Barnsley 2 - 2 Newcastle United - 12/12/09 - post match reaction from page 22

Nate

Hughton will be sacked in no time if we go up.

He will but it will almost certainly be too late.

:nods:

Whatever minimal funds are made available will be spent on players who aren't good enough if his ability to spot a loan signing is anything to go by.

Which loan signings do you consider a flop then? Simpson? Harewood? Pancrate?

Harewood has been poor as has Khizanishvili.

Pancrate isn't on loan btw.

Pancrate isn't on loan? Well done for pointing out that relevant information.

Whatever minimal funds are made available will be spent on players who aren't good enough if his ability to spot a loan signing is anything to go by.

It's relevant to you saying he is like. :dontknow: :idiot2:

Equally well done to you of course for choosing that part of my answer to disagree with.

How many times have you watched the other 2 I mentioned & come away thing either of them played well?

Guest neesy111

hughton's team selection today show's he's got no bottle to make bold decisions, and his team selection was dreadful

carroll and nolan did one thing and create and score the first goal!

after that then their ability to attack or even hold the ball up was awful, tbf they had no help from the midfield with enrique again our best attacking player

Equally well done to you of course for choosing that part of my answer to disagree with.

How many times have you watched the other 2 I mentioned & come away thing either of them played well?

I would love to answer that if I could work out what it means

That's the way our away form has been though. We sit back and absorb pressure then attempt to nick a goal at the other end, it's not ideal but it has been effective for the most part.

I think Hughton does this because he knows we struggle to play football. Our midfield, the key reason we were relgated, has barely changed, only Guthrie can pass a football consistantly. While for the most part we get away with this at home, away teams will have a go, consequently they'll enjoy long spells of possession. Luckily for us most teams at this level don't know how to capitalise, today Barnsley did.

While it's frustrating Hughton chooses to play this way we've managed to win six out of eleven games on the road, which when you consider our home form is a very good return. If we went two up top and had a go I think our away form would probably look even better, but while we're top of the league with an eight point cushion it is difficult to complain.

We've been very lucky on a lot of occasions this season, both home and away.  I don't think we're getting the best out of what we've got and I only say that because it's a s*** league. 

Completely agree. If we even attempt to set up the way we have being away from in the Premier League we'd get ripped to shreds, the fact half the teams in this league lack cutting edge is one of the reasons we get away with it.

I'd really love to see us set up 4-4-2 and have a go every game, I think we're good enough to do it but while Hughton is winning games its diffcult to be too upset with how things are going.

On the button(both posts). Said before that the league is poor and major surgery will be needed to ensure no relegation if we go up this season ; that will also extend to the manager but neither action will take place if Ashley fails to sell.

We have only a few players who are up to real PL standard - Harper(OK), Enrique(will do well), Guthrie(but only as a squad player), Taylor(S) and possibly Simpson(if signed FT).

Krul is OK as a reserve keeper, Carroll as a reserve battering ram(although he has time to improve both skills AND attitude) and Ranger has promise.Coloccini has not done it at the top level, and there are questions as to whether his game is suited to it, and Jonas is too unproductive.

As for the rest, I don't think they will be up to it.

If the midfield cannot cope at this level, it certainly won't in the Prem and NONE of the forwards will cause Prem defences any trouble apart from Carroll at set-pieces, so you are looking at half a team....30m, even with a shrewd manager in charge - will Ashley pay that out ?

IF results are OK over Christmas, there is a reasonable chance of being able to get promoted, but then the REAL work starts.

Re my post above, I missed out Nolan - would survive in a PL side, but NO WAY would he get the number of goals he gets at this level.

I'm not too sure how effective he would be in the Premiership, he wouldn't get the space he gets in this division and he's useless without his goals.

Re my post above, I missed out Nolan - would survive in a PL side, but NO WAY would he get the number of goals he gets at this level.

He's been a complete class above in this league when it comes to reading the game in the final third/getting on the end of things.

Even if he's looked sluggish at times when the opposition has the ball, he's always one step ahead when we're attacking.  He's fired us to the top of the table and all credit it to him.  He also looks like he gives a damn.

