Michael Owen (now retired)

Keefaz

One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?  

648 members have voted

1. 1. One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?

• I envy the deaf.

He's on the money, the reasonable b******. Die in a fire you even handed prick.

You are taking the piss.

We've got a good scouting system, big money signings hadn't worked out for us, we're 8th in the league which isn't that bad, our fans are more unhappy when we're losing, his own stint here didn't work out, we can't compete with the mega-rich clubs, and he had no problems with Kinnear but felt he was from a bygone era.

Controversial.

I'm quite inclined to agree. Only thing exceptionally wrong with that article in itself is that Michael Owen is talking about football. The content is fairly boring common knowledge that gets discussed on this forum on a regular basis, only now an absolute cunt is saying it so fuck the police.

while he is correct in the basics it goes beyond that, simply put things could be a lot worse (and lord knows they have been) but things could be a lot better the club runs with a skeleton staff on all levels from the boardroom and money departments etc to the coaching staff right down to the playing staff. It doesn't require massive investment to improve 2 of those, more better qualified people on a board level will improve basic things like communication and PR (which is a disaster area) to the more complex like better sponsorship deals to maximize the resources available to the club.

An increased coaching staff would bring new ideas to the table on the first team level and other ways of coaching and maybe even new tactical idea's, increasing the coaching staff further down increases the probability of bringing through youngsters to the first team and saving money in the long run. Hell even the scouting department could do with a little more investment, more scouts covering a wider area so we're not just trying to tap into a depleting market in France where they've more than caught up with our transfer tactics.

The playing side is a bit more difficult and while in the short to medium term we'll never be able to match the spending power of City, Chelsea and co that doesn't mean we should give up. They can have greater proven quality of depth in squad than us obviously but we don't bother with depth at all, the best tactic for us to try to compete is either improve our academy (not a quick fix) or take gambles on young players from for example the lower leagues sure it mightn't work but better than trying to stand still which will only end up in us going backwards.

Also fuck you owen fuck you

You are taking the piss.

We've got a good scouting system, big money signings hadn't worked out for us, we're 8th in the league which isn't that bad, our fans are more unhappy when we're losing, his own stint here didn't work out, we can't compete with the mega-rich clubs, and he had no problems with Kinnear but felt he was from a bygone era.

Controversial.

we have a good scout, not a good scouting system, a good scouting system would cover a far wider area than France, why do we seem to have nobody looking at lower leagues or hell even kids from the CL sides, sure they might not be good enough right now to even threaten their respective first teams but it could be worth a gamble that they get something wrong and let go of a good player (see Matic at chelsea given away as makeweight for Luiz then brought back for £20m-horrific by Chelsea). We can't compete directly with the mega rich clubs, I get that but that just means we need to be smarter than them, they tend to play things safe pay the bit more for the proven player because they can afford the costs we just have to gamble on the unproven the one with a point to prove it might not work but at least we'd be trying to compete which is better than giving up because then whats the point? If your not even going to try then what is the point of Newcastle United Football Club? Just there to make up numbers? I don't expect success I do expect an effort to improve the club which there is currently not from Ashley.

Controversial.

OK, I'll bite.  One of our most expensive players was Shearer and he worked out perfectly for us, it was never what we paid, it was who we bought.  We're 8th in the league and I refuse to accept that is our level while Everton are in the top 6, something which he seems to think is beyond us, if they can do it then we should be able to.  Our fans being more unhappy when we lose is the same as the fans of every other competitive team sport so why even mention it?  As for mega rich clubs, look at Everton.  You don't even have to look at Everton, look at who won both domestic cups last season.

:jesuswept:

So you're quibbling over not being 2 places higher in the league. Want us to return to the transfer policies that brought us Owen, Martins, and relegation. Not concentrating enough on the cups. And denying the cringe-worthy, spiteful, echo chamber this place becomes when we lose a few on the bounce?

Yeah, he's the one in the wrong here.

What a load of bollocks, you're just invented something I haven't said and Everton are 5th which is 3 places higher and they're in a position to qualify for Europe which is hardly quibbling.

Oh, so where we finished not even two years ago.

Have you never heard of the saying which involves chickens, hatching and counting..?

I suggest you wait until the end of THIS season before you start crowing about either where we are now or something that we fluked 2 years ago and don't stand a cat in hell's chance of repeating.

Controversial.

