Barnsley 2 - 2 Newcastle United - 12/12/09 - post match reaction from page 22

Nate

Step son got back around 7pm. Says Barnsley were the much better side; we should look at this as a point gained.

No we shouldn't we were ahead twice and lost the lead. 2 points dropped.

Hmm, I see what you're saying but that kinda suggests were playing well. We haven't been playing well and despite the tremendous results we've been getting, save for the first 30 mins against Swansea, we've been very average.

The Smoggies will be a big test for us.

Equally though you could argue that because we're not playing well retaining the lead in games is even more important.

After the second went in today the players celebrated like they'd won the World Cup. Then promptly went on to do little or nothing to protect the points. Infuriating.

Actually, I think that Hughton would be much better if he hadn't worked under Kinnear for almost six months. All that horrible, cunty, negative play seems to have been inplanted firmly into his head.

Don't think it's anything to do with Kinnear, just he's a cautious bloke who knows the fans didn't want him in charge in the first place.

It's certainly had an effect, running so many training sessions (on his own pretty much) that were 90% focused on defensive training.

Playing Devil's advocate but who can argue with only 12 goals conceded in 21 games? Throw in 8 points clear at the top of the League and 3 manager of the month awards out of 4...

We can all see the faults and deficiencies but he's got the results to back him up.

Personally I'd say the clean sheets are more down to the quality of the back four and Smith's form than the actual tactics. Having said that, Smith is almost like a third centre back at times, although whether that's how he plays the DM role or what Hughton has told him to do is anyone's guess.

Smith should be playing the role Butt was asked to today, it was only today I truly realised how physically lacking Butt is in this league.

Only today? Kin ell Nixon.

They weren't the much better side at all.  We were crap, but i thought they were really appalling.

They were typical of many Championship sides I've seen us play tbh, they try to play decent football but are generally ineffective with it. If you knew nothing about the two teams today it would be difficult to pick out the one top of the league. So sloppy.

I thought they looked extra crap.  I find normally we don't look much better in general than other teams, but we can score and they can't.  I thought they looked no threat whatsoever and really didn't envisage them equalising, it's embarrassing that theY did.

Hughton will be sacked in no time if we go up.

Definately.

Not so sure. All depends who's owning the club at the time and I've stopped trying to second guess Ashley and his fucked-up 'logic'.

I think he'll be very quick to "protect his investment" if he hasn't sold it and he thinks it isn't going well.

He's binned Hughton on the basis he was "out of his depth" once before for someone with no experience, I'd fully expect him to do it again.

I mean once we're getting beat every week rather than before the season starts, FWIW.

The objective for now of course is to get back into the Premier League but the closer we get to that, the more worried I am about the managerial situation. Hughton should never have been given the contract he has, because every fucker will say he 'deserves a shot' at the big time if we gain promotion and it will end in tears.

I mean once we're getting beat every week rather than before the season starts, FWIW.

The objective for now of course is to get back into the Premier League but the closer we get to that, the more worried I am about the managerial situation. Hughton should never have been given the contract he has, because every fucker will say he 'deserves a shot' at the big time if we gain promotion and it will end in tears.

Bingo. :nods:

Guest Heneage

Actually, I think that Hughton would be much better if he hadn't worked under Kinnear for almost six months. All that horrible, cunty, negative play seems to have been inplanted firmly into his head.

Don't think it's anything to do with Kinnear, just he's a cautious bloke who knows the fans didn't want him in charge in the first place.

It's certainly had an effect, running so many training sessions (on his own pretty much) that were 90% focused on defensive training.

Playing Devil's advocate but who can argue with only 12 goals conceded in 21 games? Throw in 8 points clear at the top of the League and 3 manager of the month awards out of 4...

We can all see the faults and deficiencies but he's got the results to back him up.

Personally I'd say the clean sheets are more down to the quality of the back four and Smith's form than the actual tactics. Having said that, Smith is almost like a third centre back at times, although whether that's how he plays the DM role or what Hughton has told him to do is anyone's guess.

Smith should be playing the role Butt was asked to today, it was only today I truly realised how physically lacking Butt is in this league.

Only today? Kin ell Nixon.

Well I didn't see him at Coventry, and at home to Watford it wasn't highlighted. It makes no difference, Hughton won't change anything to him it's not broke so why fix it?

I'd like to think we'd be able to at least give Hughton a fighting chance by getting a few decent coaches and assistants in upon gaining promotion. At the minute, it just seems to be Hughton, Calderwood and Paul Barron, after that just one fitness coach and then the ones working with the youths.

I'd like to think we'd be able to at least give Hughton a fighting chance by getting a few decent coaches and assistants in upon gaining promotion. At the minute, it just seems to be Hughton, Calderwood and Paul Barron, after that just one fitness coach and then the ones working with the youths.

Hughton has no chance, simply because he isn't good enough.

Hughton has no chance, simply because he isn't good enough.

Neither are most of the managers working in the English league at the moment. The ones who are actually astute enough to make a real difference you can count on one hand. Most are prize pillocks. Megson? Allardyce? Phil Brown? All plying their trade in the top division and earning thousands for their "knowledge".

:nods:

Whatever minimal funds are made available will be spent on players who aren't good enough if his ability to spot a loan signing is anything to go by.

It doesn't matter who he brings in if he doesn't know how to use them.

He will but it will almost certainly be too late.

Whatever minimal funds are made available will be spent on players who aren't good enough if his ability to spot a loan signing is anything to go by.

Which loan signings do you consider a flop then? Simpson? Harewood? Pancrate?

To be fair to Hughton, Simpson has been a great loan signing, Harewood has been naff but has the same goals tally as Carroll in far fewer games, Khizanishvili has been a bit rubbish but mainly cover. Two out of three ain't bad?

He will but it will almost certainly be too late.

Which loan signings do you consider a flop then? Simpson? Harewood? Pancrate?

Harewood has been poor as has Khizanishvili.

Pancrate isn't on loan btw.