I'm not gonna go ahead and write him off as a prem player if we get promoted, because he's doing all he can to get us back up there and right now that's all I care about.

I think it makes sense to criticize Hughton a little after a draw but not to much.

Regardless of how you look at it, his lineup/changes should have won that match after Harewood scored. The last time we conceded from a corner was back against Blackpool i think, so you cant put that down to bad training either. The subs you could complain about, Rtaylor & Carroll both had hands in our goals today though.

Even with two upfront, we dont often score more than two..our defence has been our key area and thats what let us down today not our ability to create and finish. Tbh their first goal was probably the big difference, near every other side we've played would have missed that...the lads blasted it and its sneaked into the roof of the net instead.

The best argument you can have is that we should be dominating games more, if we controlled games better the opposition wouldnt have so much possession & we'd likely create even more. The same argument why Gutierrez is useful really, the best form of defence is attack half the time. They had 11 corners to our 2, so its hardly unfair that they scored one.

So thats my main annoyance with him. As i say though, his tactics today should have won the match. It was the defences fault that they didnt not his.

I would love to answer that if I could work out what it means

If you can't work out where the one typo in that is there's little chance of you coming up with an answer to the question to suit your argument.

Although I think we've already established that.

Actually, I think that Hughton would be much better if he hadn't worked under Kinnear for almost six months. All that horrible, cunty, negative play seems to have been inplanted firmly into his head.

Don't think it's anything to do with Kinnear, just he's a cautious bloke who knows the fans didn't want him in charge in the first place.

It's certainly had an effect, running so many training sessions (on his own pretty much) that were 90% focused on defensive training.

Playing Devil's advocate but who can argue with only 12 goals conceded in 21 games? Throw in 8 points clear at the top of the League and 3 manager of the month awards out of 4...

We can all see the faults and deficiencies but he's got the results to back him up.

Personally I'd say the clean sheets are more down to the quality of the back four and Smith's form than the actual tactics. Having said that, Smith is almost like a third centre back at times, although whether that's how he plays the DM role or what Hughton has told him to do is anyone's guess.

Smith's form hasn't been good though.

will assume a contract will be given to both of them then,God help us

Guest Milburnthedog

Well, first things first. My young un loved it, from getting the thumbs up from the coaches as we passed in the car and he was showing his scarf to walking to the ground from the car park and watching the North Stand bouncing and reverberating with constant noise. "It's just like a home game, dad. But better". Brilliant stuff.

Barnsley were there for the taking. No better than the cannon fodder this league serves up week after week. Our team of 92/93 would have mullered them. Our team of 09 should have been set up to attack, but wasn't. We edged the first half and after the goal they wobbled. A Shola, perhaps a Lovenkrands or even a Ranger up with Carrol (who won everything in the air) would have put their feeble back line under more than they could have coped with. Unfortunately, the lack of pace and creativity in midfield meant that taken one of them out for the forward meant we'd not have coped with their young'uns in their midfield who were a yard quicker. I was impressed with Bobby Hassell, their right back who was composed, strong, quick and even scored the header. Darren Moore was a lumbering muscle man that Lovenkrands would have ran in to the ground but our midfield would have suffered.

Although it's nicer to watch us win more this term, I worry about this squad in the Premiership. We'd challenge Derby and the mackems for the lowest point total. Will Ashley sell? I doubt anyone would pay £200m for us. He'll stay and asset strip further (Enrique, S Taylor for a start) and replace with kids and loans. I worry for the future and there seems to be no real bright light at the end of this season. God, I hate to be pessimistic, it's really not in my nature and 35 yrs after watching my 1st game, I hate to feel this way. Still, it's only a game as the wife constantly tells me.

Happy Christmas chaps.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Well, first things first. My young un loved it, from getting the thumbs up from the caoched as we passed in the car and he was showing his scarf to walking to the ground from the car park and watching the North Stand bouncing and reverberating with constant noise. "It's just like a home game, dad. But better". Brilliant stuff.

