Preston NE 0 - 1 Newcastle United - 23/11/09 - post match reaction from page 16

Dave

I thought we were poor, the game was there for the taking ,distinct lack of killer instinct,poor substitutions and it's only due to the poor mediocrity of the other clubs in the league we are where we are.Hughton is fortunate,promotion for sure but instant relegation beckons unless there are changes in management ,owner,players.

we were poor today, and won cos pne were worse.  am still trying to work out were guthrie was playing during the game, was he supposed to be on right of midfield?

really cant see us beating WBA in januarys title clash. we need better use of the ball in the last third!

One thing i did notice is how comfortable our played looked in this shit league, they seemed too relaxed at times and just played with such ease it was almost ridiculous, we just need to have proper players playing up front so we can start creating chances and scoring goals, we'll destroy this league if we do so.

Controlled the game against a toothless side - the fact that we hardly troubled their keeper illustrates all that is lacking in this team ; a decent striker to go with Carroll and a midfielder who can see openings and pass accurately.

Enrique once again made it look easy - our best player.

Jonas flatters to deceive as usual, Nolan got an excellent goal but did little else and the defence as a whole looked OK.

We cannot keep relying on the likes of Nolan to score the majority of goals - he certainly won't get them if the club goes up.

Carroll & Ranger upfront is all we need. That partnership will work and score goals, it already has done loads of times. Its just being ignored. Once Ranger gets a goal, those two will be a v good partnership.

Not again.

Guest Roger Kint

Carroll & Ranger upfront is all we need. That partnership will work and score goals, it already has done loads of times. Its just being ignored. Once Ranger gets a goal, those two will be a v good partnership.

It has? ???

Ameobi has scored just as many goals as Ranger and Carroll...

Lovenkrands and Carroll please...

Guest icemanblue

Yet again, I thought the TV commentary was biased last night. The only story they were interested in was plucky Preston upsetting the big club that keeps fouling up.

Noticed this, too.  They sounded very disappointed in the last ten minutes.

Another game where my feeling at the end was relief rather than elation that we'd won. Most of our games so far this season have been dirges. The Championship seems very poor. We're top and I'd say we've been awful in a lot of games and yet still won.

I've read a few interviews with Newcastle players where they've said they haven't had to hit top gear yet. Well pull your bloody finger out and do so and we might actually win games more comfortably!

Guest float one in

Andy Carrol might as well not be playing if we can't get decent crosses into the box. JOnas can't cross but he's a good player in this team, purely because he takes a bit of the pressure off and stretches teams a bit with his runs and ability to hold onto the ball... but we are wasting Carroll, who I reckon could be the most potent attacking player we have with the right service, in this league if not the Premier. Ryan Taylor is poo but he's put a few good crosses in this season if I remember rightly... surely better bet than Guthrie on the right, who also might as well not be playing. Enrique seems to have it in him to put a decent cross in, but he also suffers from Milner Syndrome, i.e. belting it about 20 foot over the strikers' heads most of the time. With Ranger, Carroll and Nolan we should just be bombarding teams from the wings... not ricket science, but it doesn't look like that's the game plan to me.

Another game we win because we have so much more quality than the opposition. Would have been far more had we had a proper striker alongside Carroll or Ranger, and someone down one of the wings who can get a good delivery in. Jonas scares defenders and is an asset, but if we had someone down the other flank who could consistantly deliver a good ball we would be laughing our way to the title.

commentary was poor. obvious that the pundits dont do their homework - especially when one of them mentioned the "naturally left footed gutierrez" cut in and shooting with his weaker right foot! just plain amateurish.

Yet again, I thought the TV commentary was biased last night. The only story they were interested in was plucky Preston upsetting the big club that keeps fouling up.

Noticed this, too.  They sounded very disappointed in the last ten minutes.

Yeah, towards the end when the injury time was announced they gave it "just enough time to create one last chance" but in a tone of hoping that they would.

instead of "can preston get a goal back"  etc etc and so on.

commentary was poor. obvious that the pundits dont do their homework - especially when one of them mentioned the "naturally left footed gutierrez" cut in and shooting with his weaker right foot! just plain amateurish.

I thought that as well.

But was it not actually Carroll? . . . . .

Another game we win because we have so much more quality than the opposition. Would have been far more had we had a proper striker alongside Carroll or Ranger, and someone down one of the wings who can get a good delivery in. Jonas scares defenders and is an asset, but if we had someone down the other flank who could consistantly deliver a good ball we would be laughing our way to the title.

We do have that, and no we're not.

I thought that as well.

No, it was Jonas.

Guest icemanblue

I thought that as well.

No, it was Jonas.

There was an instance where they said Carroll was Jonas. Think it was after Carroll had been fouled and the camera was showing him on the deck.

I don't think we have that much more quality than the opposition, we've won a lot of very close matches. We looked good in our half of the pitch, at the business end our end product was very much second rate like most teams in this division. Nolan's finish was class but it was the one flash of quality we showed all night. We were well organised and worked hard defensively though.

Being very organised (credit to Hughton/Calderwood) and a smart finish won another pretty scrappy game.

Although I'd love to see us winning easily theres great satisfaction in going away and winning 1-0 and never really looking like conceding once we're ahead. It's a hell of a long time since we could be confident at 1-0.

Maybe we need a Newcastle version of "1-0 to the Arsenal"