Barnsley 2 - 2 Newcastle United - 12/12/09 - post match reaction from page 22

Nate

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Well, first things first. My young un loved it, from getting the thumbs up from the caoched as we passed in the car and he was showing his scarf to walking to the ground from the car park and watching the North Stand bouncing and reverberating with constant noise. "It's just like a home game, dad. But better". Brilliant stuff.

Barnsley were there for the taking. No better than the cannon fodder this league serves up week after week. Our team of 92/93 would have mullered them. Our team of 09 should have been set up to attack, but wasn't. We edged the first half and after the goal they wobbled. A Shola, perhaps a Lovenkrands or even a Ranger up with Carrol (who won everything in the air) would have put their feeble back line under more than they could have coped with. Unfortunately, the lack of pace and creativity in midfield meant that taken one of them out for the forward meant we'd not have coped with their young'uns in their midfield who were a yard quicker. I was impressed with Bobby Hassell, their right back who was composed, strong, quick and even scored the header. Darren Moore was a lumbering muscle man that Lovenkrands would have ran in to the ground but our midfield would have suffered.

Although it's nicer to watch us win more this term, I worry about this squad in the Premiership. We'd challenge Derby and the mackems for the lowest point total. Will Ashley sell? I doubt anyone would pay £200m for us. He'll stay and asset strip further (Enrique, S Taylor for a start) and replace with kids and loans. I worry for the future and there seems to be no real bright light at the end of this season. God, I hate to be pessimistic, it's really not in my nature and 35 yrs after watching my 1st game, I hate to feel this way. Still, it's only a game as the wife constantly tells me.

Happy Christmas chaps.

He won't sell Enrique and S.Taylor if we get up and can't sell- He'll want to preserve as much of last season as he can and hope Hughton (Or whoever he installs) can make use of the old squad and limited funds to try and secure a Premierleague position, albeit in 16th or 17th, and then sell next summer. If we can survive in the premier league next season (If we do get promoted, a lot of you are still taking a lot for granted), to Ashley we could potentially be worth a lot more.

Jesus I'm glad you're so confident.

I'll just be relieved to get through January with them still at the club.

We'll all be nervous in January about losing them but let's see it this way- Ashley wants to  get us promoted so he can sell for more. Simple. He isn't stupid (Well) and knows that losing two of our best players could hinder our chances, because quite frankly, losing those two would mean our defence would be a lot weaker and without Enrique as an outlet down the left- We wouldn't score or create half as many chances. So in my opinion, he won't sell them in January.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/Kaizero/DEFECEA.png "DEEEEEEEEFEEEEEEEEENCCCCEEEEE!!!"

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/Kaizero/smithyys.png "WHAAAAAAAAT?!"

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/Kaizero/defence.png "DEFEEEEENCEEE; BEHIND THE BALL LADS DEFEND DEFEND DEFEND!"

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/Kaizero/Untitled-10.png "I'm Kevin Nolan."

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/Kaizero/smitthy.png "WHAAAAAAAAAT?!"

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/Kaizero/DEFECEA.png "ALAN, MAKE NOLAN GO INTO DEFENCE!"

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/Kaizero/Untitled-1-1.png "...."

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/Kaizero/santa1.png

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/Kaizero/defence.png "WHERE THE FUCK IS KEVIN?!"

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/Kaizero/smithyys.png "I DON'T KNOW!"

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/Kaizero/santa2.png "I'm Santa."

Quoted for Kezman who missed it :pow:

Guest michaelfoster

Anyone else in the marquee thing before the match?

Yeah it was wierd, looked like we had been at someone's wedding the night before, the burgers were gash too

Did anyone get that s**** train back to leeds? took about an hour

Aye, hellish journey that was. I was expecting to be on for about 20 mins, how wrong i was. Pulled into Castleford then reversed out to chants of "we're going back to Barnsley". Was supposed to be on the 18:35 from Leeds but missed it as a result.

Did anyone get that s**** train back to leeds? took about an hour

Aye, hellish journey that was. I was expecting to be on for about 20 mins, how wrong i was. Pulled into Castleford then reversed out to chants of "we're going back to Barnsley". Was supposed to be on the 18:35 from Leeds but missed it as a result.

I was on it too. Seemed to go on forever :lol:

Just seen their second goal, why wasn't there anyone on the post?

