

I read that prior to this game, PNE had only lost twice at home in 12 months so winning as easily as we did shows that we have the quality to beat the majority of teams in this division and get promotion automatically.

Some great points there

Errrr no :lol: We lost 3-0, at Arsenal.

aye, i just checked, turned out i'm thinking of the wrong year.  :coat:

must of just tried to bloke out the memory of last season.

Just got back, absolutely loved it. Went absolutely crazy when we scored, first away game I've actually been in our bit and we've scored. Nice ground, absolute trek from the station though and no pubs anywhere near it. Their fans were shocking, had one five minute spell when they sang for an extended period. As for game first twenty mins we played well then let them come back into a bit. They never looked like scoring though and we were always more dangerous on the break and looked more creative in midfield. Fuck knows why Hughton took Carroll off instead of Harewood, who was shagged from about 15 mins in. Fair play though he had a part in the goal. Jonas should have buried his chance, but he and Enrique played well down the left. Back 4 was solid as usual.

Harper 6 - Hardly troubled.

Simpson 7 - Played well till he came off, got some good deliveries in.

Taylor 7 - Solid as always.

Coloccini 7 - Same.

Enrique 8 - Looked a class above again.

Guthrie 6 - Fairly average, didn't notice him much.

Smith 7 - Got stuck in and annoyed them.

Nolan 7 - Took his goal well looked good linking up with the forwards.

Jonas  7 Murdered them first 20 mins, touch was always first class and was very dangerous on the break.

Carroll 7 - Battled well

Harewood 6 - Looked shagged all the time, not fit but had a hand in the goal.

Subs:

Ranger 6

Lovenkrands 6

Kadar 6

Harewood has been rubbish since he came, but today I actually think he was allright, he actually fought well even when he lost the ball and he looked strong when he had the ball.

I was thinking the complete opposite. He fought for nothing and looked very weak on the ball, losing it in good positions frequently.

You surely cannot be serious about Kadar? He looks solid enough though.

Perhaps I'm getting a bit carried away with a lad who is a work in progress, but I don't rate either Taylor or Colo that highly, and sooner or later Kadar will overtake both.

Both Taylor and Colo will be colossal next season after spending a season in the Championship.

Its like going out to Idols after a dry spell, just to wet the whistle, then heading down to the Quayside next weekend with that experience in the lower leagues. Does wonders

:lol: :lol: Class, and so true.