OK, I'll bite.  One of our most expensive players was Shearer and he worked out perfectly for us, it was never what we paid, it was who we bought.  We're 8th in the league and I refuse to accept that is our level while Everton are in the top 6, something which he seems to think is beyond us, if they can do it then we should be able to.  Our fans being more unhappy when we lose is the same as the fans of every other competitive team sport so why even mention it?  As for mega rich clubs, look at Everton.  You don't even have to look at Everton, look at who won both domestic cups last season.

So you're quibbling over not being 2 places higher in the league. Want us to return to the transfer policies that brought us Owen, Martins, and relegation. Not concentrating enough on the cups. And denying the cringe-worthy, spiteful, echo chamber this place becomes when we lose a few on the bounce?

What a load of bollocks, you're just invented something I haven't said and Everton are 5th which is 3 places higher and they're in a position to qualify for Europe which is hardly quibbling.

Have you never heard of the saying which involves chickens, hatching and counting..?

I suggest you wait until the end of THIS season before you start crowing about either where we are now or something that we fluked 2 years ago and don't stand a cat in hell's chance of repeating.

We're a hell of a lot closer to 5th than we are to 17th.

Controversial.

We don't have a cat in hell's chance of finishing up in either of those positions.

Controversial.

We don't have a cat in hell's chance of finishing up in either of those positions.

Perhaps not. But I object to the fact the 5th place was the fluke while 17th is an accurate reflection of how the club is doing. Why isn't it the other way around? As I've pointed out, we're closer to 5th right now than we are to 17th.

More to the point, if 5th isn't where we deserve to be, why is Michael Owen the cunt for echoing the same sentiment saying 8th is about right for us at the moment?

I don't want to be the one defending Pardew and tossers like Owen, but some of the biases on here are ridiculous. Can't see the wood for the trees.

You are taking the p*ss.

Controversial.

we have a good scout, not a good scouting system, a good scouting system would cover a far wider area than France, why do we seem to have nobody looking at lower leagues or hell even kids from the CL sides, sure they might not be good enough right now to even threaten their respective first teams but it could be worth a gamble that they get something wrong and let go of a good player (see Matic at chelsea given away as makeweight for Luiz then brought back for £20m-horrific by Chelsea). We can't compete directly with the mega rich clubs, I get that but that just means we need to be smarter than them, they tend to play things safe pay the bit more for the proven player because they can afford the costs we just have to gamble on the unproven the one with a point to prove it might not work but at least we'd be trying to compete which is better than giving up because then whats the point? If your not even going to try then what is the point of Newcastle United Football Club? Just there to make up numbers? I don't expect success I do expect an effort to improve the club which there is currently not from Ashley.

:thup:

Controversial.

I guess I need to spell it out - THERE ARE NEARLY 3 MONTHS LEFT TO GO..can you see where the next win - or even goal - is coming from..??

Pity he didn't discuss our approach to cup competitions a bit more where, using his own assessment, we should reasonably expect to reach at least the quarter finals most seasons. Difficult to see any argument about our league position other than we should be competing with Everton for 7th. Yippee.

Perhaps not. But I object to the fact the 5th place was the fluke while 17th is an accurate reflection of how the club is doing. Why isn't it the other way around? As I've pointed out, we're closer to 5th right now than we are to 17th.

More to the point, if 5th isn't where we deserve to be, why is Michael Owen the c*** for echoing the same sentiment saying 8th is about right for us at the moment?

I don't want to be the one defending Pardew and tossers like Owen, but some of the biases on here are ridiculous. Can't see the wood for the trees.

If we finish 8th this season our average under Pardew will be 10th, one position from being equally distanced between 5th and 17th.  Nice finger pointing at the end though while showing masses of hypocrisy.

I think Owen is right that we only deal in extremities and there is no in between. It's been said by Mick Lowes and John Anderson recently as well, not just the cunt that Owen is. That's not to say we don't have a reason to be livid right now, but i do think more than most clubs it is in our nature to put a significant amount of emotion in.

I think Owen is right that we only deal in extremities and there is no in between. It's been said by Mick Lowes and John Anderson recently as well

:lol:

Ridiculous that you'd use those two utter cunts to defend Michael Owen. Sod off.

• 2 weeks later...
Author: Phil Marriott is a Newcastle fan and blogger for NUFCfans.co.uk in amongst working as a care worker and spending time with his wife! Phil writes about current issues concerning Newcastle United

Howay Phil man, you utter cunt.

Author: Phil Marriott is a Newcastle fan and blogger for NUFCfans.co.uk in amongst working as a care worker and spending time with his wife! Phil writes about current issues concerning Newcastle United

Howay Phil man, you utter c***.

Spending time with his wife? :lol: That seems extremely relevant