I thought that. Basic.

Might have something to do with the fact that we've had the same back for for about a month now and not conceded a goal, then we make two changes, and let in two goals. Enrique normally has one of the posts.

Actually, I think that Hughton would be much better if he hadn't worked under Kinnear for almost six months. All that horrible, cunty, negative play seems to have been inplanted firmly into his head.

Don't think it's anything to do with Kinnear, just he's a cautious bloke who knows the fans didn't want him in charge in the first place.

It's certainly had an effect, running so many training sessions (on his own pretty much) that were 90% focused on defensive training.

Playing Devil's advocate but who can argue with only 12 goals conceded in 21 games? Throw in 8 points clear at the top of the League and 3 manager of the month awards out of 4...

We can all see the faults and deficiencies but he's got the results to back him up.

Personally I'd say the clean sheets are more down to the quality of the back four and Smith's form than the actual tactics. Having said that, Smith is almost like a third centre back at times, although whether that's how he plays the DM role or what Hughton has told him to do is anyone's guess.

Smith's form hasn't been good though.

Then you are a bigger pessimist than I thought. He's had an excellent season so far, I'm not really sure how you can deny that. He hasn't been our best player, but he's done his job very well, particularly in away games.

He hasn't had an excellent season at all, it's quite easy how I can deny that. Started off brightly but he doesn't move from the centre circle, his passing is poor, dives in far too much (for a player of his experience he should no better) he is a liability as well with regards to getting booked all of the time. The only thing which I like he offers is height at times when the opposition keeper punts it long as he drops back a bit and helps the defence out. But overall I'm not impressed with him this year.

There was no need for a number of police around the town yesterday. You couldn't fuckin move without seeing someone in yellow coat. When we got off the train they basically forced us up to this leisure centre with a massive tent thingy on the side. It was awful so we went into town where there was a good atmosphere and not a hint of trouble. Fuck knows what the police were expecting. No need for the numbers yesterday.

I was on that train back too. A bit packed and seemed to go on for ever. It was like a tour of the Super League or something.

We stayed out for a couple after the match before going back to our digs, at about half 6 we (4 of us) were in the bar opposite Chennells on Wellington Street, in Toon tops. We were getting ready to leave when the manager said it was for the best if we did go (10 coppers had randomly came in not long before aswell), apparently there Barnsley fans coming in looking for a fight.

When we first went in we in a bigger group, about 15, and 3 locals (looking pissed off) walked out, then they came back in as we were going out, with a big group of more locals, outside there was 2 Police vans and a load more Police. Fucking shite how we couldn't have a quite drink without hassle from the inbred locals.

We stayed out for a couple after the match before going back to our digs, at about half 6 we (4 of us) were in the bar opposite Chennells on Wellington Street, in Toon tops. We were getting ready to leave when the manager said it was for the best if we did go (10 coppers had randomly came in not long before aswell), apparently there Barnsley fans coming in looking for a fight.

When we first went in we in a bigger group, about 15, and 3 locals (looking pissed off) walked out, then they came back in as we were going out, with a big group of more locals, outside there was 2 Police vans and a load more Police. f***ing s**** how we couldn't have a quite drink without hassle from the inbred locals.

One of the reasons I don't wear colours.

Guest Heneage

It's an absolute hole of a town to be honest. All the way up the road out some bloke was shouting 'Well for top of the league they were shite' wanting some sort of reaction I assume. It just would have been nice if their fans had used that passion during the 90 minutes to out least try and outsing us once.

It's an absolute hole of a town to be honest. All the way up the road out some bloke was shouting 'Well for top of the league they were shite' wanting some sort of reaction I assume. It just would have been nice if their fans had used that passion during the 90 minutes to out least try and outsing us once.

Had to listen to a load of shite coming out of the ground, though it shouldn't have been a surprise with 7,000 of us and a load of them all coming out at same time.

Bizarre, because all I got was 'good luck lads', 'hope you go up' etc....

Yeah I had a real good chat with a load of the fans in the chip shop before the game however they would have been more wound up at the end of the game but still didnt encounter any problems with them.

Guest Heneage

Bizarre, because all I got was 'good luck lads', 'hope you go up' etc....

Nah me and Dave were stood next to this right dick head shouting his mouth, then a couple of kids barged past and muttered something.

Reading one of their forums they reckon they out played and out sang us.