Barnsley were there for the taking. No better than the cannon fodder this league serves up week after week. Our team of 92/93 would have mullered them. Our team of 09 should have been set up to attack, but wasn't. We edged the first half and after the goal they wobbled. A Shola, perhaps a Lovenkrands or even a Ranger up with Carrol (who won everything in the air) would have put their feeble back line under more than they could have coped with. Unfortunately, the lack of pace and creativity in midfield meant that taken one of them out for the forward meant we'd not have coped with their young'uns in their midfield who were a yard quicker. I was impressed with Bobby Hassell, their right back who was composed, strong, quick and even scored the header. Darren Moore was a lumbering muscle man that Lovenkrands would have ran in to the ground but our midfield would have suffered.

Although it's nicer to watch us win more this term, I worry about this squad in the Premiership. We'd challenge Derby and the mackems for the lowest point total. Will Ashley sell? I doubt anyone would pay £200m for us. He'll stay and asset strip further (Enrique, S Taylor for a start) and replace with kids and loans. I worry for the future and there seems to be no real bright light at the end of this season. God, I hate to be pessimistic, it's really not in my nature and 35 yrs after watching my 1st game, I hate to feel this way. Still, it's only a game as the wife constantly tells me.

Happy Christmas chaps.

He won't sell Enrique and S.Taylor if we get up and can't sell- He'll want to preserve as much of last season as he can and hope Hughton (Or whoever he installs) can make use of the old squad and limited funds to try and secure a Premierleague position, albeit in 16th or 17th, and then sell next summer. If we can survive in the premier league next season (If we do get promoted, a lot of you are still taking a lot for granted), to Ashley we could potentially be worth a lot more.

Actually, I think that Hughton would be much better if he hadn't worked under Kinnear for almost six months. All that horrible, cunty, negative play seems to have been inplanted firmly into his head.

Don't think it's anything to do with Kinnear, just he's a cautious bloke who knows the fans didn't want him in charge in the first place.

It's certainly had an effect, running so many training sessions (on his own pretty much) that were 90% focused on defensive training.

Playing Devil's advocate but who can argue with only 12 goals conceded in 21 games? Throw in 8 points clear at the top of the League and 3 manager of the month awards out of 4...

We can all see the faults and deficiencies but he's got the results to back him up.

Personally I'd say the clean sheets are more down to the quality of the back four and Smith's form than the actual tactics. Having said that, Smith is almost like a third centre back at times, although whether that's how he plays the DM role or what Hughton has told him to do is anyone's guess.

Smith's form hasn't been good though.

Then you are a bigger pessimist than I thought. He's had an excellent season so far, I'm not really sure how you can deny that. He hasn't been our best player, but he's done his job very well, particularly in away games.

Well, first things first. My young un loved it, from getting the thumbs up from the caoched as we passed in the car and he was showing his scarf to walking to the ground from the car park and watching the North Stand bouncing and reverberating with constant noise. "It's just like a home game, dad. But better". Brilliant stuff.

Happy Christmas chaps.

He won't sell Enrique and S.Taylor if we get up and can't sell- He'll want to preserve as much of last season as he can and hope Hughton (Or whoever he installs) can make use of the old squad and limited funds to try and secure a Premierleague position, albeit in 16th or 17th, and then sell next summer. If we can survive in the premier league next season (If we do get promoted, a lot of you are still taking a lot for granted), to Ashley we could potentially be worth a lot more.

Jesus I'm glad you're so confident.

I'll just be relieved to get through January with them still at the club.

He's been a complete class above in this league when it comes to reading the game in the final third/getting on the end of things.

Even if he's looked sluggish at times when the opposition has the ball, he's always one step ahead when we're attacking.  He's fired us to the top of the table and all credit it to him.  He also looks like he gives a damn.

I'm not gonna go ahead and write him off as a prem player if we get promoted, because he's doing all he can to get us back up there and right now that's all I care about.

Being ahead of anything in this league is hardly going to make him decent Prem material - if he looks sluggish in the CCC he will be positively snail-like in the PL.

If you read my post properly, it says he will survive in a PL team, but NOT get the goals he does at this level - have you a problem with that...?

Happy Christmas chaps.

Well said Milburn lad - the 92/93 side WOULD have mullered most teams in this league and DID 'muller' Barnsley 6-0 at SJP in March 1993 as I remember.

No way will this side survive in the Prem unchanged.